XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJ6 turns over, starts but cuts out after 2 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ6 turns over, starts but cuts out after 2 seconds

Please help! My dad is sad lonely old pensioner who has dreamed of owner a Jag his entire life. My brother and I put funds together and bought him a '97 XJ6. It has full service history and has never failed an MOT so seemed perfect for him which it has been for months now.

3 weeks ago he went to start the car and it turned over but cut out after a couple of seconds. First I checked the switch in the footwell which was in. I also tried it with the switch out and the car did nothing so I know it wasn't that. I then changed the brown starter relays which didn't work. We then paid silly money to a guy to diagnose the problem who said it was the ECU. Changed the ECU for a guaranteed identical replacement. Still the same problem.

His XJ6 is his pride and joy however, he has now called the scrappers who have offered him £140 for the entire car!

It has to be something simple. The car is beautiful and far too good to be scrapped.

If anyone has any suggestions, Please let me know. Or maybe someone in Essex can come and rescue the ol' girl?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 09-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,454 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Hi, sorry about the problem.

this forum is for the old XJ-6 from 1968 thru 1987. You car is a model X300, totally different cat than here. Try the X300 forum for help.

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 turns over, starts but cuts out after 2 seconds-xj-prod-chart.jpg  
Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 4,302 Likes on 3,719 Posts

hollywood4130, I've moved your post to the XJ (X300) section where members with the same model along with the onboard techs can give you the best support to resolve your issue.

In the interim, as I see this is your first post, please stop by the New Member area and post an intro. In turn, you will receive a warm welcome and some valuable pointers on forum navigation.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-16-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 921 Likes on 519 Posts

MArk

Based on the limited diagnostic information I think I would start with
- Throttle body (check/clean)
- Check TPS signal
- Check ISCV (Idle speed control)
- Fuel Pressure Regulator

All of these are covered in multiple posts on the forum so have a look by searching.

If you can provide more detailed symptoms the guys on here will have a better chance of pointing you in the right direction. Here's some the questions I would be asking myself if it were my car.

- Does it always exhibit the same behaviour i.e. does it always start and always cut out?
- What happens if you give a little gas pedal at start-up?
- Was this a sudden occurrence or were there any behaviour issues before this (high/low idle, cutting out, surging, misfires etc)
- Has any other work been done recently?
- What happens with the Rev counter at cut-out (does it drop to 0 before cut-oy or after) - I know it's hard in 2 seconds but try and observe it
- what diagnostic tools do you have available (multimeter, test light. code reader ?)
- is there anything else that doesn't work?
- when it cuts out does it stumble at all or just like you turned the key off

And get your dad to join the forum. There's lots of sad old pensioners on here

Old 09-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Here's a bit of reading while you are sorting it:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ngines-120221/

Old 09-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a fuel problem. Check the fuel pump is supplying fuel. if not check the fuse and any con3ections. Might be a blockage. Just looks like a fuel problem. Have you got the right fuel check for contamination. Give it a go

Old 07-08-2024, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hollywood4130
Please help! My dad is sad lonely old pensioner who has dreamed of owner a Jag his entire life. My brother and I put funds together and bought him a '97 XJ6. It has full service history and has never failed an MOT so seemed perfect for him which it has been for months now.

3 weeks ago he went to start the car and it turned over but cut out after a couple of seconds. First I checked the switch in the footwell which was in. I also tried it with the switch out and the car did nothing so I know it wasn't that. I then changed the brown starter relays which didn't work. We then paid silly money to a guy to diagnose the problem who said it was the ECU. Changed the ECU for a guaranteed identical replacement. Still the same problem.

His XJ6 is his pride and joy however, he has now called the scrappers who have offered him £140 for the entire car!

It has to be something simple. The car is beautiful and far too good to be scrapped.

If anyone has any suggestions, Please let me know. Or maybe someone in Essex can come and rescue the ol' girl?

Thanks,

Mark
Did you manage to fix it? as I have the same problem on my XJ sovereign 2005

Old 07-08-2024, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 977 Likes on 819 Posts

In the starting sequence ( 95 - 97 X300 ) the rotation of the key will run the fuel pump for 3 seconds only

This fuel pressure will be trapped by the injectors , a check valve in the pump and the fuel pressure regulator

When the crankshaft position sensor sees engine rotation, it will turn the pump back on for the duration of your drive , safety design

So the fuel pump relay will click 3 times , on - off - on

Do you see tach at 300 rpm at start , the CKPS can still be bad even if it gives tach gauge and not giving a CEL code P0335

The CKPS is not a special Jaguar part so can be obtained from a common parts store

You can wipe the face of the CKPS of grime for a cheap try , CKPS is fixed mounting so no adjustment , 8 or 10 mm

Ask questions

Last edited by Parker 7; 07-08-2024 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my problem fixed just a wire came undone that controls the auto choke,

watto700 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 08:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of good questions here. I add a few more:
  • Does it consistently start and run for 3 seconds and then stall, i.e. can you repeat this multiple times in a row?
  • Any check engine light on?
  • I have run into this exact situation with other cars where a key is cut, fits in the ignition and allows you to start the engine but it only runs for a few seconds. The key is not encoded for the car. By design, it allows you to start the engine, but then it shuts off after a few seconds. This was with Chrysler, not Jaguar. In the event that Jag's behave this way, any chance you have more than one key for the car and along the way, they got mixed up? Maybe you are not using the key you have always used. Others here may know if this is a possible scenario with Jaguars.
I hope you get it running for your dad.

Parker 7 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Persevere

It’s well worth persevering. Lots of good advice on this forum.

It could be something relatively simple and not too expensive.

New ECU paired to the key ? Not sure how that works or if it needs to be but someone on the forum will know.

The micro switch that senses you are in park can fail to make contact and cause issues but that usually means you cannot start at all.

There are several different versions of the ECU but that should have been checked before fitting it.

Good luck.

Alan
3.2 Sport.

Old 07-10-2024, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Fuel pump relay click 3 times before engine stalling ?

You can jumper the fuel pump relay socket at 3 to 5 to keep the fuel pump running at all times , this will drain the battery with the keys in your pocket

Medium gauge wire with blade type connectors ( better socket connection out on the road ) on the jumper wire , the auto parts store can make one for you with a kit they keep behind the counter

The switch in the passenger footwell ( inertia / crash switch ) can be fickle even if reset from reading others

You can jumper it with a paper clip between the 2 white wires , works for me

If you take apart the inertia switch spring loaded parts will fly everywhere

Last edited by Parker 7; 07-10-2024 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2024, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

I noticed the date on the original post , somehow the topic got refreshed

Last edited by Parker 7; 07-10-2024 at 11:59 AM.