XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Yellowstuff brake pad alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellowstuff brake pad alternatives?

Did the usual 1k run in for some Yellowstuff pads, then took my 2012 diesel 3.0 XF-S (275bhp) on Silvertone's F1 circuit.

I put new MTEC grooved only discs on and EBC yellowstuff pads all-round. The front discs are the 255mm upgraded discs. I was running Avon ZZ5's.

I did a full day open pit session, went out around 9am and done 2 to 3 laps before pitting to allow the engine to cool for around 10 minutes and kept this up for most of the day until around 4pm.

I experienced no brake fade, no judders and an amazing amount of grip when the tyres were warm. The track is amazing and to give you an idea of how much I was pushing it when I got it right I was taking Aintree flat out.

For most of the time I was driving with Trac DSC, so the rear pads wore really quick, the front pads were not so bad but did wear out.

So the first problem is that the pads only lasted the day and the second is that yellowstuff pads have a borderline amount of bite from cold.

I'm wondering if there are any pads just like the yellowstuffs, which have the same or slightly more bite when cold, don't suffer brake fade on trackdays (the yellowstuffs exhibited no brake fade for me) and last much longer than the yellowstuff pads.

The reason I'm asking is I'm off to Nürburgring soon for the second time and know what it is like to have a car go round it with virtually no brakes.

The first time I went I was in a BMW and no idea what the brakes were as it wasn't my car but I was having to use gears to slow down as the brakes faded quickly due to the inclines as for those who don't know Nürburgring is very long and very hilly. We only managed 2 laps due to my mate taking ages setting up his go pro, an accident and an engine blowing up. So this time I'm going to a Green Hell driving day and expect to do a lot more than 2 laps.

With driving there and driving back after tracking the car, I'm not sure I will have any pads left and I don't have the tools or know-how to change the pads myself.

Just wondered if anyone has any similar experiences and suggestions, not looking for views from people who just use their car on the road because tracking an XF is totally different to driving it down the road and I think the discussion will easily get confusing if road use views are given. To give you an idea of how much different it is to track a car versus road use, I stripped all the soundproofing from the engine to stop it overheating on track days.

I've read conflicting views on other forums, so what I'm really looking for is knowledge of different pads on Jaguar XF's as they are long and heavy cars to track and other places have talked about single seater track cars and obviously a single seater is a lightweight car so is a world away from what the brakes endure in a Jaguar XF.

Some other posts on here have offered me a great insight into what others think about different pads but there wasn't much mention about wear, how many miles to expect from the pads or anything like that and wear is my biggest concern, then brake fade, then initial bite.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:06 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Two brake pads that I deal with for track work are FERODO and HAWK

I have had good feed back on both their STREET and PERFORMANCE pads

In their RACING compound FERODO make the DS3000 range, temperature up to 700c
They do work well with smaller european cars , not so hot on our larger Ford and Holden (chev) cars

HAWK, I have been told , will be or already have released their new RACING compound pad, they call it HAWK DTC 50 and claim it has a high temperature fade resistance and works up to 800c like the EBC yellow, but it starts braking at 300c unlike the yellows at 550c .

I can't vouch for the DTC 50 pad as they are not available in AUS (yet) , but if they are anything like their PERFORMANCE pad I would give them a go .

Cheers ,