XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Low Beams Not Working Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013 | 05:21 AM
|
Question 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Low Beams Not Working Anymore

Both of my low beams for my headlights are not working although my High beams work and the Turn signals work ok. I bought two new hid lights since my passengers side one burnt out or I thought it burnt out at at least.

I installed the two new lights and both of low beam headlights where working perfect. Later that night I drove to Walmart and when I came out of walmart the passengers side headlight wasn't working at all. A day later I took it over to my buddies and we took a look at the relays. The relays physically look Ok but you probably can't tell by just looking at them.

I don't know if one relays runs both low beam headlights or are there separate relays for each head light? I don't have an owners manual and would like to find out where to get an owners manual for my 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas if anyone knows of a place please let me know?

The drivers side relay was located as when I unplugged the relay the drivers side low beam turned off and then once I put back in the relay the drivers side headlight came back on. That same night I drove home and both lights where Ok, I turned the car off, started the engine and now both low beam headlights don't work at all.

I took the car in to my local Jaguar and they told me to buy a new headlight assembly for $2,000 a piece. They never spoke of the relays which could be an easy fix to start at first. The part number is c2c22631 & c2c22624 for the headlight assembly.

I physical took out my headlights and took them apart tonight. On the bottom of the headlight is the ballast I believe it is called and it has metal all around it, doesn't smell really and is wrapped with metal around it with the computer inside of it.

Supposedly there is a motor in there that tilts the lights when the engine starts and I see the motor thing but I don't see how that motor has anything to do with the low beams at all since it doesn't appear to be connected to the low beams compartment.

I attached pictures for you to see the lights and the ballast from the bottom of the headlights or at least I think that's what it's called.

What do you guys think it could be or recommend?

2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas 90,000 miles

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Low Beams Not Working Anymore-1.jpg   2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Low Beams Not Working Anymore-image.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013 | 05:46 AM

There are several Post with links to Owner's and Driver's Manuals/Handbooks.

Try here:

General Tech Help, Jaguar Forums File Download Area, Folder Index

TOPIx - TOPIx

Last edited by reyesl; 10-06-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-06-2013 | 06:12 AM

Fuse/Relay Box:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XJ8 Fuse Boxes.pdf (318.5 KB, 1031 views)
The following users liked this post:
gman99 (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013 | 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by gman99
Both of my low beams for my headlights are not working although my High beams work and the Turn signals work ok. I bought two new hid lights since my passengers side one burnt out or I thought it burnt out at at least.

I installed the two new lights and both of low beam headlights where working perfect. Later that night I drove to Walmart and when I came out of walmart the passengers side headlight wasn't working at all. A day later I took it over to my buddies and we took a look at the relays. The relays physically look Ok but you probably can't tell by just looking at them.

I don't know if one relays runs both low beam headlights or are there separate relays for each head light? I don't have an owners manual and would like to find out where to get an owners manual for my 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas if anyone knows of a place please let me know?

The drivers side relay was located as when I unplugged the relay the drivers side low beam turned off and then once I put back in the relay the drivers side headlight came back on. That same night I drove home and both lights where Ok, I turned the car off, started the engine and now both low beam headlights don't work at all.

I took the car in to my local Jaguar and they told me to buy a new headlight assembly for $2,000 a piece. They never spoke of the relays which could be an easy fix to start at first. The part number is c2c22631 & c2c22624 for the headlight assembly.

I physical took out my headlights and took them apart tonight. On the bottom of the headlight is the ballast I believe it is called and it has metal all around it, doesn't smell really and is wrapped with metal around it with the computer inside of it.

Supposedly there is a motor in there that tilts the lights when the engine starts and I see the motor thing but I don't see how that motor has anything to do with the low beams at all since it doesn't appear to be connected to the low beams compartment.

I attached pictures for you to see the lights and the ballast from the bottom of the headlights or at least I think that's what it's called.

What do you guys think it could be or recommend?

2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas 90,000 miles
1. Do the new bulbs have the same power/light output or higher? The ballast might have gone out if the new bulbs have a higher output (old ballast might not last long with new bulbs).
I replaced my 4300k HIDs with 6000k bulbs and the ballast only lasted for one start cycle. Three Ballast replacements later, I replaced the 6000k bulbs with 4300k bulbs and have had no problems since. (except ground issues)

2. Both low beams use the same Relay but have separate Fuses.

3. You might have problems with the following: ground, wiring, fuses, relay, or switches. (long list)

4. They should have started with the easy fix first: Fuses.

5. The Ballast controls the HID and the stepper motor.

6. The stepper motor only operates the low beams (HIDs)

The Electrical Guide is available here:
http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm

Check out my "Garage, White cat" photos for more info.

Last edited by reyesl; 10-06-2013 at 06:59 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by reyesl:
gman99 (10-06-2013), hawaiianjag (09-05-2014), Kilowatt3 (11-08-2013)
Old 10-06-2013 | 07:56 AM
|

1. I don't know how powerful the lights where that came with the car since I just got the car back in January but I now have D1S Color 12,000k in there. When I first got the car 1 of the low beams lights would flicker, then turn off and then turn back on randomly so I made them replace the light. At that time the battery had 60 percent battery life but it get's super hot in the desert and now I have a new battery since a few months ago.

I had them replace the 1 light bulb passenger side and it has been good for about 9 months and stopped working but the drivers side was still working. The company I used only has a minimum of 6,000k for these headlights and I decided to go with the most powerful ones! LOL This could be the problem/part of the problem since you have had similar problems in the past.

Is 12,000k to powerful for these headlights and the ballast to handle that kind of power?

If our cars can't handle this kind of power why do they make these lights then?

Old 10-06-2013 | 04:05 PM

Wow, 12,000k? That is for Off-Road use only! You may see a lot of younger driver's using blue to purple hued HIDs but remember, they are all illegal for use on the highway. Your local law-enforcement will probably never pull them over, unless other drivers complain about the glare. Also, illumination starts to go down when using higher numbers. These lights are being sold because people are purchasing them as "cool-up-grades".

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Low Beams Not Working Anymore-hid4colors.jpg   2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Low Beams Not Working Anymore-hid-color-chart.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013 | 06:52 PM
|

I learn something new everyday!
I didn't know that about the brightness of the lights and thanks for that.

It looks like I'm going to need Two 4300k HID Bulbs & Two ballast, any idea where to get those from in the USA? I glanced on Ebay & did some Google searching but will have to do it over again to see what I can find. I'm going to my local parts store tomorrow to see what they can come up with & Jaguar.

I did check the fuses and they weren't blown for either low beams but I'm going to replace the Relay once I figure out which one it is just to be safe & the two Fuses.

What is the difference between the R2 Main Beam Relay & the DIP Beam Relay?
I have the XJ8 fuse box pdf & XJ Series 2004 electrical guide but I didn't see where it explained what these two parts are?

Old 10-06-2013 | 07:03 PM
|

My ballast should be a 12 pin with a 4 pin but I'm not 100 percent sure on it.
I know the 12 pin is right and I count 12 pins with metal prongs.
The other connector on the ballast has 3 prongs of metal but the part that plugs in to is is labeled 1, 2, 3, 4. If someone could let me know I would super appreciate it.

Old 10-07-2013 | 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by gman99
I learn something new everyday!
I didn't know that about the brightness of the lights and thanks for that.

It looks like I'm going to need Two 4300k HID Bulbs & Two ballast, any idea where to get those from in the USA? I glanced on Ebay & did some Google searching but will have to do it over again to see what I can find. I'm going to my local parts store tomorrow to see what they can come up with & Jaguar.

I did check the fuses and they weren't blown for either low beams but I'm going to replace the Relay once I figure out which one it is just to be safe & the two Fuses.

What is the difference between the R2 Main Beam Relay & the DIP Beam Relay?
I have the XJ8 fuse box pdf & XJ Series 2004 electrical guide but I didn't see where it explained what these two parts are?
1. I purchased 2 Ballast from eBay Venders (1 new and 1 used) and had problems with both. I returned 1, the other would not accept returns. I then purchased 1 from Amazon and received the wrong item, had to return that after persuading them that it was the wrong item. I then purchased 1 from a vender in England who was very helpful:
http://www.hidorigin.com/valeo-hid-r...ast-lad5g.html

2. The "Main Relay" is for the High Beams and the "Dip Relay" is for the Low Beams. Both should be "Brown 40A relays with 4 tabs. You may swap relays to determined if that is the problem.

Last edited by reyesl; 10-07-2013 at 06:28 PM.