XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR vs XFR-S Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default XFR vs XFR-S Exhaust

Hello all,
do someone knows if there's a difference between exhaust of XFR and XFR-S Exhaust Performance System. Especially if there's a difference in sound. I want to buy the pair of mufflers from XFR-S and put on mine XFR but I am afraid if it will make any noticeble difference:

Thank you for any thoughts and infos.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by raulan
Hello all, do someone knows if there's a difference between exhaust of XFR and XFR-S Exhaust Performance System. Especially if there's a difference in sound. I want to buy the pair of mufflers from XFR-S and put on mine XFR but I am afraid if it will make any noticeble difference: Thank you for any thoughts and infos.
Depends on the $. I would not think there would be much, if any difference. I think most of the changes with the XFRS is up stream in the exhaust. Your better off with Mina Exhaust and delete your resonators and add a X pipe if desired.

The following users liked this post:
raulan (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 09:36 AM

I did all of this several time but still miss the real "Jaguar sound" - which is not so low as aftermarket exhausts. Resonators are replaced with smoother ones, and custom x-pipe is installed, now I miss cracks and pops when downshifting. Rear mufflers are now Magnaflow, sounds awesome, but not really what I wanted, so thinking about puting there those mufflers... Thanks for reply tho.

IppoJ (09-29-2017)
Old 12-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by raulan
I did all of this several time but still miss the real "Jaguar sound" - which is not so low as aftermarket exhausts. Resonators are replaced with smoother ones, and custom x-pipe is installed, now I miss cracks and pops when downshifting. Rear mufflers are now Magnaflow, sounds awesome, but not really what I wanted, so thinking about puting there those mufflers... Thanks for reply tho.
Try some Remus Mufflers. They tend to sound more exotic. Pricey though.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

There is a big difference. I can speak from experience as I used to have an XFR and now drive an XFR-S. The XFR-S sounds more aggressive, with more of a typical V8 growl, and crackles and pops a lot when letting off the throttle, which is something the XFR really didn't do. It is still pretty quiet inside the car but it is a lot louder outside. Imagine an F-type R exhaust (if you haven't heard one try youtube) with the volume turned down. Not sure how much of the difference is due to the rear muffler (which is what you seem to be thinking about) versus the central X-pipe which is unique to the XFR-S.

The other noticeable difference is in the induction noise although this may not be related to the exhaust and may be due to how the sound is transmitted to the cabin. In the XFR-S you can hear the supercharger whine. It is quite subtle but you can definitely notice it. In the XFR it wasn't really audible at all.

Last edited by sybarite; 12-06-2014 at 12:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sybarite:
Panthro (10-05-2016), raulan (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 08:21 AM

Thank you for your note!
So if I understood correctly, XFR-S has X-pipe from factory?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes. Straight from the original XFR-S press release:

"The exhaust system has been optimised in order to channel the waste gases away from the engine with the greatest efficiency. The central silencer has been replaced with an X-piece and near straight-through rear pipes combining to provide an enhanced exhaust note with the added benefit of a motorsport-style crackle on the overrun."

Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

If this link works, it is how my XKR came out after I had the centre resonators removed and the X-pipe put in. It sounds wicked. Cheap mod, too.
https://www.facebook.com/southportex...type=1&theater

raulan (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 05:24 AM

looks nice, exactly like mine, except I added too PowerFlow silencers on each tube for more comfort, but still too loud. Gonna put back original XFR catback soon.

Heres the version with one magnaflow silencer, wass pretty low and vibrating. After few months with loud exhaust - comfort is on the first place for me

And here's a video with a result from some guy:

The following 3 users liked this post by raulan:
Blackcoog (12-12-2014), bollocsk187 (02-07-2015), Panthro (10-05-2016)
Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Man that is one pretty exhaust!!

Wonderful fabrication.

raulan (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 04:48 PM

Beautiful exhaust!!! I'm just wondering were the front two bungs are for the AFR? I noticed you have two bungs down stream, aren't the two up stream the ones you need for the car to mix fuel and air?

raulan (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Thanks!
I will ask that exhaust company tomorrow about it.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:48 AM

Can someone from XFRS owners post picture how does the car look from downside please?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have been looking for an image of the stock xfrs exhaust from under the car. I can't find an image anywhere online. If someone has an image they could post it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

so basically if i am understanding all of this correct.....XFR and XFRS have the same exhaust parts, difference being the X pipe in the middle?

Old 02-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
so basically if i am understanding all of this correct.....XFR and XFRS have the same exhaust parts, difference being the X pipe in the middle?
Not quite.
The XFR has two central mufflers, with the first one (closest to the engine) being a real muffler and the second one is a resonator.
On the XFR-S the first muffler has been replaced with an X-pipe, but the resonator is still there.
Also, the XFR-S rear mufflers (one each side) are smaller and less restrictive than the XFR mufflers.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

This whole x-pipe thing is not as straight forward as it seems...

On the X150 XKR & XKR-S there is an obvious difference between the two exhausts, the XKR has two resonators, the XKR-S has straight through pipes with an x-pipe in there.

The marketing blurb for the XFR-S suggests a similar thing, however I crawled under an XFR-S to look for myself and was surprised to see the center exhaust with two visible resonators on it, one at the front, one at the rear. One can only assume that the internals of the front resonator are a crossover of some sort, if the marketing blurb is correct.

There are different part numbers for the entire exhaust between XFR and XFR-S, so something is different between them. But the devil is in the details and without cutting up an XFR-S exhaust to see what's inside, it's hard to say what exactly.

Cutting out the front resonator on an XFR and replacing it with an x-pipe makes quite an improvement.

carzaddict (02-07-2017)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought I'd add to this (long in the tooth) thread.
I asked my dealership to look up what intake and exhaust parts were different between the XFR and XFR-S.
Per them, intake is the same. Center pipe and rear boxes are different.

So I had them order the center pipe and I just got it yesterday.
I'll see if I can get some before and after impressions after I get it installed.

Panthro (06-26-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:16 AM

Follow up to my above ⬆️ post: Took it to a shop to have it bolted up and, as you see in the top photo the two pipe are unequal length forward of the X pipe. The stock XFR is equal length. The gasket sleeves also are mangled up a bit from, shipping?

This shop didn't seem overly anxious to dive into it so I'll find a shop that does custom exhausts.

I should be able to have them lengthen the shorter side to match the other.

Stock XFR

Panthro (06-26-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Had both ends evened up but, now I'm wondering if the '10 XFR exhaust is using slip-fit and the '13 XFR-S is using band clamp.
Guess I'll find out when I have it bolted up.

Quick Reply: XFR vs XFR-S Exhaust