XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

xjr hell

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy xjr hell

hi im new here ive got a 2000 xjr just brought the car it had sat for about a year. i picked it up serviced it got it running and put it thru a mot first time no problem then after about a day of use the red light on the gear shift started staying on and when it was on nothing would work and a clicking noise from the steering column then the light would go off and all was fine now it is on permanently car is on my drive wont come out of park all 4 windows down i am screwed any one had the same problem or has any ideas hellllpppp

Old 03-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Sorry to hear your problems. Is it an XJR or XFR? You posted on the XF board but said XJ

Many of these cars suffered from an early issue with the rotating gear selector. There was a tsb recall and I'd be very surprised if yours hadn't been done - but easy to call a dealer to pull the records and check. It was mostly 2009 cars I think but could have been some early 2010s too

Other immediate suggestion is to check the battery. Clicking could sound like a starter motor without enough power. These cars are quite sensitive to weak battery. Have it tested (under load) to see if it works. And to be honest if I were you I might just replace the battery anyway. Not expensive and could avoid other gremlins

Good luck and report back what you find. And if it is an XJ then you might want a moderator to shift the post over to the other board

Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Sorry to hear your problems. Is it an XJR or XFR? You posted on the XF board but said XJ

Many of these cars suffered from an early issue with the rotating gear selector. There was a tsb recall and I'd be very surprised if yours hadn't been done - but easy to call a dealer to pull the records and check. It was mostly 2009 cars I think but could have been some early 2010s too

Other immediate suggestion is to check the battery. Clicking could sound like a starter motor without enough power. These cars are quite sensitive to weak battery. Have it tested (under load) to see if it works. And to be honest if I were you I might just replace the battery anyway. Not expensive and could avoid other gremlins

Good luck and report back what you find. And if it is an XJ then you might want a moderator to shift the post over to the other board
hi yes it's a xj8r 2000 the clicking noise is constaint and conning from the speaker on the steering column but thanks. For getting back to me I'll move the post