XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

a/c stop working

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Default a/c stop working

Hi to all
Today I remove the panel under the steering wheel (change tilt motor), and a/c blowing warm air now. Of course I unplug the sensor or something on the left side, and then plug back in. Climate control show me errors 11, 23, and 24. After I clear it 24 still on. Yesterday a/c was freezing cold, today hot. I not touch any lines or compressor. Compressor kick in, but both lines is hot.
So what could be wrong?
Thanks for reply

Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 PM

I hook up gauges couple days ago and on high side was 100 psi and low side vacuuming -20 psi. Any ideas?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by pan84
I hook up gauges couple days ago and on high side was 100 psi and low side vacuuming -20 psi. Any ideas?
Pressures are never "static" in nature. You have to consider the ambient temperature. Pressure readings will be different in the cool of the morning (lower pressure), than the readings taken at 3-3pm in the afternoon, when the ambient temperature is about at its peak (higher readings).

Let the car site for a while - then hook up the gauges to perform a static test (leave the car off). The low and high sides should be about the same pressure. What are the readings?

When you start up the car and check the gauges, do you have the temperature at its lowest setting and the blowers at the highest speed, and with the doors open? What are the readings? Typically, the high side will be about 2 1/2 times the ambient temp. The low side will be somewhere around 27psi. (Both readings with engine speed at just below 1500rpm).

Is your compressor engaging?

Is the compressor [clutch] engaging and disengaging quickly?

My wild guess, based on your readings, is that the expansion valve is bad.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 AM

I check and recharge too many cars, but I see negative pressure on low side first time. Its not the big difference in dependence outside temp, and pressure should by: low 25-55, high 150-250 for any cars. Yes compressor kick in and out normal. Where is expansion valve locate in jaguar? I have to change it or its repairable? If I discharge, blow the system, vacuum and charge its will help?
thanks

Last edited by pan84; 08-21-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 8,132 Likes on 4,907 Posts

The expansion valve is NSS from Jaguar. (NOT SOLD SEPARATELY). Jaguar sells it with the EVAP core. You might find it sold by an aftermarket company.

bob gauff

Old 08-21-2011, 01:01 PM

I check and recharge too many cars, but I see negative pressure on low side first time. Its not the big difference in dependence outside temp, and pressure should by: low 25-55, high 150-250 for any cars. Yes compressor kick in and out normal. Where is expansion valve locate in jaguar? I have to change it or its repairable? If I discharge, blow the system, vacuum and charge its will help?
thanks
The expansion valve is at the evaporator (inside the car). Here in the US, the expansion valve can be purchased from almost any auto parts store. I assume you are in Naples, IT? Not sure where you can find the expansion valve in your area.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The expansion valve is NSS from Jaguar. (NOT SOLD SEPARATELY). Jaguar sells it with the EVAP core. You might find it sold by an aftermarket company.

bob gauff
I was trying to find (just for fun) evaporator with exp valve, or valve with evaporator, unfortunately its 2 different parts

Bought one for $23 (ebay.com),will play with it soon

Thanks every body for help.

p.s. probably will make tread with pictures how to change expansion valve

Last edited by pan84; 08-21-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 PM

I was trying to find (just for fun) evaporator with exp valve, or valve with evaporator, unfortunately its 2 different parts

Bought one for $23 (ebay.com),will play with it soon

Thanks every body for help.

p.s. probably will make tread with pictures how to change expansion valve
That would be great to explain the procedure with with photos the. I'm about to do the same thing, so we'll see who makes the thread first

Old 08-24-2011, 05:08 PM

I don't think I will make tread how to change the exp valve, I took half car a part to get expansion valve out.

I got wrong expansion valve, on my 1996 vdp exp valve from 1991-93 jaguar. Why?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 PM

I don't think I will make tread how to change the exp valve, I took half car a part to get expansion valve out.

I got wrong expansion valve, on my 1996 vdp exp valve from 1991-93 jaguar. Why?

Did the exp. valve that the parts store send look like this?

Name:  exp.png
Views: 827
Size:  46.9 KB

Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by caldercay
Did the exp. valve that the parts store send look like this?

Yes its what I bought, but it not fit to my 1996 jaguar vanden plas, probably its right part for xj6. My looks like this

Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=pan84;395972]Yes its what I bought, but it not fit to my 1996 jaguar vanden plas, probably its right part for xj6. My looks like this

I checked at RockAuto.com for the XJ6 and Vanden Plas and they are the same part numbers ... for the "rectangular" exp. valve.

It's possible that Jaguar switched from one style to another.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by Ronniels; 08-26-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 PM

Got other expansion valve, but its wrong again
Someone know where I can buy (in U.S.) new expansion valve for 1996 jaguar vanden plas?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 PM

Got other expansion valve, but its wrong again
Someone know where I can buy (in U.S.) new expansion valve for 1996 jaguar vanden plas?
Can you take your original exp valve to the auto parts store and have them match it? Sometimes the part will be stamped with a number - if so, then usually, they can do a part search that way.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by caldercay
Can you take your original exp valve to the auto parts store and have them match it? Sometimes the part will be stamped with a number - if so, then usually, they can do a part search that way.
All ready try, bad luck.

bob gauff
You right, everybody sale it together, but its separate parts, and before install on the car need assembled, valve and the evaporator in the different bags but in one box. I can buy evaporator without valve, but I cant buy valve without evaporator. Its stupid. Dealer want $818 for it in the florida.
Or $400 from ebay. I will try get used for $70
If somebody will need valve and you find it, or you know where I can buy it, please write in these thread, I will buy couple just in case.

Last edited by pan84; 08-31-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Ok just finish put all back together, a/c is freezing cold now. I was trying cleaning expansion valve put it back and test it. A/c was cold only couple minutes and then warm again (valve stuck closed again). Latter I just remove all fu.... internal parts from valve (nut, needle, spring, washer) and put all back together. Now gauges readings ok, a/c very cold and I am happy. Probably its will help to somebody

Last edited by pan84; 09-01-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Ok just finish put all back together, a/c is freezing cold now. I was trying cleaning expansion valve put it back and test it. A/c was cold only couple minutes and then warm again (valve stuck closed again). Latter I just remove all fu.... internal parts from valve (nut, needle, spring, washer) and put all back together. Now gauges readings ok, a/c very cold and I am happy. Probably its will help to somebody
I did not know the expansion valve can be taken apart - I thought it was soldered together (?)

One thing to think about ... if the receiver/dryer expels its desiccant, it can clog the exp. valve (the expansion valve is downstream from the receiver/dryer, which is why the exp. valve will become clogged with desiccant).

So if there is any desiccant left in the system (even after replacing the exp valve), the remaining desiccant could eventually clog the [new] exp. valve again. Something to think about.

Anytime the A/C system is opened, it should be cleaned (liquid cleaners are usually used) and vacuumed (to remove moisture), and the receiver/dryer should be replaced !

Thanks for the feedback - that's great the know !!

Here's a nice explanation (and graphic showing the flow in an A/C system) of a typical auto A/C system:
http://www.familycar.com/ac1.htm

Last edited by caldercay; 09-02-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:18 PM

bob gauff
Yes, **Jaguar** sells it as an aggregate unit ... doesn't mean a person (or shop) can replace the individual components ...

which is why you can purchase the individual components separately.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Other think about expansion valve, I have 1997 jaguar xj6l with original valve and when I recharge a/c its take almost 4 cans freon (12 oz or 340ml), on other 1996 jaguar VDP (looks like exact same a/c system) where I remove needle inside valve, take only 1 and half can and air very cold, pressure is fine. So it is different systems or because different valves?

Quick Reply: a/c stop working