XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rear MultiMedia & the Ipad/pod/phone Music Quest

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear MultiMedia & the Ipad/pod/phone Music Quest

Hi Everyone,
Just sharing some info after intense web research. I simply want to listen to my "I" music. Any personal experience from anyof you would be greatly appreciated!

ACM
I am really iffy on having my console dismantled and possibly get the creky-craky noise or electrical shortage, for the sake of my 80s music
FYI, the ACM part in UAE cost $1k with out even including installation. I just can see this being a nightmare over here in Dubai getting installed properly even if by Official Jag.

Radio or Cassette Adapters
Maybe the radio one will work, Not sure of the quality. Lots of free radios pace here. I also have a cigarette charger socket in the glove compartment

My Own Aux
After reading the manuels, I discovered that the Sovereign has Rca Auxiliary sockets. Just wondering if my 2006 can handle this new tech with my Iphone4s and Ipad3
The coolest thing is if I could get this to work with music atleast and I can only hope id be able to watch movies too.
Apple Composite Av Cable
http://store.apple.com/ae/product/MC748ZM/A/apple-composite-av-cable
Seems like this could work, as it can also charge from the USB cable in the cigarette charger in the back.

Ill keep you posted!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I have found searching the internet. I don't own it though. iP-JAGCD iPod Adapter for Select Jaguar with CD Auto Changer :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@bebelajag

If you have rear entertainment that is the easiest way to connect.

Have a look at this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...22/#post576293

@chitowncraig

The part you refer to only works on the earlier x308 cars. The x350 cars have an optical bus for the sound system that is not easy to modify

The following users liked this post:
bebelajag (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Sarc
@bebelajag

If you have rear entertainment that is the easiest way to connect.

Have a look at this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...22/#post576293
Thanks! Love your car BTW!

Wow, I hope I have this feature, Mine is a LWB GCC (middle East) specification 2006 and I will let you know if I have the 3.5 input in front console arm rest and that secret spy button!

Also does that 3.5 input charge?

I'll keep y'all posted

***Update - No front console 3.5 input socket and no spy button... Just pray the back Aux works

Attached Thumbnails Rear MultiMedia & the Ipad/pod/phone Music Quest-image.jpg  

Last edited by bebelajag; 03-28-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Update!

The Apple Av Adaptor works great!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Rear MultiMedia & the Ipad/pod/phone Music Quest-image.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

@bebelajag

Yes, the hidden 3.5mm jack seems to be unusual, although I have seen it on 2 other cars. It doesn't charge. It is actually a pretty simple modification to make. The left hand side RCA connections for sound (The red and white ones) are actually not connected any more at the rear entertainment console, so I can't actually plug a sound device into them from the back of the car. (I could use the right hand ones if required) Behind the rear panel the wires are instead connected to a 3.5mm jack cable that runs all the way round the car into the center console.

The magic button is just wired in parallel to the "Audio Select" button on the rear panel, again just with long wires that run around the car into the coin tray with a push button switch connected to the ends of the wires. When you press the button the audio signal cycles through the different inputs [AM --> FM --> CD --> CDC --> Aux 1 (this is the setting where the sounds from the device connected to the 3.5mm jack play through the stereo) --> Aux 2 --> DVD] This is the same behaviour as if you press the "Audio Select" button on the rear console. I didn't do the modifcation, but I've seen how it's all done as I've had various bits of the car apart at various times. I think if I was going to do it myself, I would have some kind of second switch so you could select sound between the front 3.5mm jack and the original jacks on the left hand side of the rear panel. I don't like the fact that these are now permanently disabled on my car.

Glad you got the apple AV to work. I assume the video images show up on the rear screens ? (and not the front screen)

Last edited by Sarc; 03-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarc:
bebelajag (03-28-2013), NatRay (10-06-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:23 PM

@bebelajag
Glad you got the apple AV to work. I assume the video images show up on the rear screens ? (and not the front screen)

Thank for all the info. Actually, mine does not have rear headrest screens, Tomorrow I am going to test the video output on the main front screen with a video and front the ipad.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Sarc . . . I am new to the forum and own a 2005 PlatinumSilver Super V8. I would like to make this modification, but haven’t figuredout how to access the rear multimedia switch pack. Any help on this matterwould be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Nat Ray

Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll tag along, to see the outcome.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

According to the workshop manual, you have to gently prise off the plastic trim panel from around the rear seat module, then there are screws visible underneath, which you can unscrew to lift the module out.

My car (Portfolio) has the fixed center console in the rear so it's different from a normal Super V8

NatRay (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM

According to the workshop manual, you have to gently prise off the plastic trim panel from around the rear seat module, then there are screws visible underneath, which you can unscrew to lift the module out.

My car (Portfolio) has the fixed center console in the rear so it's different from a normal Super V8

I bought the X350 Shop Manual today and have reviewed the information on the Rear Passenger Entertainment Control Center. Removing the Control Center in now not the problem, however, the wiring diagram might as well have been written in the ancient language of Egyptian Hieroglyphics. I don’t have a clue what I am looking at . . . I appreciate your reply.

Best regards,
Nat Ray

Last edited by NatRay; 10-08-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

This is not an easy one for sure.

You are going to solder wires onto the printed circuit board in parallel to the "audio select" button on the switch pack. Then you are going to cut the RCA inputs on one side and reconnect those cables into your 3.5mm jack lead.

