XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by GregRRich
The harness adapter for the S-type is the same for the XJ. The dash adapter is "close" enough to work with. It turns out that the S-type and X-type use a stereo that is slightly narrower than the XJ model. They are the same height and shape, just a half inch or so narrower... so when you install the adapter and put the entire assembly back into the dash, there's a 1/4" gap exposed on each side. I filled the gap with a 6" piece of generic black flat weatherstripping on each side. Placed carefully and neatly, it looks like it belongs. I fed the ipod cable into the ashtray area and removed the tray. Any size ipod fits into the space now with the lid closed.

I still have to install a backup camera... one of these days. I will post pics of the unit in the dash shortly. Honestly, if you have any experience at installing stereos, this is a pretty easy project. Removing the center console is probably the hardest part, and that only takes 15 minutes.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default you're right...

My stereo install adventure days were also in the 90's, back when it was fun.

To answer your questions-- I keep forgetting to post pics, but I will this weekend, I promise. And yes, because you have the standard stereo, the S-type adapter will work fine. For this install, I did not use an amp-- the factory speakers are actually quite amazing with a good head-unit pushing them. I really didn't feel like going the "box in the trunk" route this time. I did keep my options open for adding an amp (simple with the battery already in the trunk), but the AVIC series Pioneer head units have plenty of power and no distortion through the factory harness. The only problem I have, which is fixable, is that the stalk adapter I installed for the steering wheel controls doesn't work 100%. There's a guy on ebay who sells a custom adapter from London that claims to work, so I may get it, or try to adjust the settings on the one I have next time I have it apart to install a backup cam.

On a sidenote, when you remove the center console and go to remove the factory stereo, the entire stereo and climate control system comes out as one big "cage" assembly. This is actually a good thing- allowing you to take the whole thing inside and modify it on your dining room table, and just slide the whole thing back in as one complete unit. I think I spent less than 30 minutes actually inside the car for this install.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Can't wait for the pix.... good info

Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully the pics attached to this reply. Nice thing about the AVIC's is that you can upload your own splash screen (the screen shot when the vehicle first starts up). So I located Jag's stock screen shot and uploaded it to the head unit. You can see in the pics the gasket material I had to add to the sides to make it work with the XJ. I think you can get them in piano black, but I wasn't going to shop around when I didn't even know if it would fit... now that I do know, a piano black one would be even better.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Stereo-jag-dash1.jpg   Aftermarket Stereo-jag-dash2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Sarc (12-30-2013)
Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, well done and done well

Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Thumbs up! Very nice.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great work! You did an excellent job pushing through and making it work. I've thought of doing the same thing but I have the factory amp which makes everything more work.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently had a unit installed by Portland OR CarToys. Sony - DVD - Stereo - Navigation - Bluetooth. They made a great looking custom face plate and matched the leather/vynil around the unit. $1300.00 installed and it works great. Non amp system, but still really good sound. I congratulate you on being able to do it yourself!!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 AM

Do you have pics???

especially from the "great looking custom face plate" ???

Old 12-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GregRRich
Hopefully the pics attached to this reply. Nice thing about the AVIC's is that you can upload your own splash screen (the screen shot when the vehicle first starts up). So I located Jag's stock screen shot and uploaded it to the head unit. You can see in the pics the gasket material I had to add to the sides to make it work with the XJ. I think you can get them in piano black, but I wasn't going to shop around when I didn't even know if it would fit... now that I do know, a piano black one would be even better.
Can you tell me what the gasket material was and where you got it?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Default help am doing same job!

hi Greg, am tackling same job, how did you get the new double din unit secured to the aircon chassis parts? did you just rely on the plastic double din fascia kit?

am trying to work out how to get my new double din kenwood securely mounted to the car and not sure about just relying on the s type metra adapter.

thanks a lot, Al

Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 PM

2005 s-type my cdc had a cd stuck half in I took the cdc out remove the cover and turn the big gear and it pushed cd back in to the cassette now my sound cuts off an on the dash cd plays but the sound cuts in and out the same for the radio is there cure for my baby

