XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Slight rattle on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Slight rattle on passenger side

So, there is this slight rattle/thump front mostly the front passenger side. First thought, from experience, is shock absorber bushing. Checked it out everything everything else was the way it suppose to be except I think the shock absorber bushings.

These big orange spongy things that is held by the black plastic shock covers seem to be loose. The one on the driver side seemed to fit snuggly into the metal shock absorber plate (where the shock absorber metal rod goes though and is bolted under the bonnet.) On the passenger side it's just kind of flopping around.

So far, the psuedo-dealership no longer have part number for them and online havent found ones that look like it only thin light orange disks.

Are these things suppose to fit snuggly against the metal backing plate or are they suppose to be flopping around. And where can I get some of this tyoe as they worked wonderfully before.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

They supposed to fit in the mounting brackets, I saw some on ebay.
But, I don't that they would cause a rattle or thumb, because is they are not metal.

Sounds like a ball joint related rattle and X308 has four front ball joints on each side of the car, which are, the lower and upper control arm, sway bar links, and tie rods.

Have a look at those and you might find the source of you rattle.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by sbreeden
They supposed to fit in the mounting brackets, I saw some on ebay.
But, I don't that they would cause a rattle or thumb, because is they are not metal.

Sounds like a ball joint related rattle and X308 has four front ball joints on each side of the car, which are, the lower and upper control arm, sway bar links, and tie rods.

Have a look at those and you might find the source of you rattle.
Looked at all of those but they all checked out fine. Well if they are not the source of the rattle, what would happen if I just removed them and called it day?
I might be just paranoid as the roads here are crappy quality even compared to the usual American standards. On a holf way good highway road though there is no unusual noise. Just over the crappy roads as if someone just threw down a bunch of old rocks mixed with a few drops of tar.
To be hired to do any el paso public work projects you must have "no idea what I'm doing but seen it one time on TV." on the resume.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Also check swaybar links or bushings

Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Look at this other forum thread on shock absorber upper bushing replacement (has bushing kit part number and instructions):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ushings-61227/

Jim Lombardi

Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi
Look at this other forum thread on shock absorber upper bushing replacement (has bushing kit part number and instructions):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ushings-61227/

Jim Lombardi

Yeah checked it out but the part seemed to be a totally different part than what I'm looking for and or need. The part number gives out to the shock mount bushing that is accessed under the bonnet, a little black disk thing. What I'm talking about is the relatively large orange sponge thing that is on the shock's metal rod that is under the black plastic/rubber shock cover(boot). My black disks, which seems to be common issue, is in perfect condition as if they have already been replaced before not too long ago.

See, you know how most people have common problems. Not my luck, any problem that have never been thought of or only happens in 1 in 300 million cases, that would be my "common" problems. With my luck the part that I need is some discontinued part only available by calling the Jaguar factory and having them actually remake the part and having to wait another three months for it to get here type thing only to find out they made the wrong part and having to send ti back to start process over again. That is my common life.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by sbreeden
Also check swaybar links or bushings
will do.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Hi
Here is the front right shock mount with bushing that is sold on the partsgeek.com website for $324.85 (Jaguar dealership Gaudin has it for discounted price $285.14):

Name:  2001XJ8frontrightshockmountwithbushing.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  25.5 KB

The bushing is the yellow part that is pressed into the shock mount and has the metal spacer/holddown on top of it.

OES Genuine Shock Mount - Front Right Upper - Part Number: W0133-1656828

The black bushing kit information I posted in the earlier post are the replacement bushings for the yellow bushing in the image above.

Here is the information on the motorcarsltd.com website:

SHOCK MOUNT BUSHING KIT 1X PER CAR XJ8 ---- $85.00
Position: Upper Front
Style: Urethane Bushing

The Jaguar XJ8's factory upper shock mount bushings are prone to premature failure causing general degradation in suspension stability and unwanted vibration and clatter.

When it comes time to replace the factory shock mount bushings, you'll be surprised to learn that replacement bushings are not available from Jaguar! Instead, customers are forced to buy a complete shock-mount plate assembly at a much higher price.

Jaguar XJ8 Upper Shock Bushing Kit: replaces stock sponge-type bushings with heavy duty urethane bushings. Each Upper Shock Bushing Kit includes 4 urethane bushings, nuts, washers, and installation instructions. Single kit services both sides.

Coventry West Inc is also selling this bushing kit on Ebay for about $100.

gaudinjaguarpart.com has the front right shock mount with the pressed in bushing - part number - MNC2168AF (retail price $351.00 - discounted price $285.14).

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 06-21-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi
Here is the front right shock mount with bushing that is sold on the partsgeek.com website for $324.85 (Jaguar dealership Gaudin has it for discounted price $285.14):

The bushing is the yellow part that is pressed into the shock mount and has the metal spacer/holddown on top of it.

OES Genuine Shock Mount - Front Right Upper - Part Number: W0133-1656828

The black bushing kit information I posted in the earlier post are the replacement bushings for the yellow bushing in the image above.

Here is the information on the motorcarsltd.com website:

SHOCK MOUNT BUSHING KIT 1X PER CAR XJ8 ---- $85.00
Position: Upper Front
Style: Urethane Bushing

The Jaguar XJ8's factory upper shock mount bushings are prone to premature failure causing general degradation in suspension stability and unwanted vibration and clatter.

When it comes time to replace the factory shock mount bushings, you'll be surprised to learn that replacement bushings are not available from Jaguar! Instead, customers are forced to buy a complete shock-mount plate assembly at a much higher price.

Jaguar XJ8 Upper Shock Bushing Kit: replaces stock sponge-type bushings with heavy duty urethane bushings. Each Upper Shock Bushing Kit includes 4 urethane bushings, nuts, washers, and installation instructions. Single kit services both sides.

Coventry West Inc is also selling this bushing kit on Ebay for about $100.

gaudinjaguarpart.com has the front right shock mount with the pressed in bushing - part number - MNC2168AF (retail price $351.00 - discounted price $285.14).

Jim Lombardi

That's not the part I'm talking about. Anyone have a suspension diagram of the front?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Hi
Here are the Front Suspension Diagrams:

Name:  2001XJ8FrontSuspensionDiagram1.jpg
Views: 9298
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  2001XJ8FrontSuspensionDiagram2.jpg
Views: 3792
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  XJX308FrontSuspensionRoadSpringandDamperShock.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  XJX308ListFrontSuspensionRoadSpringandDamperShock.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  35.0 KB

Jim Lombardi

Old 06-24-2012, 07:13 PM

yes yes. thanks. #9 part in the third picture is what I'm talking about. the spring assistor. what is the function/purpose of that part? and what happens without it?

Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hi
The part number for the Spring Assister is MND2150AB (also called a shock bump stop), Jaguar retail price is $18.05, Gaudin Jaguar parts discounted price is $14.80

I also found this article on shock bump stop on the internet:

"The main purpose of a bump stop is to serve as some final suspension cushion to keep the metal parts from coming together or from traveling too far, which might in some way damage the suspension or chassis. In the case of a coil-sprung suspension, you'll want the bump stop to stop movement before a condition know as "coil bind," in which the coil spring is completely collapsed and can compress no further.

This is a good time to have some kind of effective bump-stop action at the front axle. There's a lot of motor weight bearing down on the front end, and if the suspension bottoms too violently, something is bound to break sooner or later.

Consider also that a bump stop used in the final bit of travel in a suspension behaves much like a variable (or rising rate) spring. This allows a vehicle to use a softer spring rate than would normally be needed if there were no bump-stop control. Using a bump stop allows the suspension to soak up large bumps while still allowing use of that soft spring for normal suspension travel conditions."

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 06-24-2012 at 09:13 PM.