XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I think its Fuel Problem...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I think its Fuel Problem...please help! (UPDATE)

Thanks all for the help on this. I did the pumps (both) and thought I'd give it a few days before I come back with an update. Car runs great since the pumps were changed out. Again, thanks much for all your help

Hi all,

So I did a lot of reading on the forum and looked at a lot of posts but my situation is kinda off. Would any one please help? I have a 1998 XJR

The car is doing the similar symptoms like one of the member here, JimFloridia's,to be specific. (Hope he doesn't mind me using his name and copying and pasting some from his post). It died on me the day while I was driving, it kinda just sputtered and died. It starts (idles quickly, sputters, dies in 2-3 seconds - if you push the gas pedal - it won't rev, just sputters and dies). I performed the tests for pressure and there was nothing. What I did notice was, I took the high voltage fuse box in the boot/trunk off and unplugged the plug that goes to the #1 fuel pump relay to test the circuits, as I put it back together, I forgot to plug it in and the car seems to start and drive. However, the CEL came on(P1230). If I try to step on the gas to get it to pick up, it would sputter and seems to cut off in fuel once it hits 3000 rpm. I tested the same plug again(which is the one going to the #1 fuel pump underneath the boot fuse box OR the one that goes the to the top of the gas tank, I think its for the evap or something). Anyhow, I realized then it wasn't plugged so I plugged it in. When it was in, and I tried to start it again, it does the same thing that it originally did when it died...starts, quick idle, sputters, and dies in seconds. Now, I tried and pull the #1 fuel pump relay. Once it was out, it starts right up again and stays on like it is normal,...of course won't go past 3000 rpm and hesitates if I try to take it past while driving just like when I accidentally left it the plug unplugged. Any ideas? Thanks much in advance

Last edited by devxiav; 09-25-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by devxiav
Hi all,

So I did a lot of reading on the forum and looked at a lot of posts but my situation is kinda off. Would any one please help? I have a 1998 XJR

The car is doing the similar symptoms like one of the member here, JimFloridia's,to be specific. (Hope he doesn't mind me using his name and copying and pasting some from his post). It died on me the day while I was driving, it kinda just sputtered and died. It starts (idles quickly, sputters, dies in 2-3 seconds - if you push the gas pedal - it won't rev, just sputters and dies). I performed the tests for pressure and there was nothing. What I did notice was, I took the high voltage fuse box in the boot/trunk off and unplugged the plug that goes to the #1 fuel pump relay to test the circuits, as I put it back together, I forgot to plug it in and the car seems to start and drive. However, the CEL came on(P1230). If I try to step on the gas to get it to pick up, it would sputter and seems to cut off in fuel once it hits 3000 rpm. I tested the same plug again(which is the one going to the #1 fuel pump underneath the boot fuse box OR the one that goes the to the top of the gas tank, I think its for the evap or something). Anyhow, I realized then it wasn't plugged so I plugged it in. When it was in, and I tried to start it again, it does the same thing that it originally did when it died...starts, quick idle, sputters, and dies in seconds. Now, I tried and pull the #1 fuel pump relay. Once it was out, it starts right up again and stays on like it is normal,...of course won't go past 3000 rpm and hesitates if I try to take it past while driving just like when I accidentally left it the plug unplugged. Any ideas? Thanks much in advance

3000 RPM COULD BE A RED HERRING - THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THE ENGINE REV LIMITER CUTTING IN AT 3000 RPM - if not in drive - details on the forum....I'll try and get a link for you.

My understanding is that pump #1 starts the engine then pump #2 takes over /joins in.......With pump#1 disconnected. pump #2 comes on a runs the car?....PS I looked for the threads on the forum...EDIT = TRY THIS LINK....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-around-31160/ [PREVIOUS TEXT = struggled to use the search and get a result...But I know there are threads that describe the fuel pump interactions between pumps #1 and #2 and the rev limiter operation when not in drive]......ie just revving the engine up.....

Sounds to me that: fuel pump #1 or the wiring to it is not working. when the connector is out from pump #1, pump #2 is running as it should. When the connector for pump #1 is in and pump #1 doesn't actually come on, the engine stalls due to some logic in the computer(s)??...Hope this helps.....Allan

Last edited by Maninahat98; 09-22-2013 at 03:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
devxiav (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

You have one dead fuel pump, and the other one will follow quickly.

That's *if* your symptoms are exactly like the ones you quoted.

devxiav (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by plums
You have one dead fuel pump, and the other one will follow quickly.

That's *if* your symptoms are exactly like the ones you quoted.

+1

I had the same starting for a few seconds, sputtering, even more sputtering when you press the accelerator symptoms. One of my pumps was dead (previous owner replaced one but not the other).

Not THAT bad of a job to do (I've done quite a few fuel pumps and not having to "drop" the tank is nice).

If you decide to do it yourself, be sure to get the different color fuel disconnect set from the parts store. I ended up using the small light blue colored one to disconnect the fuel lines under that car above the rear pumpkin (axle). Be sure to undo the parking brake cable that is in the way of getting access to those two fuel lines. Besides that, it is just undoing fuel tank straps, disconnecting all wiring in the way of the fuel tank and moving the wiring harness out of the way to not get cut by the sharp edges of the fuel tank, removing fuel filler neck spring and then massaging it out of the trunk.

devxiav (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 11:47 AM

Thanks guys for all the reply and help. Allan, the car is in drive and on the road when the car is cutting off at 3000rpm. Thanks much guys I will post an update. I will be tackling the pump job today.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Thanks all for the help on this. I did the pumps (both) and thought I'd give it a few days before I come back with an update. Car runs great since the pumps were changed out. Again, thanks much for all your help