XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

No warning cut out on highway.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts
Default No warning cut out on highway.

Yesturday with temps in the 90's, A/C on full and a car load of people all eager to get to my girlfriends daughter graduation my XJ8 decided to just die.

No warning lights, nothing. It just died. Not helpful when you are doing 70 on a toll road and just about to exit From the middle lane during rush hour!

I have been running it with a leaking Rear Diff, and that is where the whine comes from, but that wouldn't cause an engine failure.

I had nearly emptied the fuel tank the previous night and filled it completely with fuel (without adding Sea Foam, I might add!).

The motor once we had coasted to the side of the road, did rumble, grumble , cough splutter start for about 10 secs before dying again. I was thinking water in the fuel lines, that's got to be it. However after trying to start on and off over a 20 minute period there was no change to the length of time the engine would turn and it would just die again.

There were no red or orange danger lights on the dash. There were no error codes thrown up.

The Tollway (don't crash into my Ar$e!) truck arrived and pulled up behind us, followed by the AAA recovery truck. Not bad all here within 20 minutes, that's why I have Premium service AAA. The tow truck hauled me up and drove me home.

Once unloaded I jumped into the seat and started the car . It was as if nothing had happened. Started straight away, straight to normal idle and no error lights thrown. I will get the OBD reader out and see if any codes were thrown.

I think my love for this car has finally been crushed, It let me down when I needed it the most in front of the whole family. Time to trade in for an american muscle car or Korean Saloon.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 PM

ODB shows error code P0191. Looks like a fuel pressure issue. I have added sea foam and will now change the Fuel Filter.
If that doesn't sort it, then purchase one of these,

Jaguar #AJ87977 List Price about $190
Ford #3R3E-9F972-AA which is printed on the part. Non OEM , but probably cheaper.

So, here's hoping.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

OEM part on Rockauto or other web sites under the Ford part number is only $75.00.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts

A very embarassing and dangerous breakdown.

Are you sure it's not the fuel pump?

They can fail "just like that".

You can measure fuel pump pressure at the schrader v/v on the rail if you have the gear.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 PM

I read a similar thread on here for an STR, i am going for the easy repair option before having to shell out more money on this.

I don't have the equipment or space at the moment to do anything long term as I am also in the process of packing the house to move. It really could not have happened at a worse time.

Sea Foam, Fuel filter, Rail sensor and if that doesn't work... Trade in.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 13,092 Likes on 6,523 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
Are you sure it's not the fuel pump?

They can fail "just like that".

You can measure fuel pump pressure at the schrader v/v on the rail if you have the gear.

Hi Trosty,

I know how frustrating this sort of breakdown can be, and they always seem to happen at the worst of times.

I have to say that I'm inclined to agree with meirion1. Of the possible causes of your P0191 code, the only one that seems likely to cause the engine to die suddenly is a loss of fuel pressure do to a problem with the fuel pump or its power circuit. The fuel pump relay is in the rear power distribution fuse box in the trunk/boot and would be the first thing I would check.

Fuel pressure regulators do not typically fail suddenly, and even when they fail, a properly-operating fuel pump can often supply sufficient pressure to keep the engine running (even if it is hard to start).

The Injection Pressure Sensor could trip the P0191 code, but again, its failure seems unlikely to cause sudden engine failure (though I admit I haven't studied how crucial its signal is to the ECM fuel mapping or ignition timing strategies).

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Old 06-04-2014, 11:41 PM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

X 3...Fuel pump.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

The fuel filter is supposed to be changed every 60K so you should be well on the way to your third at 160K. Do you know if it has every been changed?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
The fuel filter is supposed to be changed every 60K so you should be well on the way to your third at 160K. Do you know if it has every been changed?
When I purchased the car last Sept at Auction, it looked like nothing had been changed on the car in a long, long time. so I went about changing everything that I could (I was keen and the Jag was the new toy!)

I have had the new fuel filter since Sept, but just have not gotten around to changing it. Now seems like as good a time as any, if for nothing else than to at least get it running without the error code for sale.

It just seems never ending, one issue after another. Not having the facilities to get the car up above my head to work on it has been a major impact on not being able to correct many issues under the car.

No matter how much I love driving it, from now on I am going to be worried its going to conk out and leave me stranded.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I HAVE A 97 xj6L that quit on me in my drive way 6 month,s ago
CHANGED fuel filter, crank sensor it has fuel at the rail
still no start HELP HELP

Old 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Marko - wrong forum

Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Originally Posted by trosty
When I purchased the car last Sept at Auction, it looked like nothing had been changed on the car in a long, long time. so I went about changing everything that I could (I was keen and the Jag was the new toy!)

I have had the new fuel filter since Sept, but just have not gotten around to changing it. Now seems like as good a time as any, if for nothing else than to at least get it running without the error code for sale.

It just seems never ending, one issue after another. Not having the facilities to get the car up above my head to work on it has been a major impact on not being able to correct many issues under the car.

No matter how much I love driving it, from now on I am going to be worried its going to conk out and leave me stranded.

You could part-ex it for another car and that car could be no better. It's a matter of luck and if you can't get under this car I suppose maybe you'd have the same problem with a potential replacement.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

When you change the fuel filter, blow through the old filter like it's a trumpet. If it's clogged you will barely be able to blow through it. If you try the new one, you'll see it very easy to blow air through it. Easiest way to check the condition of the old filter.

