XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 Radio & Window help fast please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 2004 XJ8 Radio & Window help fast please!

Hidy folks (I'm from the south,it means Howdy)
There is a long story for another time, so i'll save it till then as I'm in a bind and need some input ASAP PRETTY PLEASE????. I sold my 04 XJ8 about a week ago. Seller's remorse has fully kicked in with a vengeance.

I am looking at another at a local used Merc, BMW, Jag lot at another 04 XJ8 that has been on the lot for a while without being ran. After a jump start and a trip around the block, I still cannot get the radio to come on. It's just a blank screen. From when I'm hearing, I'm need to "reset" it for it to come back on? If so, how do I go about it?!?!? If not, is it a fuse, if so, where is it? If not, what could it be and where should I start?!?!?

Additionally, when I hold the key less entry button down on the FOB, the windows and the sunroof all open properly. However, when I depress the Central Locking Switch (the button on the dash next to the Valet button) and hold it down, the timing is perfect for the windows to activate, BUT only the passenger's side front and Sunroof will close. The others do not move. If these are cheap, procedural fixes, etc, I'd like to own this Jag. HELP PLEASE?!?!? Thank's ya'll in advance for your time and assistance!!!

RAGMAN!!!

P.S. If you feel speaking would be more effective, please PM me for my mobile number and hopefully I can ease my suffering. Thanks again!

Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Anyone???

Any one local to assist??

Hope to hear..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 13,087 Likes on 6,519 Posts

Hi Ragman,

I would suggest examining the electrical schematics to see if there are any common connections, fuses, relays, etc. that are shared by the radio and the central locking/window/sunroof operation. If so, those may be clues as to where the problem is. Here's a link to the '04 Electrical Guide if you don't already have it from owning your previous '04 XJ8:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

P.S. When you get a chance, I'm sure the moderator's would appreciate your stopping by the New Members area to post an introduction for yourself so we can all know a little about you and your history owning a Jaguar and your interest in purchasing another.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
abonano (03-28-2014), JimC64 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:05 PM

Don, et all,
My most sincere apologies for my previous failure. That will be remedied shortly. I will be returning to the lions den in the AM and am hoping to be as prepared as possible. I need to discover how the dash lock button is intertwined with the five other windows. I can raise and lower all door windows from the driver's door master and the sun/moon has no troubles when manipulated with the controls as well. Being in the IT field, I am curious to know if the glass are all connected directly to the dash button, are they in a serires wich begins with the sunroof or passenger window, or what the case is... The break in connection is my target. The electrical guide is greatly appreciated as well as it was abscent from my inventory. I've yet to obtain the opportunity to review them, but pray I find the smoking gun swiftly as I am quite exhausted and have more of the same to follow tomorrow.

For the stereo, a brief search (the fuses have yet to be examined), is leading me tho believe I must pohone the local Jag dealer when I have the VIN code in hand to assist in the battery change/security feature. If I've missed my mark, please, anyone, clear the air for me. This one I do not want to let slip away, but will if the juice is not worth the squeeze. I will certainly sift through my share of lemons prior to the delectable tangertine im so desperately seeking... Thank you and any other comments are more than wecome.

RAGMAN!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 13,087 Likes on 6,519 Posts

Ragman,

One other thought, since you mentioned that the dealer may need to help with reviving the radio after the battery dying. It is possible that the behavior of the central locking button can be reprogrammed by the dealer to operate in more than one way, so you might ask to see if the current behavior can be corrected by simply accessing the vehicle's brains via the dealer computerized servicing system (I can't remember if SDD or WDS is the most recent version).

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 10:46 PM

Hello Don!
That had occurred to me at the time, but as I was at a used lot that did not have trained Jaguar mechanics on hand, I did not want to rink any further issues/damage. I believe the ODB2 is till the main method of access as far as I know. When I return again in the morning, I will have the Jag dealership service dept on the line after already having described in detail both of the known issues and hope for some free advice and assistance (I know that it like wishing a fish will live comfortably out of its bowl), but i MUST try. If nothing else, the tech will tell me I'm full of beans and then I will, at least, have an avenue in which NOT to travel... Thank you for that and I'm hoping they will be be, at least, kind enough to boot the radio If that is indeed how it's accomplished). Now, on to my Introduction page. I have started the profile page, but that's a bit like having your mustard with no hot dog. lol

RAGMAN!!!

