XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

crap, I adjusted my suspension hieght about 2 months ago, but i can't remember what the computer told me to compare the height to...something like 364mm, when I get my SDD back, or the JF member in Wisconsin that is currently using it for the same purpose sees this thread, one of us will get back to ya.

The following users liked this post:
Kilowatt3 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilowatt3
Hello again, fellows,

I'm bumping this thread in hopes someone can respond to my question regarding the nominal ride height. I don't really see any variation in the height of my car whether it's running, sitting, or has been sitting for a while.

Any insights appreciated.

If you don't notice a difference, you have a suspension system that is working correctly or maybe you have the conversion springs instead of air shocks.

Specs with tires at normal psi, fuel tank about half, measured from the center of the wheel hub to the apex of the wheel arch.

Front: 386 +- 15mm
Rear: 373 +- 15mm

Kilowatt3 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

You can get air suspension fault for issues other than a low ride height. Such as a compressor that doesnt fill the reservoir to the presribed psi in the prescribed time or other fault

Kilowatt3 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Front low speed knocking sound

Thought this incident maybe of some use. The problem: not long after aquiring my Pride & Joy (08 VDP) I noticed an increasing knocking noise when I went over small repetitive undulations in the road at low speeds (20 mph). Since the car had only done 30k this seemed perplexing. I rushed it to my dealer before the factory warranty expired. They had the car for sometime, but found other things as well. I had a their rental so was feeling little pain. They replaced the following items:

1. Front pax side air strut. I watched most of this in-case I had to do the next one. I wished I had read the thread on "replacing air suspension on XJ' prior to this, and I would have check if/when the battery was disconnected to establish a datum during sleep mode (I think the ride height sensor is on the driver side front). Anyway this failed to fix the problem.

2. Upper control arm replacement was next. Watched most of this as well, but didn't like getting in the way and wearing my welcome out. Much consternation when this failed to fix the prob.

3. Sway bar (anti-roll for the UK) location bushes. This fixed the problem which surprised me and the mechanic who said he hadn't had to change these before and they were v diff to get at. The mechanic had disconnected the "sway bar' end connectors ties and tie clipped the bar so it didn't rattle about during the road test (a standard diagnostic method).

Workshop practices: All the mechanics I saw used impact wrenches, for everything! Never saw a torque wrench used to finish a job. I got a pretty glib answer when I asked, but didn't press as it was being done under warranty....and this nice dealership had found and replaced the drivers seat module so now the cold air worked all the time, and replaced the head-liner which was just becoming loose in a couple of places. When I get it up on ramps I'll reset the torques on the upper control arm. So far the prob remains cured!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE3. Sway bar (anti-roll for the UK) location bushes. This fixed the problem which surprised me and the mechanic who said he hadn't had to change these before and they were v diff to get at. The mechanic had disconnected the "sway bar' end connectors ties and tie clipped the bar so it didn't rattle about during the road test (a standard diagnostic method).[/QUOTE]

I might have to try this, didn't think about disconnecting them.

I checked the suspension and found the lower shock bushings to be worn, purchased a set and will be replacing them in the next month or two.

Last edited by reyesl; 12-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The air spring (or shock) lower bushes are a "hardy annual" in the X350 owners calendar of regular jobs. This is because they are not very big, but the four of them together take the full weight of the car. (OK, the car is aluminium so not so heavy as an S-type. but still quite a weight for four small bushes).

The bushes are very cheap, and replacing the rears is fairly easy, but the fronts are not mounted on the shock but on the wishbone arm, and the bolt securing the shock to the arm can be a PITA to loosen off and remove, so that the arm can be taken off and the bush pushed out and a new one pushed in.

So far, I have had the rears swapped out, but shop says fronts are OK for now.

brakeboost (12-22-2012)
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rgzx11
I have a 2004 XJ8 still under factory warranty.

Car rode beautiful.

I had the same air suspension fault.

Took it to one dealer and they diagnosed it with bad air compressor and replaced with a new unit.

Fault code did not return.

Car didn't ride well. It felt like the front was bottoming out when going over minor bumps and dips.

Took it dealer #2 (as I had moved) and they diagnosed it with a burned relay and replaced it.

Car still bottomed out over minor dips and bumps.

Took it back to dealer #2 again and they found a leaking shock and replaced it.

