Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts
Default You gotta run em..

Fun day at the Strip..

Me, Kaynite and Patrick

Kaynite and Patrick making a run.

Best run for me was my 1st of the 12.7sec. at 112.11mph against Kayanites 12.434sec. at 116.79.

Best Run was the first run, XFR's seem to be real heat sensitive. I'm # 3000 Kaynite is #4000. A fun time though.

Race of the day 691 hp Tesla P85D vs 707 hp Hellcat Challenger...Challenger ran him down and won!

P85D Tesla vs Hellcat Challenger.

Bucket list addition! The Lambos sounded awesome. But the C6 Z06 was Badass

Attached Thumbnails You gotta run em..-imag1248%5B1%5D.jpg   You gotta run em..-imag1251%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Bigg Will; 05-10-2015 at 12:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bigg Will:
Blackcoog (05-11-2015), Mguar (01-05-2020)
Old 05-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Was definitely a great day at the track. Got 12 runs in...was my first day at a track and I wanted practice with the tree. Thank you Bigg Will for the starting advice, it began to click later in the day. Patrick was crazy fast out of the hole on seemingly every run (two under .1!)

Found out that heat soak is definitely a factor (changed my mph by almost 2) and that the track got greasier as the day went on so 60' timed started to suffer. Tried a number of different launch strategies and found two that I'd like to get better at and then see which to ultimately pursue.

Looking forward to returning later in the year when the weather is cool :-)

Old 05-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so cool that there were 3 jags at the track together!!! Great shots -- thx for sharing

When I go, I'm the only luxury brand there and people think I'm nuts!

Kyanite XFR -- what are you favorite launch strategies (if you don't mind sharing)? BigCat09 liked the ebrake technique... I haven't perfected that yet but it does seem to be pretty effective...

also, you guys should post your time slips on the 1/4 mile post...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...andings-84783/

Old 05-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by UltBlkXF
so cool that there were 3 jags at the track together!!! Great shots -- thx for sharing

When I go, I'm the only luxury brand there and people think I'm nuts!

Kyanite XFR -- what are you favorite launch strategies (if you don't mind sharing)? BigCat09 liked the ebrake technique... I haven't perfected that yet but it does seem to be pretty effective...

also, you guys should post your time slips on the 1/4 mile post...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...andings-84783/
LOL We got soo many compliments, Nice to get some respect for the Cat!

Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like a fun time. Would have liked to have raced with the pack.
Did you guys actually weigh your cars at the track? If so here's a reliable calculator for HP
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/oldweb...alculators.htm

Old 05-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Was definitely a great day at the track. Got 12 runs in...was my first day at a track and I wanted practice with the tree. Thank you Bigg Will for the starting advice, it began to click later in the day. Patrick was crazy fast out of the hole on seemingly every run (two under .1!)

Found out that heat soak is definitely a factor (changed my mph by almost 2) and that the track got greasier as the day went on so 60' timed started to suffer. Tried a number of different launch strategies and found two that I'd like to get better at and then see which to ultimately pursue.

Looking forward to returning later in the year when the weather is cool :-)
Yes heat soak is a big issue, I'd ice the motor for an all out run. I'm doing a pulley though, A pulley'ed XFR just run a standard XFR down!..lol

Old 05-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by allenman85
Looks like a fun time. Would have liked to have raced with the pack.
Did you guys actually weigh your cars at the track? If so here's a reliable calculator for HP
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/oldweb...alculators.htm
Its funny you asked that, Fontana has no scales for street legal drags, but it's a truckers town and I almost stopped at the scales on the way there.lol

Old 05-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by UltBlkXF
Tried the Drive, manual shift to 1st, ebrake, Trac-DSC, then mash technique and that's one that I'm still working with. But if you tap anything the brake let's go...you roll slightly then have to put on the foot brake then your composure goes to hell and you either sleep on the light or your throttle control is crap.

