XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

dsc unavailable, brake & engine light - thank you jag forum RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dsc unavailable, brake & engine light - thank you jag forum RESOLVED

totally new to jaguars, I am driving home today in my 2004 and I notice my engine light is on along with the brake light and a "dsc unavailable" .
Oh no.
As soon as I got home I made a bee line to my computer and started searching this forum to see if I could find out what was wrong and a fix. Of course I immediately found the throttle body problem along with many successes just cleaning it.
So I pop off the plastic engine guard and remove the intake hose. I am a HUGE fan of SeaFoam and always have some around the house so I grabbed a spray bottle I have just for this purpose. It was pretty grimy around the opening so i cleaned it 1st then opened up the butterfly and sprayed a really health dose in the throttle body.
I then pulled off the plugs to clean them. I repair/restore vintage audio gear as a hobby so I grabbed this stuff called DeOxit. It is used to clean contacts and is amazing stuff, so I sprayed that in the plug to clean them off. Let it dry a couple of minutes and then I put dialectic grease on the contacts and put it all together.
I then went ahead and sprayed another healthy dose of sefoam in the throttle body and put the intake hose back on. I like to let that stuff sit for a bit to do it's magic so started doing some other stuff and came back to it in about 1 1/2 hours.
Apprehensively I turned the key and as expected it did take a minute to start since it was full of seafoam, but she cranked up as expected and within seconds the engine light, brake light and the DSC warning were gone, but I still had the ABS light on. Bummer.
Going to take it for a test ride, by the time I got to the end of my driveway the ABS light went out, so all was back to normal. While not a long term test, I drove about 40 miles and everything seemed just fine.....
so thank you, thank you thank you jaguar forum.
Without info like this it could have cost me quite a bit of money. Instead, i have easy access to the info and with very little work I am hoping all is taken care of.

One thing I am now doing tho is running seafoam in my gas every few tankfuls to see if I can't prevent that from happening again.

The following 2 users liked this post by donintn:
Don B (04-11-2014), JimC64 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Sorry to hear of your issues but glad that you found this forum useful in helping to resolve them.

Thanks for taking the time to post your results.....