Are you used to working with circuit boards, etc ?

This is not for the feint hearted and it's a permanent modification

Ianran (12-24-2018)
Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Thumbs up Enhancing without compromise . . .

After installing a JVC KW-HDR81BT CD receiver in my wife’s Dodge Magnum, and a JVC Arsenal KD-AHD75BT in my Dodge Ram, it became blatantly clear that my 2005 Jaguar Super V8’s entertainment center wasn’t in the same league with today’s sound systems. Mine you, the Jag’s sound system was ‘state-of-the-art’ in 2005, the golden age of the CD.

The 2005 Super V8 was built as a limo, with the Queen in mind. The back seat incorporates a plethora of sources to choose what is being piped throughout the cabin. Strangely enough, the driver doesn’t have as many options, but has ultimate control over the use of the entertainment system.

In my quest to bring the 2005 Jag’s entertainment system on par with the Magnum and Ram, I wanted to enhance, but not compromise an already excellent sound system. In order to do this, the addition of Bluetooth, for hands free calling and streaming; along with the ability to play MP3 files was prominent on my short-list. I wanted a solution that would require minimum effort, but return the greatest ‘bang for the buck’.

After an extensive period of research and testing I settled on two units that proved more than adequate:

The Jabra Freeway

and . . .

The Satechi Soundfly AUX

Both units were inexpensive and exceeded my expectations. My goal was achieved without compromising, or turning a screw on the Jag. I am totally pleased with this ‘plug n play’ solution, and would recommend these products without reservation.

** This post was written without harming a Jag . . .

Best regards,
Nat Ray

Attached Thumbnails Rear MultiMedia & the Ipad/pod/phone Music Quest-001.jpg   Rear MultiMedia & the Ipad/pod/phone Music Quest-002.jpg   Rear MultiMedia & the Ipad/pod/phone Music Quest-003.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NatRay
After installing a JVC KW-HDR81BT CD receiver in my wife’s Dodge Magnum, and a JVC Arsenal KD-AHD75BT in my Dodge Ram, it became blatantly clear that my 2005 Jaguar Super V8’s entertainment center wasn’t in the same league with today’s sound systems. Mine you, the Jag’s sound system was ‘state-of-the-art’ in 2005, the golden age of the CD.

The 2005 Super V8 was built as a limo, with the Queen in mind. The back seat incorporates a plethora of sources to choose what is being piped throughout the cabin. Strangely enough, the driver doesn’t have as many options, but has ultimate control over the use of the entertainment system.

In my quest to bring the 2005 Jag’s entertainment system on par with the Magnum and Ram, I wanted to enhance, but not compromise an already excellent sound system. In order to do this, the addition of Bluetooth, for hands free calling and streaming; along with the ability to play MP3 files was prominent on my short-list. I wanted a solution that would require minimum effort, but return the greatest ‘bang for the buck’.

After an extensive period of research and testing I settled on two units that proved more than adequate:

The Jabra Freeway r

and . . .

The Satechi Soundfly AUX

Both units were inexpensive and exceeded my expectations. My goal was achieved without compromising, or turning a screw on the Jag. I am totally pleased with this ‘plug n play’ solution, and would recommend these products without reservation.

** This post was written without harming a Jag . . .

Best regards,
Nat Ray
How's the sound quality? I remember the old fm modulator cd changers not being as clear.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Thumbs up Sound Quality

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
How's the sound quality? I remember the old fm modulator cd changers not being as clear.

Sound quality is contingent on several variables; they include:
1. The audio system the device is tethered to . . . It won’t fix a system with problems.
2. The quality of the recorded media . . . All audio files aren’t created optimally.
3. The user’s ability to incorporate and tune the device and system to work harmoniously . . . This is probably the most important of the three.

For me, optimum quality was achieved by adjusting the Soundfly AUX’s volume to its max setting with the treble and bass set to zero. The JAG’s EQ settings, via the ‘MODE’ button, were used to fine tune the Soundfly’s output. Satechi claims CD quality, but FMHD is about the best you can hope for.

The best quality is achieved by marrying its AUX output to an input source. If you don’t mind running wires to the JAG’s rear multimedia pack, this is doable. I, personally, didn’t find this option attractive, nor necessary.

After tuning, the only noticeable difference was how much the volume could be raised. Even with the Soundfly’s volume set at its max, it doesn’t equal what can be achieved via the JAG’s native sources (radio/CD), but loud enough to run you out of the cabin.

Other notable observations:

The documentation touts the use of a 32 GB SD or USB drive, but only supports 1,999 selections. Either of these devices will store far more than the number of supported selections. A 16 GB drive is more than adequate. If 1,999 selections aren’t enough, you can use both an SD and USB drive simultaneously. You can switch between the two sources for a combined total of 3,998 selections.

The Soundfly AUX offers better folder navigation than the two radios I installed in other vehicles. Folder navigation is accomplished by pressing the ‘NAVI’ button followed by the ‘MEM’ button, and using the fast forward/reverse buttons. Hit the play/pause button to select the desired folder.

All things considered, the Soundfly AUX has earned a spot in my Super V8. If I were to give it a grade, it would be ‘B+’ . . . Why not an‘A’ . . . Occasionally, I like to ‘Pump up the volume’.

Best regards,
Nat Ray

BrentGardner (10-18-2013)