Old 03-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

I bet you can tell a good story around the campfire with the lads.....

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (12-14-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

OK, you have some pesky electric faults of a fairly minor nature, but what is the car like ? If you're buying a 2004 you need proof of owner care and maintenance. What sort of miles on the car ?

Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM

I have the CarFax on it. Up to 2011, it's got a great service history. from AUG 11 to now, there is nothing. It has 112,000 miles on it, but I REALLY need to know if the window electrical/short issue is a minor fix or a major one? Is there anyone out there that has dealt with this type of issue in the past and what was the outcome? Thank again to all!

RAGMAN!!!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Default Camp fires

Originally Posted by trosty
I bet you can tell a good story around the campfire with the lads.....
I have to say that the Good Lord certainly endowed me with the gift of gab. I try to speak so that the listener can "see" my words. I also try to leave as many answered questions as possible. It's more enjoyable for the listener as well. When actually hanging around whit the guys and I am jawing away, I try to involve the listener in various and unexpected ways. We all win that way. lol

Old 03-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ragman1171
I have the CarFax on it. Up to 2011, it's got a great service history. from AUG 11 to now, there is nothing. It has 112,000 miles on it, but I REALLY need to know if the window electrical/short issue is a minor fix or a major one? Is there anyone out there that has dealt with this type of issue in the past and what was the outcome? Thank again to all!

RAGMAN!!!
Simple answer is surely to say to them it is a deal if they fix the outstanding faults. I am assuming the rest of the car is OK and there is nothing else that worries you. I have to say a short trip round the block is no good, you need a few miles test drive. Always best not to buy a car that has faults on purchase unless the price really is right. If it is then allow about $750 to fix, but it might outturn much lower.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 PM

I absolutely agree. But, they are and willing to renegotiate any type of compensation or any type of repairs. They are selling the car as is for more than the NADA guide listing. I caught the dealer in a lie showing me a NADA paper listing the vehicle over $10,000 and was trying to sell it to me for $8000 and telling me that I was getting a good deal. Then proceeded to explain that I could fix the troubles with the money I was saving. When I brought up the NADA website it showed me that he was more than $2000 off and I faxed it to him and requested 5 times the NADA guide sheet that he was using and that request was denied every time. Needless to say, I will not be visiting the dealership ever again. A much broader search has led me to another vehicle that I believe is the vehicle I was meant to have. It is over 100 miles away and it is a 2003 Vanden Plays for $1200 less, 10,000 miles less and the interior and exterior colors compliment me hey great deal more than the first one. The owner is retired military as well and we started talking about our old service days. He is going to be out of town for the weekend but left instructions with his dealership that the car is to be cleaned and prepped and ready for me to pick up Monday afternoon when I get there. I and really discussed it was the first dealership but ultimately ecstatic that the deal did not work as I was able to locate a much better vehicle that is much more suited to me. It just goes to show that most often things happen for a reason.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Very glad to hear you've found the right car. Let us see it when you collect. I'm still not sure why you sold the one you had already !

Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Default New Member Intro Done :-]

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Ragman,

I would suggest examining the electrical schematics to see if there are any common connections, fuses, relays, etc. that are shared by the radio and the central locking/window/sunroof operation. If so, those may be clues as to where the problem is. Here's a link to the '04 Electrical Guide if you don't already have it from owning your previous '04 XJ8:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

P.S. When you get a chance, I'm sure the moderator's would appreciate your stopping by the New Members area to post an introduction for yourself so we can all know a little about you and your history owning a Jaguar and your interest in purchasing another.

Cheers,

Don
Remedied! Apologies for the delay. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...25/#post943112

Old 03-30-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Very glad to hear you've found the right car. Let us see it when you collect. I'm still not sure why you sold the one you had already !
That is long and quite complicated. I'm not certain my writing skills could capture the full reasoning, mindset, and options at the time. Those who know me best understand my thought processes, reasoning, and rationalization skills so it was much easier to have the cause understood without having to explain why telling a fish not to drink water is futile. lol

After all I've been through with that, the failed deal, and this, I feel that this is the one I'm supposed to have. I pray that situations don't unfold as they did with the first I would have to let this one go too.
I have a 99 Dodge Durango that I've had since 9 NOV 01. I have never, ever, even once, considered parting with it until I sat in the 04 XJ8 the first time. Unfortunately, sentimental value does not go as far as you hope it would. lol

R,
Rags