XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Sounds great guys. Post back when you get them installed and working.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I just finished installing it, and it's working just as advertised with my iPhone 4

For those not familiar with the system, here are the wires going to and from the amp. The one in the middle comes from the head unit. The one on the left goes to the CD-changer, and that's where the adapter needs to be connected to. The easiest way to reach the connector is to remove the CD-changer.

Here's my test connection with the CD-changer removed.

iPhone charging when connected.

And after taking the wire through the same route as Sarc, the phone is playing music from my hopefully very temporary phone holder.

Now I just need to find a bit more elegant holder for the phone.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
JKo

Slight problem occurred when I took the first drive with the new adapter: alternator whine! Not loud, but very high pitch.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@JKo

Thanks for posting the pics..... it's great to hear that it worked... To troubleshoot your alternator whine..... if you put your iphone in the trunk, do you still get the whine ? (Somewhere the sound cable is picking up interference......)

I used this is a previous application......
Amazon.com: Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone, including iPhone 4S: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone, including iPhone 4S: MP3 Players & Accessories
and it worked well

Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm surprised that the PIE setup didn't work for most people. I installed mine about a year ago in literally 5 mins with no tools or wire splicing. It connects in between the head unit and AMP in the trunk(instead of the CD changer). The only issue is if the audio input is weak (like my cell phone), it won't activate the AUX input, and if the AUX input signal stops for a few seconds, the AUX input is disabled until the music starts again (for example, if streaming with pandora, if the song pauses to buffer, the audio will not be heard for about a second after the music begins to play again). . However, with my ipod, it works fine. I don't have any alternator whine.

My CD changer can still be used without the need to connect/disconnect any wires.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 AM
JKo

Originally Posted by Sarc
@JKo

Thanks for posting the pics..... it's great to hear that it worked... To troubleshoot your alternator whine..... if you put your iphone in the trunk, do you still get the whine ? (Somewhere the sound cable is picking up interference......)

I used this is a previous application...... Amazon.com: Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone, including iPhone 4S: MP3 Players & Accessories and it worked well
The connector on this adapter is not a standard audio plug, so a noise filter like that won't work.

I'll have to pull the cable out and see if it still whines, and perhaps re-route it. I also emailed the shop asking for troubleshooting suggestions.

BTW, they have pretty good installation instructions with pics on their site, didn't notice those before, lol: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/ip-jagcd.pdf.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:56 AM
JKo

Ok, I took the cable out, and tested the adapter with the cable and phone in the trunk, and the whine went away almost completely, only slightly audible between songs. I then re-routed the cable from the left side of the rear shelf, as it was routed next to some electrical wires on the right side before. I think that increased the whine a bit compared to the phone being in the trunk. It's barely audible, but still there...

Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sucess with iP-jagcd install

Hello,
I received the adapter kit on friday and installed it this morning.
I must say that this install was easier than i thought. Anyone looking to do this should just follow these instructions:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/ip-jagcd.pdf
After reading Jko's experience i tested the iPod before running the cable and had no noise issues-- there is faint "hiss" between songs but i think that is normal. As per the instructions, I ran the cable to the armrest and was done in 45 minutes.
Wife tested her iphone4 with no issues-- the thing also charges the iPod and before i forget: While testing her iPhone a call came through and the adapter muted the song -- pretty cool.
She iS HAPPY!

@jKo
They are a bunch of wires behind my DVD/Changer/Amp rack and other near the gas tank and did not introduce noise into my cable. Of course i did not run the cable all the way to the front of the dash as you have and maybe the faint noise you are hearing is getting into the cable as it travels along the gearshift area.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 AM
JKo

Originally Posted by quietcoolone
While testing her iPhone a call came through and the adapter muted the song -- pretty cool.
That's actually an iPhone feature. Still cool though. I have the Navigon mobile navigator on my iPhone 4, and it mutes the song while giving driving instructions (through the car's speakers of course).

