XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

No power windows from drivers door

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power windows from drivers door

I am the new owner of a 98 xj8.

I can not operate the power windows from the drivers door but can from the other doors.

I guess it is the window contol unit on the drivers door. Any suggestions?

Thx

Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Guess it is time to take the door card off and check the connections and switch first. They seem to be the problem more than the control module.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 PM

I had this problem after setting off the panic alarm of the security system. A former jaguar mechanic suggested taking a post of the battery for a few minutes and it cleared all my window troubles.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM

I'm having the same issue "all of a sudden" AFTER I disconnected the driver's door locking soleniod (which sounded the alarm). I've done the hard reset about 10 times over the past few days - nothing. I took apart the switch pack and cleaned it...still no luck. The memory button light doesn't even come on now. All the other windows are working with their own buttons EXCEPT the driver's door window. The rear-view mirrors work from the switch pack, but that's about it.

When I connect/disconnect the switch pack, I can hear the driver's door module "click" and the driver's door window AND the passenger window move slightly - mostly the passenger window though.

I'm just guessing, but I think that it's my driver's door module. I checked the fuses in the kick panel behind the driver's seat (fuses #2 and #15) and they are both good.

Am I right that I have to look for a door module that matches a code located in the trunk?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default window switches

I too had the same issue with the main window switch cluster.
It stopped working and if I remember correctly it did get wet in a down pour that month while parked.
The rear view mirrors worked but no memory on the seat positions.
So I bought a switch cluster from ebay in England as my car is a right hand drive Aussie, and i replaced the cluster in less than an hour.
It was a little tricky getting the door handle through the wood on the door trim, but all worked perfectly again.
The switch was only 50 bucks landed, so a good deal i think.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem with the added twist of a sunroof that automatically closed

It turned out to be dirty and loose connections in the module

Cleaned it up and now works fine

Old 01-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Default Cleaning the components of switch pack and wiring harness

I also posted this issue in the XJ (X308) XJ8 / XJR 1997 - 2003 FAQs HERE, but I will answer the replies from this area.

Thank you Koss2j and Obriendob - it would seem that connections and moisture seem to be the overwhelming possible issue.

I did, however, take apart that switch pack and clean it. It is only plastic pieces inside and the rubber "touch pad", which is layed upon a circuit board. There are no capacitors or other electronic "working parts" on this circuit board. I thought that perhaps it needed a cleaning with some electronic cleaner spray and a lint free cloth.

I did spray the connectors of the wiring harness and the driver's door module...then let them thoroughly dry. Still didn't fix it.

I'll keep looking into this and I see on Ebay that a used switch pack is running cheap, but not cheaper than cleaning it. I'll keep looking for a solution while I'm working on the car this week.

Thanks again!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep I think its gonna be the Ebay switch pack :-)

But really wasnt hard.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM

I have the same problem, so I;m posting to follow this thread.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Default It was the SWITCHPACK (Problem Solved for Me - Bought Replacement)

Okay, sorry for the delay in reporting my particular fix.

I can't say "don't bother" to try and clean (or dry) a switchpack once you know that it may be damaged by water. I did and that didn't help in my case.

At first look (without a magnifying glass), you don't see 5 small rectangular electronic components that are not just soldered points like the rest of the board. Of course there is the main window lockout switch and the illumination lights (four plus the memory light). I guess that this switch could have been made to totally go bad if the circuit is broken to any one of the lights or the lockout switch. If that were the case, I'm surprised that the car even started LOL

Below is a photo of my disassembled 1999 Jaguar XJ8 VDP's switchpack. PC board (PCB) 53025-00, revision D. X300 98 MY( Left Assembly).

TOP:

BOTTOM:

I wound up buying a used switchpack on Ebay for $68.00 and it immediately worked.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by tempest; 03-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.