So, I tried Drive, car in second, Trac-DSC, power brake to 1700 or so and that seemed to give me much less wheelspin and a quicker launch.

But by the time I started with that technique the track was not giving the grip it did on the early runs when I had no idea of what I was doing. So I would say little was learned other than I started figuring out what I was doing so I could make some real progress next time. Still ran a 12.591 at 117.04 with a .053 RT with this technique on my last run so I'm inclined to start with this one next time when the track and air is better.

Tires are just Hankooks with treadwear rating of around 300, so I I know that's not helping either.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds exactly like my day at the track last year trying a few different ways! For me the mash technique (for me that means Sport Mode, Auto Shift, Trac DSC, Race flag button then get staged, power brake to just under 2000 RPM and mash the gas to let the DSC do its thing!) still worked best for me(when the are is totally cold)... my first run of the day is when i hit my 12.6 that I posted on the 1/4 mile link. As the day went on and things heated up i found the mash technique to give massive wheel hop so i really had to go out easy. did anyone get that?

I usually get pretty consistent times w/ this method no matter what the conditions -- if i recall I ran 12.7's like 6 or 7 times in a row that day (there was literally like 30 cars at the track that day). So I ran a few times in a row and then let things cool down!

Agree too about the composure using the Ebrake as it gives that little roll that I'm always afraid will red light!

wish I lived out by you guys so we could compare notes real time!!

i still can't figure out why my XF-S is as fast as your guys cars w/ a tune! I KNOW it's not my driving skills!!

I have a totally stock car w/ stock tires that are pretty well worn! w/ better tires I'm sure I could launch much better especially as things heat up

Last edited by UltBlkXF; 05-10-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Our local track is slightly uphill (2%)and we've heard it that it's consistently slower than other tracks. Not sure how the elevation (1237 ft) and humidity (50%) played into the times since it was my first time at a track.

As far as technique, the extra power mine has down low would make your technique a waste of time. I tried that a time or two and overwhelmed the tires and started having 2.3+ second 60' times. My best was early in the day when the track was still sticky using the no foot break technique in 1st gear of right around 2 seconds.

Another friend of mine has an SC and he runs right with me until 3rd gear, so it doesnt surprise me. I've driven his in anger and it doesn't hit the DSC half as hard as mine does even if mashed. It's either the diff or the TCM (or probably more the tires) that limits my ability to drop it straight out of the hole, but I don't hook at all in first with power braking unless the track is in great condition.

Next time I go I'm going to experiment with different levels of throttle application (1/2, 2/3, 3/4) and see what my 60' times, ET's and traps look like leaving in first and second. One thing that intrigues me about a hard second gear start with a bit more revs (thinking around 2000) is that it's one less shift and if all I do is hit the DSC, I'm losing time anyway. Want to try it first thing next time since I put down a good last run using that technique.

And I got a little hop when I was in Sport. Patrick complained of it on a few of his runs as well.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 05-10-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Tried the Drive, manual shift to 1st, ebrake, Trac-DSC, then mash technique and that's one that I'm still working with. But if you tap anything the brake let's go...you roll slightly then have to put on the foot brake then your composure goes to hell and you either sleep on the light or your throttle control is crap.

So, I tried Drive, car in second, Trac-DSC, power brake to 1700 or so and that seemed to give me much less wheelspin and a quicker launch.

But by the time I started with that technique the track was not giving the grip it did on the early runs when I had no idea of what I was doing. So I would say little was learned other than I started figuring out what I was doing so I could make some real progress next time. Still ran a 12.591 at 117.04 with a .053 RT with this technique on my last run so I'm inclined to start with this one next time when the track and air is better.

Tires are just Hankooks with treadwear rating of around 300, so I I know that's not helping either.
You learned well grasshopper!

Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
You learned well grasshopper!
Thanks! Glad you were there to give me another perspective.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Jealous! My 4.2NA wouldn't be able to keep up anyway! Seems like you guys had a good time. I know we use to when we would go race our crotch rockets.