Car rides good again - a lot hassle though to obtain a solution to the error code and poor ride quality.
Do you remember which relay # did they changed

Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

Just been reading this post and its a long one
I have had my Xj8 for couple months now and absolutely love it haven't had to do a thing to it love that
My question is 3 days ago I started the car and it lifted up ever so slightly the wheels where on lock
Today after sitting at the airport long term park for the last couple days when it started no movement at all
The day it lifted I had parked it with the wheels locked it also made a different noise for a while like the pump was going I haven't heard the pump before was wondering if it actually worked
Is this normal it's fine apart from that
I expect that I'll have to do some work to it eventually just curious

Old 10-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

You should not hear the pump if you just start the car, any levelling at startup uses air from the reservoir. The pump only runs when you get moving over 40km/h (don't quote me on that, but it's around that speed) AND if the reservoir needs topping up.

As to the levelling itself, if it's at the nominal height at startup then there won't be any movement. It can depend on temperature changes too.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by rf69
Do you remember which relay # did they changed

R1, Suspension Relay in the front Fuse/Relay Box.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XJ8 Fuse Boxes.pdf (318.5 KB, 792 views)

Last edited by reyesl; 10-10-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jag_genius
yeah it will save a code.. C2302 plausibility fault under air suspension.. it can need a relay #4 under the hood in the fuse box p/side or may need a compressor.. which is very common.
I thought R-1 was the air suspension on a 2004 XJ8

Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM

I have a question :
If I disconnect the battery for one month due to traveling when I am back I am going to be able to have my suspension up or the car will seat low.
I just replaced the rear pair air shocks from Arnott ( good quality by the way, better than the OEM, I would say ) and I am wondering if the front air shocks will go bad too if I disconnect the battery for a month. I heard that the battery gives power to something in the air suspension system to keep the car up, mate I am mistaken.

Help please, good advise would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 10-13-2013, 12:38 PM

Correction: "Maybe" I am mistaken

Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Stay,

Do keep us posted on how the Arnott shocks work out for you. I'm on the verge of replacing 1 or more of my shocks and I'm looking for some insite on the quality of these rebuilds.

In fact, I have started a new thread on the subject . $399 against $1500 is an important savings.
Arnott air shocks are amazing so far I installed the rear pair myself and I am not mechanic just following their video

Old 10-13-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by MK 82
You ignore them or find someone who knows what he is doing. You have a leak or a weak compressor or both.

Not rocket science.
If you do not mind me asking, where is the compressor located for the air shock suspension

Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Ive read through this thread and several others extensively but I cant seem to find a match for the issue Im having. Forgive me if I somehow missed it somewhere. Here's the problem...

Last Friday while driving home, I made a slightly more robust than normal left hand turn. The Air Suspension Fault like came on. I pulled over and restarted but the light stayed on. I drove the rest of the night for several more hours, restarting the car several times, but the light persisted. However, the ride height was not affected and the ride itself was still smooth.

The next day after having the car sit overnight, I restarted and the light was gone! Height and ride quality was the same. Usually, when shutting off the engine and locking the car, the shocks or air compressor would exhale for a few moments and the car would lower just a bit. It no longer does this after the fault.

Driving the rest of the week I noticed that the ride was becoming harsher, especially at freeway speeds, however the light never came back on. My usual mechanic scanned the computer and could not find any fault codes. They checked out the air suspension components and could not find any problems. But the ride continues to be EXTREMELY harsh, as if Im riding on 20" rims with just a sliver of tyre. Its very annoying and at freeway speeds it just does not feel safe. The vibrations come thru the steering wheel and the pedals like Ive never felt before. And yet the height of the car is still normal.

I have not yet checked/replaced the relay under the bonnet, but Ill try that this week.

Also, I noticed that my steering wheel and seat no longer self adjust. It just stopped doing it all of sudden once the ride became harsh. Could this be battery related?

Sorry for the long post.
Can you tell me the Relay# under the bonnet for the air suspension that you changed?

Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by tallbird
how about disconnecting the wire to the compressor or the relay, and driving around locally for a while? If the ride softens up some, then it is overpressurizing the system. I don't know what it would take to do this, or how long you would have to drive to depressurize it, but might be worth a try.

TB
Do you know where the compressor is located ?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Hot tip for the compressor relay, it's identical to the high beam headlight relay, I just swapped mine over, helped a bit at the time...

Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by MK 82
Didn't have it replaced. Replaced it myself. Changed one air bag and now another one is leaking. I am going to be one of the first coilover test pilots.
Can you tell me where the air compressor is? Please I am looking to buy one and install it myself I replaced the rear shocks got them from Arnott but the front ones just go low overnight by 2" I disconnected the battery to test them like that and the rear ones are ok

Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
^^^ arnot sells remanned air spring, their own version with new tops/shock/and air spring. And then they also sell a conversion kit with new shocks and coils. But you do have to send back your old airsprings for cores for the remanned factory airsprings
Good info

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault