XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

TRAC/STABILITY - Again wifes 99 XJ8 - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I see that your car is a 99 XJ and the testing procedure I have is for a 99 XK. Take a look and see if it will help you along, I hope it does.
Link Jaguar ABS Repair

Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thanks so Much!

Thanks Gus, Sean, Boomer and Bob.
Weather finally cooled below 105f so I decided I should get to work.
I did the sensor cleans as recommended and after doing two, I started the Kitty and WAA LAA, no TRAC/STABILITY MESSAGE. I was dancing the jig and finished cleaning the other two sensors. But.... when I restarted the TRAC message came back on. Did a hard boot but to avail.
Since I still had concerns about the 4 volt reading I was pretty convinced it was a bad solder joint as Gus had pointed out and gave me GREAT instructions on how to repair it. I had already done his XK8 Hard Fault check from a previous post of his, and everything was perfect. Needed a E5 Torx to do the ABS Module repair, so was heading to O'Reillys to pick one up.
Decided to have the battery checked as recommended by Sean since i was going anyways and took it with me. though it seemed fine.
The battery showed 12.5 volts but the machine kept charging it for about 20-30 minutes before doing a load test. Finally test showed battery good but they did not have the Torx.
Went back, installed newly charged battery and guess what? No TRAC warning, even after several restarts and short drives! I guess having the Kitty in storage drained the battery and even though I put about 150 miles on it it, still was not recharged.
Not convinced yet but it is looking good!
Something the O'Reillys guy said is that you should always bring the battery in to the big tester rather than having it done by a small tester they use for in-car tests.
Again, Thanks so much guys and I am hoping to put a big FIXED on this thread soon because of YOUR insight and patience. My wonderful wife is soooo happy that she may have her freedom back soon, and even better, when both cars are legally driveable, I can take on my new job as a FEMA inspector helping those, who, like us, have had their lives turned upside down by a disaster. Our was Hurricane Ike where we lost my business and and most of our possessions.
Funny story about my wonderful wife. We lost about 30% of our personal belongs to Ike plus my business and all of our income.
After we were allowed to come home we bleached and cleaned as well as we could to get rid of the mold and still waited 2 more weeks for our electricity to be turned back on.
Soon after, I came home one evening and it seemed about half of what we had left was gone. I asked my wonderful wife where all our "stuff" had gone. She replied "I donated them to the Ike victims". Can you imagine anyone as giving and loving as my Brit wife? I can't.
Cheers & Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Mick Jaguar (02-12-2013)
Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Nice story. Congrats on the fix, Kenn....hope it holds. You'll call it closed when you have inspection and registration?

All flavors of Jag seem to be finicky about weak batteries.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Default The Continueing Saga

Went down to the closest State Emission station 40 miles away and filed for a waiver. They needed to reinspect the Kitty which I did not drive as no current safety/emission sticker nor current registration which i can not get till I get the emission sticker.
DPS guy said make an appointment for either Friday or next Monday as they are the only 2 days they test. I went for Monday as working Friday. Got home and wife pointed out the next Monday was Labor Day. Tried calling but no one would ever answer.
Had ordered the new O2 sensor and it was on they way. Could not make the next Friday as working but took a day to attempt installing the new sensor but there was no way I could access(upstream bank B). Decided to sneak illegal Kitty to Emission Station in the dark last Thursday night with wife following to pick me up.
Early next morning drove other car to Emission Station and was told I was scheduled for last Friday. Knew I was not as I watched the form the inspector filed out. Then was notified inspector was running late but maybe could sandwich my inspection in.
He shows up an hour late, I waited another 26 minutes(glad I took a book) but finally he comes out to inspect the Kitty. Drives it around then pulls it in the bay. I see him fiddling with the test machine for 15 minutes, then calling someone to help, so the two of them stare blankly at the test machine for about 10 minutes, then the inspector disappears for another 15 minutes. Finally comes out and tells me their machine is broken and he can not do the test but I should bring the Kitty in next Friday. AGGGGHHHH!!
Went to a local shop and he is going to try and install the O2 sensor, so waited till dark, had my wife drive me to the Kitty and dropped the car off at the repair shop and hopefully the mechanic can install the sensor.
If the sensor is installed I will need to sneak the Kitty out for a long midnight run to reset the monitors.
If it resets 5 of the 7, I can get the inspection locally, if not, another midnight run to the Emission Station next Thursday night.
Hope everyone else had a good day though(lol).
Cheers

Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Default FIXED and legal!

Final 02 sensor did the trick and was able to get a regular inspection, except needed new gas cap. Told the guy to just get one rather than find a cheaper one on line..
Really appreciate everyones help and I learned a lot this go around.
Cheers and a big Hip Hip from my wife.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks for the update, happy safe driving

Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Got to love a happy ending!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts