XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

I thought it might be the fuel filter... but

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I thought it might be the fuel filter... but

After changing the fuel filter, my 96 XJR won't start.
The car has had intermittent high idle, low idle, some stalling. I think I have THAT issue narrowed down to either an IACV or another air leak. I found one major leak, and sealing it helped to smooth out the overall operation of the engine, but it was still acting a little funny. definitely drivable though.
Heres what happened three days ago.
About two miles from my house, I pulled onto the highway, was just beginning to give the car a little blast up to 70 mph or so, but instead of smooth acceleration, it felt like it ran out of gas (tank 1/2 full) the engine sputtered, i tried pumping the gas, which seemed to help a little, but it quit. I was able to coast to the side and restart. It started, but acted as if the filter was plugged, starving for the proper amount of fuel. I repeated this action and managed to get within 3/4 of a mile from my house, just my luck, when whatever was failing finally had enough, the big Jag came to rest on a dangerous sharp right corner with low visibility.
I'll save you having to read about all that I went through to get that car home,
except to say that a 10 foot tow rope was used, and the state police were present, yet unaware.....
I have done lots of reading on this forum since.
as stated, new filter
luckily for me I have two of these cars. so I was able to swap the CKPS, thats not the problem. I have changed around the three identical relays under the water bottle cover, I have checked spark.YES at least on the two plugs that I removed.
The fuel rail has fuel, but I have NOT checked pressure. the injectors all have 12 volts to both leads.
I'vew charged the battery and cranked and cranked, sometimes it fires, and seems like it wants to go. Ive held the throttle to the floor, because I smelled gasoline, thinking that it may be flooded.
I checked the ECM,( on right side in front of door, under access panel.) all looks clean, no sign of any water damage or corrosion... This car is very clean, very little rust or corrosion, even underneath!
Im now at a point where I need to ask for help. thanks in advance... Any takers?

Old 06-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

If the fuel pump has never been changed, that would be my guess. There have been many failures both here and on the V8 forums the past few months. I plan on changing mine soon rather than wait for a failure.

The following users liked this post:
wintookit wizard (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I Don't know the maintenance history, so I am not sure about the age of the fuel pump. replacing it seems like it could be a PITA, so i checked everything(?) else first. Can you think of anything else? If it is the fuel pump, would the plugs be wet, damp or dry? The two that I checked spark on seemed to be a little damp, but I will check further this afternoon.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you properly check all 6 injectors? Remove the coils, as well as spark plugs and ask someone to cranck the engine, if any if the injectors give more or less fuel, you will be able to see it. Please wear protective glasses at all times as well as do it in highly ventilated space.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Like RJ, I suspect you have lost fuel pressure due to either a bad pump, bad power to the pump, or the hose blowing off the pump inside the tank.

Fuel filter seldom go all at once!

Don B (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 AM

I have not properly checked all injectors, its just that when the failure happened, it was all or nothing for the engine.. meaning that it seemed for its last few runs (15 second or less while trying to get home) all of the fuel that the engine needed would be there, on all 6 cyls, but only for a few seconds, then NOTHING, well maybe a sputter.
I am very good with mechanical issues, but I have a limited understanding of ohms and resistance... but I'm learning.
I checked two more plugs between raindrops, and found them to be slightly damp, but not wet like flooded wet.
Another thing to throw in here, I know it may sound strange but here goes... about a week ago, I noticed that the filler tube appears to have lifted, with the filler cap on, the cover won't close down all the way.
I tried the cap from the other xjr and same thing... but I noticed that the filler cap holder magnet on that car has been removed, making room for the door to close, which tells me that this has already happened to that car. Am I making sense?
Could the shifting of the filler tube (who knows why yet) be a cause for the pump to quit?
I guess I should take the trunk panels off and investigate further.

Last edited by wintookit wizard; 06-24-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Originally Posted by wintookit wizard
Another thing to throw in here, I know it may sound strange but here goes... about a week ago, I noticed that the filler tube appears to have lifted, with the filler cap on, the cover won't close down all the way.
I tried the cap from the other xjr and same thing... but I noticed that the filler cap holder magnet on that car has been removed, making room for the door to close, which tells me that this has already happened to that car.
Could the shifting of the filler tube (who knows why yet) be a cause for the pump to quit?
I guess I should take the trunk panels off and investigate further.

Hi Mike,

The fuel tank filler neck is a solid metal pipe welded to the tank, so if it is sitting too high, something is amiss. Have you visually compared the position of the filler neck on the problem car with your good car?

I'm afraid your symptoms sound suspiciously like those reported by smgdata at the thread below, so you definitely need to remove the trunk liner trim and investigate your fuel tank:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...mplode-112224/

For helpful parts diagrams, you can download the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) from this forum and install it on your computer. Also, jaguarclassicparts.com, the parts service of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust, is a good place to view parts diagrams. Here's a link that includes the parts identifications, as well as the diagram itself:

Fuel Tank-4.0 Litre Supercharged/6.0 Litre-Unleaded-Usa - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Please keep us informed!

Don

Attached Thumbnails I thought it might be the fuel filter... but-sd5974d.jpg  
MountainMan (06-26-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 AM

You nailed it Don, that fuel tank has about 1/3 of the volume that it should. huge implosion.
I have had issues with high idle, low idle, constantly adjusting cables, never knowing when things were where they should be, because the operation of the car seemed to be in constant flux.
I smelled gasoline a lot, changed the Rochester valve last year, that seemed to clear up the smell, but it wasn't until I found the air leak that things settled down to where I would trust the car a little more. I have put less than 1200 miles on it since it was rescued. I wonder if by changing the rochester valve, I added to THIS problem, I guess it must be a venting issue.
Now that my tank has imploded... wow, can I blow it back out with air pressure? this is (of course) the double fuel pump model, so... how expensive are these tanks?
I guess Ive got more reading to do... Geez there is never a dull moment lately
I'll start with that link, Thanks Don.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Originally Posted by wintookit wizard
You nailed it Don, that fuel tank has about 1/3 of the volume that it should. huge implosion.

Mike,

Sorry you're having to deal with this, but a salvaged tank shouldn't be too expensive if you can source one within easy driving distance. Replacing the tank sounds hard but it really isn't. The most awkward part is removing the screws that secure the fuel filler latch box to the underside of the fender.

While you're at it, I would strongly recommend that you replace the fuel pumps as well since new ones can be had for around $75.00 (I think there are two pumps in the tank of an XJR). I also think I recall reading that the OE X300 pumps were made by Denso (the OE pump on our '93 was made by Walbro). Hopefully a more knowledgeable member will chime in.

Please keep us informed!

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-24-2014 at 04:03 PM.
MountainMan (06-26-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM

It seems (after reading the link above about imploding fuel tanks) that the Rochester valve that I installed last year is probably the culprit. It was probably a poor replacement, (discontinued thru Jaguar) that needs to be installed backward to work properly. and apparently this involves adding a length of the smaller diameter hose in order for it to reach properly. anyway, I have turned my attention to that thread.
Thanks.

Don B (06-25-2014)