@jKo
They are a bunch of wires behind my DVD/Changer/Amp rack and other near the gas tank and did not introduce noise into my cable. Of course i did not run the cable all the way to the front of the dash as you have and maybe the faint noise you are hearing is getting into the cable as it travels along the gearshift area.
Could be. The whine is actually not even audible all the time during playback. And I got some suggestions from Discount Car Stereo for testing grounding issues. They seem very helpful.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:04 AM
JKo

Couple of pics of the current setup in the dash: iPhone holder with a pass-through connection mounted on a X308 specific bracket, both from Brodit. The flash makes the holder look shiny, but is has sort of a suade finish, and looks matte IRL.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very off topic, but i see that your spare is mounted with the front "down" and foam piece sitting on top. My foam piece sits against the floor and i put the tire over in outside facing up. Who has it backwards? Just a curiosity.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 AM
JKo

Originally Posted by Evvster
Very off topic, but i see that your spare is mounted with the front "down" and foam piece sitting on top. My foam piece sits against the floor and i put the tire over in outside facing up. Who has it backwards? Just a curiosity.
Which way is backwards then? My spare looks like it's been in use at some point, don't know how it was mounted originally.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

I have bought a 98 XJR, so here we go again. I was reading this thread to refresh my memory of the job. I really disliked the hassle of running wires, but I think am stuck with it. The XJ8 did not have an amp, but the XJR does, and so I think I'm back to the CD hack again.
The adapter mentioned is neat, but the ability to use the phone through the car speakers is great. I love my T605 after using it for years now. Only the access to the ashtray when the cupholders are in use is a problem. I may put the control head elsewhere this time.

Any updates on how your systems are working?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Default CD changer hack issue

Here are the pics of my particular unit. I think it must be different because the wiring diagram and wire colors are different... Could someone please tell me which wires are ground / left / right?
I don't need the CD changer to work afterward, I just want to tap into it to run an AUX wire that will be used for an ipod when the original factory stereo is in 'CD' mode.

Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?-securedownload.jpeg   Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?-securedownload-2.jpeg   Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?-securedownload-3.jpeg  
Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Default CD changer hack issue pt 2

Should have mentioned my unit says it's from 1996, and this is the part # LXF4160BA
Hopefully that helps.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Default Video

Hi thanks for all this info on butchering but I'm just curious if there is a video available on how to butcher the cd changer. I wanna do it but I can't really understand it by reading the text a video will be more helpful

Thanks

Old 12-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Update- the XJR is done. I learned a couple important points for those planning on doing this;
1. The "CD hack" can be done at the radio. You need to open up the cable and splice into the left/right/common wires, which is a bit fiddly, but it can be done, and it saves a ton of hassle running wires from the trunk.
2. If you have an XJR or XJ8, it makes no difference, even though the amp is in the trunk, it's fed the head unit.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

good evening all,

been away for awhile now I know its not too active a thread but I have just completed cd changer butcher job on my recent purchase, and would like to thank all for there input and great write-up details and pictures helped me no end.

now have cd/Bluetooth in jag and pumping those quality speakers full tilt thanks again.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:20 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Seeking some help here from everyone who's already gone down this path...

I have a second-hand T605 (that, in itself may be the problem).
  1. I've connected the T605 to the 10 pin multilock.
  2. My phone pairs just fine and the T605 can instigate calls and answer them.
  3. Using the T605 speaker attached to the T605 gives me sound

When I disconnect the T605 speaker hoping to hear audio from the HU I get nothing. The HU doesn't recognise the phone.

I've switched the yellow/orange cables as suggested in Jim's document.

I've gone into the HU setup to ensure that mute is on for the phone.

Here's my [temporary] wiring until I get things working:

Not quite sure where to go next....?

Standard 6 pin connector from T605

Blue RT2-1, Yellow RT2-2, Orange RT2-3 (have switched yellow/orange)<br/>Black RT2-6, Red RT2-8, Green RT2-10

Last edited by EscapedApe; 08-07-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

The rest of world cars have slightly different wiring to the USA cars, when I was attempting to install the kit I ran into a few problems. If you look through the attached thread, you will see a conversation I had with a member who helped me get it working. It may help you?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...diagram-30818/

The following users liked this post:
EscapedApe (08-07-2017)

Quick Reply: Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?