XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 XJ8 L Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 XJ8 L Rear Suspension

I've had my 2001 XJ8 L since April of 2010.

A few months after ownership, I started hearing a noise in the rear. It would come and go from time to time.

The other day I heard it again and it went on for a week, then it went away. However, now the noise is back. I pressed down on the right rear of the car (by the trunk) and heard the same noise again as I pressed down. It was a creaking noise, a bit high pitch. Is this a bearing issue or?

I took it to my mechanic back in June of 2010 and they did not hear or see anything out of the ordinary.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you checked the condition of you rear shock absorbers? I had problems with mine and the symptoms were the same as you describe it. Unfortunately I had to replace them with new ones...

Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Estilian
Have you checked the condition of you rear shock absorbers? I had problems with mine and the symptoms were the same as you describe it. Unfortunately I had to replace them with new ones...

Thanks for the reply.

How can I tell if they are CATS or regular comfort shocks?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I also had a bumping noise in the rear. I replaced the shocks(KYB) and it took care of it. But the old shocks appeared to still be in good shape. I tend to believe that the upper retention nut or the bushings may have been the problem. I really like the KYB's.
Thanks, Dave

The following users liked this post:
McLovinXJ8L (11-09-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by D. Fite
I also had a bumping noise in the rear. I replaced the shocks(KYB) and it took care of it. But the old shocks appeared to still be in good shape. I tend to believe that the upper retention nut or the bushings may have been the problem. I really like the KYB's.
Thanks, Dave
Did you notice a difference in ride quality after replacing the shocks?

Also, how much did it run you to replace the rear shocks?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 PM

The ride did stiffen a little with the new shocks which was good. I think the kyb's were around $140.

The following users liked this post:
McLovinXJ8L (11-14-2011)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM

So after about 7 months of rear suspension noise, my mechanic friend suggested I spray white lithium grease onto the rubber bushings. After drivingthe car200 plus miles yesterday, the problem is solved. No more noise coming from the rear and the only other issues left to fix is the seat heater and the erratic wipers.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by McLovinXJ8L
Did you notice a difference in ride quality after replacing the shocks?

Also, how much did it run you to replace the rear shocks?

Thanks!
''Your very welcome''

The ride quality improved with the new front shocks(Monroes) as for the rear its hard to say because of the bump in the old ones but I like the KYB's because of the solid ride feel. The old shocks which were probably original(I feel they were original because of the condition of the car, it was in the best condition you ask for). The ride now is great.

As for the cost I think the KYB's were around $75. to $85. each. I installed them myself, saved around $800. labor. Took a lot of patience but worth it. If I ever need to do it again it will be easier from what I learned the first time. But I hope I don't. I also installed new sway bar bushings on the front. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it did. I was somewhat surprised at the difference.

I hope this helps you out.
Dave

Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the information. I heard that shocks other than oem change the handling and feel of the car. In any case, my main reason for changing the suspension was because of the noise I was hearing. Since the noise is gone, I am going to leave the rear suspension as is until something acts up.
Originally Posted by D. Fite
''Your very welcome''

The ride quality improved with the new front shocks(Monroes) as for the rear its hard to say because of the bump in the old ones but I like the KYB's because of the solid ride feel. The old shocks which were probably original(I feel they were original because of the condition of the car, it was in the best condition you ask for). The ride now is great.

As for the cost I think the KYB's were around $75. to $85. each. I installed them myself, saved around $800. labor. Took a lot of patience but worth it. If I ever need to do it again it will be easier from what I learned the first time. But I hope I don't. I also installed new sway bar bushings on the front. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it did. I was somewhat surprised at the difference.

I hope this helps you out.
Dave