XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJR console rear A/C vent, any with cigar lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question XJR console rear A/C vent, any with cigar lighter?

See the attached photos.

The interior shot shows a US spec XJR and its console rear A/C vent having a cigar lighter. However, all of the XJR's I've seen elsewhere have a blank rear vent wood top with no cigar lighter, and I've attached a photo of one of those as well.

I'd like to get a rear vent with a cigar lighter so I have another DC power point in the car, and was hoping that some years of XJR may have had the rear vent with the cigar lighter.

I know from a recent visit to a junk yard that even cars not equipped with the rear cigar lighter have the wiring harness in place, so it would be an easy swap if I can find the dark birds eye version with the cigar holder.

So, does anyone know if any of the 95-97 XJRs actually had a rear cigar lighter or not? Has anyone seen one so equipped? If not, I can stop trying to find one

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails XJR console rear A/C vent, any with cigar lighter?-xjr-rear-cigar-lighter.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Received 12,943 Likes on 6,467 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
I'd like to get a rear vent with a cigar lighter so I have another DC power point in the car, and was hoping that some years of XJR may have had the rear vent with the cigar lighter.

Hi Al,

You may have already considered this, but if you have a means of creating a relatively neat hole in your existing vent (a step drill bit, Forstner bit, Dremel tool, die grinder, etc.), you could just install an aftermarket cigar lighter socket. There are many designs available from the chain auto parts stores:

Custom Accessories 10211 - Complete Lighter | O'Reilly Auto Parts

If you're not worried about using it as a cigar lighter, you could buy a lighter element at a salvage yard to match the one in your front ash tray, or if you always use the socket in your ash tray, just use that element as a "cover" for the new rear socket.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-03-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I had thought the same and actually have a salvage cigar lighter from another XJ that I was looking at installing. Not only is the wiring already back there unused, but the frame of the vent already has a hole in it behind the wood veneer.

The problem though is that the cigar lighter is recessed into the wood top, so I couldn't just cut a hole and make it look right. I'd have to cut the hole then radius the circumference to recess the socket. That of course would require then refinishing the wood piece and replicating the factory gray color and finish. Not impossible, but I suspect challenging to make it look factory. But I may still do it....

But that was why I was wondering if any of the gray birds eye maple cars had a rear cigar lighter so I could just keep an eye out for one salvage. But I suspect they may never have had them.

It's not a big deal, but something I would keep an eye out for if they existed. If not, maybe I'll think about making it.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quick update, the rear A/C console vents on the X300 and X308 "appear" to be exactly the same unit. The part numbers are essentially the same. So one can likely interchange them if yours is broken.

Regarding if the X300 XJR could be had with a rear vent that includes the cigar lighter, it appears so. Here are the part numbers.

X300
- Console Vent Assembly (all the vents support the addition of the cigar lighter, and as noted above, the wiring is in the console ready to go)
GNA7890AALEG (discontinued)
GNC7890AA

- "Finisher" (wood veneer piece)
GNA7881HA No cigar lighter, birds eye maple
GNA7881JA With cigar lighter, birds eye maple

So it is clear one could get the rear console vent in the X300 XJR with the cigar lighter. The 'finisher' that supports is still available, but it is pricey at over $100 US. But they turn up on the used/NOS market sometimes I've found. So I'll just keep my eye out.

All I need then is the cigar lighter assembly from any X300/X308 itself to plug into the vent. Pretty easy as I see them at wrecking yards frequently.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 10-24-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:25 AM
Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

Actually the X300 veneer shape isn't the same as the one from X308, the X300 one is more square. So if you put X308 rear vent there will be some space around the veneer. I once tried the same thing but failed due to the veneer shape.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Al - Check with Dave at everydayxj.com for the piece of wood trim. He's constantly rescuing XJs of all types.

The following 3 users liked this post by mgb4tim:
al_roethlisberger (10-29-2014), dagny747 (10-29-2014), davidboger (11-06-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
Al - Check with Dave at everydayxj.com for the piece of wood trim. He's constantly rescuing XJs of all types.

Wow, and he's just "down the street" from me in Salisbury, NC

I actually have a line on the correct veneer piece, but the info above is definitely good to know!

The following users liked this post:
davidboger (11-06-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Well, as luck would have it.... and I do mean LUCK, a casual search of expired eBay listings from a year ago ran across a NOS GNA7881JA "With cigar lighter, birds eye maple" finisher from a fella in the UK.

He normally doesn't like to deal with shipping overseas anymore (can't blame him) but I guess he was impressed with my outreach about such an unusual part request

Anyway, got it for about $25 shipped.

So it should be here late this week or early next, and I'll see if it mounts right up. Now I just need to find a cheap NOS lighter socket, or a clean used one. I had a nice used one, but it was damaged, so the search continues. I don't think it will be hard to find at a salvage yard in the coming month or so though.

Then the kids can't complain about no having a power port in the rear seat anymore. "Gosh Dad, even the Honda has one...." *laugh*