XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Select Edition Warranty scam!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Select Edition Warranty SCAM!!

select usually covers everything! except ball joints and wear and tear items and interior trim... but the truth is everything can be covered... when the service advisor sends a email claim into the select people they say if it is covered or not.. you have to have a good service advisor that works with you.. and has a good imagination and uses the right words in his email... i'd say go to another dealer.. ive seen everything be covered just the way the advisor words it.

The following users liked this post:
anindyam (06-07-2012)
Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that in your case the dealership is at fault.Iagree with genius. SE covers rear view mirrors no questions asked!!!!

They do not cover any type of re-flashing except on certain Technical Bulletins. No other warranty will cover re-flashing.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the same issues with SE. The famous diagnostic charges!! Also was told that it is only breakdown coverage and not even close to the original warranty coverage. And like you say buy the time they find the problem it's too late. I took my car in to have a coil and plug replaced which was covered and came out with 2 coolant leaks that weren't covered. After refusing to pay over 600.00 to have the hoses replaced and getting tagged for the 120.00 Diag. fee I found that the leaks were just loose hoses and fixed them myself. I'm sure they were knocked loose or pulled loose during the coil and plug change. These guys will look you right in the eyes and lie right to you.
I know that their not all that way but I do hear a lot of the same storys of this going on.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

I would definitly like to know which dealer you went to. Rear view mirrors as JHE2003 stated are indeed covered by SE. Also you did not say what the transmission fault ended up being. If there is a TSB that covers the reflash then select should pay it. They cover just about everything except rubber components and brakes. Also no trim items. It is pretty much a powertrain warranty and I will have you know for a Jaguar it is the very best extended warranty out there. No deductible, no partial labor payments. They pay for a factory rebuilt engine if it blows up and the others will ship out a used one. Also the memory seats? I cannot think of anything that would fail in the memory seat system that select edition would not pay for. You definitly need to be using a different dealer.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM

Wow, is this now FromBMWtoJagandbacktoBMW?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey fjt who was it that was deleted?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM

lol cant remember his name now. But was Frombenz under different name. Thanks for bumping this again....lol. Wish we could just delete it and forget it ever happened.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You kidding me i just got to catch up on the drama! Delete it and I wouldn't be able to feel my blood pressure raise![:@]

Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 AM

LOL

Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Jaguar of Novi, MI.
I was having issues with my car not starting after sitting over night. I took it into the dealer and they told me it was the wiring under the front passenger and driver side. Complete wire corrosion and they needed to repair the harness. They said that wasn't covered under warranty and charged me $670.

Also, after winter, I went to open my sunroof for the first time. When i went to open it, i heard a crack and then it wouldn't move. They told me the entire track has been warped and stripped. They told me I'd have to pay 1700 to fix it.

I have a transmission leak. They told me that was not covered under warranty and told me i'd have to pay about 670 as well.

I had them fix the wiring and paid the 670. Then they made me pay the fee for checking the sunroof because i didn't have them fix it. So i paid about 780 dollars total.

I've been told that those issues are in fact covered by warranty. Is this so?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

trim items not covered and like previously mentioned its how its worded. corrosion never covered. trans leak,, depends on why, as an example
Select will never cover anything with air bags, like the steering wheel cassette replacement for air bag light.
But the same part can be covered for say horn inop...Some dealers are not warranty friendly since theyre not paid as much ( think doctors and medicaid ) If you have a dealer, tech, or advisor find another. Or discuss reasoning and is there a way this can be worded done to be covered???

Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Hmmm... I had a seatbelt stop working on a '94 Mazda Miata. Cost about $30-50 for me to fix myself if I remember correctly.

I wonder if a lot of your problems has to do with the actual dealer you are working with. Have you tried calling or taking the car to another dealership?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Damn how many of you are divorced??
Did you tell your spouse or did they tell you about all their bad habits and things you divorced them over before you got married??
NO they projected their best traits and behaviors. Do you thing any company still in business is gonna say our product kills, people, we wont help you after you buiy it, our service sucks, you have a repaiman out constantly to fix it, youll be pissed cause we dont cover this and that on our warranty???? NO they talk about what they do and how good they are and all the positive stuff. Also all warranty companies modify what they cover from time to time, and the times they pay for jobs too. In todays economy theres alot more declining and less paid for jobs, and this is ACROSS the board with all warranty companies still in business. Select is not owned or run by Jaguar, its subcontracted to an aftermarket ext warranty company. And they USED to be alot more liberal
Let me see
I wouldnt have married my first wife if you had told me she was lazy and never wanted to work and sit and home and do nothing with her life.
Or my second if she'd have said she couldnt see being with 1 man the rest of her life and raising 3 kids< I laugh cause the guy she ran off with is a nut and she has ruined her life.
or my 3rd if she have said you know youre a good father but I just dont like this whole kid and mom thing< I have 3 teens and anyone with kids knows the trouble that can be at times. you need patience, compromise, and advil and its not about you but about others.
If you dont like what you got, get something else, we do it with spouses and unborn children, and a car isnt that big a deal
Just remember, once you stand on the other guys grass, its often just as brown and thin or worse than your own

anindyam (06-07-2012)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

I can't speak to whether your salesman might have exaggerated the Select Edition coverages, but I can tell you for a factory backed extended warranty, you'll be hard pressed to find a better one. It has been hailed for years as the best in the business. Wear & tear, trim and cosmetic items are about all that is excluded.

Here below is the text of a 2010 Select Edition parts coverage update, and attached is the covered parts list.

Select Edition Parts Coverage Update

As a result of continued improvements on our vehicles, the Select Edition Warranty coverage exclusion
for 'Bushings' is being modified to 'Serviceable Bushings'. Consequently, components with nonserviceable
bushings will be covered by Select Edition when the bushing results in the component
failing to meet factory specifications.
• Serviceable bushings are not covered under the terms of the Select Edition Warranty.
• Non-serviceable bushings which result in the affixed component to not meet factory
specifications are covered under the terms of the Select Edition Warranty.
This change in component coverage takes affect 29 January 2010. Claims prior to the effective date
will not be considered for coverage.

Check the covered parts list for your failed item, if it ain't there, it ain't likely covered.

Cheers,

Attached Files
Xistnnn (10-22-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the select edition warranty cover maintenance expenses such as an oil change? I gotta spend $100 just for a simple oil change, I'm a bit pissed cause I thought I wouldn't have to pay a cent.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by DavidRey
Does the select edition warranty cover maintenance expenses such as an oil change? I gotta spend $100 just for a simple oil change, I'm a bit pissed cause I thought I wouldn't have to pay a cent.
YES AND TIRES AND BRAKE PADS TOO
LOL COMEON DAVID YOU KNOW BETTER.
BLENDED SYNTHETIC/DINO OIL $4/QT X8=$32
FILTER AND DRAIN PLUG $10
TECH TO DO WORK$10
CAR WASH AND VAC $5
SERVICE ADVISOR TO MEET AND GREET YOU $5
SOMEONE TO TAKE YOUR MONEY AND DO ALL PAPERWORK $3
DISPOSAL FEE'S
SHOP FEES
WE CHARGE $95
MOST OF MY FRIENDS I KNOW THAT OWN OR WORK AT INDY SHOPS DONT EVEN LIKE TO DO OIL CHANGES CAUSE THEY CANT COMPETE WITH OUR COST IN BULK AND THEY CHARGE $105-115 W/O CAR WASH AND VAC
THERE ISNT A WARRANTY COMPANY OUT THERE THAT COVERS CONSUMABLES, OR MAINTENANCE ITEMS. BELTS, HOSES, LOFS ETC....

anindyam (06-07-2012)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts
Default MisIdentification

Originally Posted by FactoryJaguarTech
lol cant remember his name now. But was Frombenz under different name. Thanks for bumping this again....lol. Wish we could just delete it and forget it ever happened.

Just reading this bumped thread...

I do not know 'FromBenz', but I can assure you I am not he and he is not I.

thanks-
mag

Quick Reply: Select Edition Warranty scam!