The following 2 users liked this post by Muddybear:
JimC64 (06-05-2014), trosty (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 PM

getting on the fuel filter change job now.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Default X350 Fuel Filter Change.

I had a need to change the fuel filter to try and eradicate a low pressure fuel rail (P0191) error code thrown up by the engine two days ago.

I thought I would document it to help others.

I used the following tools,
2 x adjustable spanners.
2 x Posi drive screwdrivers.
1 x magnetic based bowl.
1 x flashlight
3/8 inch socket set. 2" extension, 10mm socket.
Blue workshop paper.
Oil/fuel catcher

No warning cut out on highway.-image001a.jpg

1. Put the car on a ramp. I recommend Front first.

No warning cut out on highway.-image004.jpg

2. Disconnect the battery (-Neg) terminal.
3. Open bonnet and remove the engine cover using the posi drive screwdriver.
4. Identify the Fuel rail pressure release valve and remove the blue cover to show the shrader valve.

No warning cut out on highway.-image002.jpg

5. Using the workshop paper , use a small object to press in the schrader valve and fuel will be released. Catch it in the paper. Do this multiple times over a couple of minutes.

No warning cut out on highway.-image003.jpg

6. Crawl under the vehicle and use the rachet to loosen off all the 10mm bolts holding the cover on. I found that every time i removed a bolt, I released pressure at the schrader valve and still fuel came out.

No warning cut out on highway.-image005.jpg

7. Identify the Fuel filter and remove the 3 x 10mm bolts holding it in place. The fuel filter is held in position by a clip on the plate.

No warning cut out on highway.-image006.jpg
No warning cut out on highway.-image007.jpg
No warning cut out on highway.-image008.jpg

8. Unclip the filter.

No warning cut out on highway.-image009.jpg
No warning cut out on highway.-image010.jpg

9. I used two adjustable spanners to loosen the nuts holding the filter on.

No warning cut out on highway.-image011.jpg

10. On loosening the nuts the filter leaked about 200ml of fuel into the bucket. Once this had drained no further fuel came out. So don't worry.

No warning cut out on highway.-image013.jpg

No warning cut out on highway.-image012.jpg

11. I pushed/pulled the filter to the front of the vehicle and it fell away. I inspected the piping and found it was good. I inspected the nuts and found some slight green discolouration which is expected. There were no O rings.

12. I cleaned up the piping and fitted the new filter. The tape is to show me which was was forward on the filter. I did not add O Rings.

No warning cut out on highway.-image014.jpg

13. I replaced the blue schrader valve cover (very important). I connected the battery and ran the engine. It started and run sweetly. I then proceeded to replace all the plates, clips and undertray and engine cover.

Hopefully now my P0191 issue is resolved.

NOTE: I blew through the new filter before fitting it and there was no restriction at all. I blew through the old filter and it was very blocked to the point where, old stinky fuel and bits of rusty gunk came tumbling out. It was an original Jaguar Filter and it looked old.

I hope this helps somebody in the future.

Last edited by trosty; 06-06-2014 at 06:46 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by trosty:
abonano (06-05-2014), AD2014 (06-08-2014), anindyam (06-06-2014), Anticitizen (06-05-2014), Don B (06-05-2014), lcmjaguar (06-05-2014), u102768 (06-06-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

This is good. The only thing I would add here before starting the process of replacing the fuel filter is to remove the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine - then disconnect the battery and release any residual fuel pressure from the Schrader valve connection. Just my $0.02

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
AD2014 (06-08-2014), trosty (06-06-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for the write-up with pictures! My XJ8 is also 2004 and I will probably be doing this soon, thanks to you. Spending time on this forum has really adjusted my attitude toward preventative maintenance (in a good way). Not to mention the gobs of money I'm saving by reading these DIY tutorials.

I went out and spent $100 bucks or so today for tools and supplies for my suspension conversion and oil change this weekend - which is going to save me $1000+ from what it would have cost to have the stuff done by a mechanic. And once I sell my old suspension bits, I'll actually be turning a profit...

The following users liked this post:
trosty (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 02:18 PM

P0191 issue is still there. So I ordered the (Ford same spec) Sensor Fuel Pressure from ebay for $70. Should be here sometime next week. Hopefully that will be real easy to change.

Ford 03 04 Cobra 3R3Z9F972AA 3R3E9F972AA New Original Fuel Pressure Sensor | eBay

Last edited by trosty; 06-06-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: added Ebay link
Old 06-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Great writeup. This is going in my Jaguar folder. I could compile a book of how to's from all the great posts around here!

Hope you get your ultimate problem solved. Would hate to see you driving a Korean Saloon!

The following users liked this post:
trosty (06-06-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 11:28 AM

Well, the fuel filter change did nothing to stop the engine cutting out and not restarting. I drove it for about 10 miles and all was well. No lights, no cough splutter or anything.

I stopped at a garage, switched off to go inside for a couple of minutes and on return it had the same no start issue.

So the sensor is going to be replaced next, when it arrives next week. Then if that doesn't work its the fuel pump(s) that are going to be changed out.

I suppose while it is parked at a service garage I could get the leaky rear diff looked at and change out the transmission pan and oil. Maybe this is just meant to be.

Quick Reply: No warning cut out on highway.