Old 10-14-2015, 05:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys, been looking at this and most threads on the aftermarket caper Jaguar persist on, but in all the threads my 2004 XJ8 console is not what gets illustrated in the pics been put up, ???? any info would be well appreciated, my cat is 2004 xj8 x350 3.5 UK

Old 10-15-2015, 06:21 PM

HI Lukie, I haev successfully done a similar job as Gregr's photos further up the thread.
Mine is a 2006 3 litre V6 which had the basic head unit (single CD, FM) with sterring wheel controls.
I had now have a kenwood DAB/CD/video player (DDX5025 i think) which does everything so I can now play videos, connect my Ipod, bluetooth music or hands free phone calls and DAB radio (really recommend you get DAB) and also iphone screen mirroring.

It was a bitch to fit but then I only have basic skills.

First thing you need to establish is do you have the basic head unit or the factory sat nav/touch screen. The former has traditional wiring and can therefore connect to aftermarket units with wiring connector blocks available at most car audio stores or on ebay, whilst the latter has fibre optic throughout and not only that Jag uses the betamax version of that so the sort of mods you can do to BMW/Merc don't work. SO, if you have the basic head unit you can upgrade cost effectively. My total cost was about £550 and it totally modernises the car.

The next step is get a front panel like in the pic earlier by Greg... ; these are on AMazon - mine came from the states for about $12.

You have to take out whole centre console but it's not difficult once you know how and also the aircon and stereo come out as one unit and then separate.

The facia panel won;t fit exactly - they only do them for X and S type and you end up wwith a small gap down the sides - Gregr put strips over this but actually it's not noticable and I didn;t bother. MOre noticable is that they don't come in piano black and I wish I'd sprayed mine with a gloss black before fitting.

This facia panel gets the new double din head unit in position under the aircon, but I also rigged up mechano strips to hold the new unit firm against the aircon chassis structure so that my expensive double din unit is def not going anywhere - this was the hardest bit - with lots of bending mechano and bolts and clips to make a sort of makeshift head unit holder behind the scenes - all jsut using halfords boxes of bits.

I recommend you go for it. First step for me was get the centre console out, and hte old unit out so you can take hte car to an audio shop and purchase the right connectors with a head unit then you can quickly plug the new parts in and prove it works. YOu'll need a block connector and a sterring weheel conection adapater and aerial adapter but a good car audio place has a range of that stuff hanging on racks.

Good luck, Al.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:37 PM
Default Why won't it work for standard with navigation?

I have a standard system with the navigation will this also work with the xtype harness

Old 10-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

For all that trouble, you could have just bought an iPad or iPhone. Same goes with navigation if you don't like the inbuilt.

How long are you going to keep the car? But if you're having fun then that's different :-) (and nothing to do with sound)

Old 10-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Hello to whom this may concern. What year and model Jaguar was this aftermarket head unit installed?

Old 10-13-2019, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by SHOCKTROOP35
Hello to whom this may concern. What year and model Jaguar was this aftermarket head unit installed?
I haven't done it but I'm going to do it this coming weekend on a 05 jaguar xj8 standard audio with navigation. On my car I found out that the only speakers that work are the door speakers, dash speakers are blank and so are the tweeters but my audio guy will be running new wires and speakers to them. Hes going to do a custom single din box

Old 10-14-2019, 12:22 AM

Thank you for your response. I was asking, because I was about to buy this 06 Jaguar XJ8 from this elderly lady but when I found out that most of the well known car audio venders don't have any dash kits are wiring harnesses available to install a double or single DIN aftermarket head unit, I felt all hope is lost.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by SHOCKTROOP35
Thank you for your response. I was asking, because I was about to buy this 06 Jaguar XJ8 from this elderly lady but when I found out that most of the well known car audio venders don't have any dash kits are wiring harnesses available to install a double or single DIN aftermarket head unit, I felt all hope is lost.
Its finally done

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo