XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sound System Woes - NO SOUND!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sound System Woes - NO SOUND!

Sorry for the lengthy post - but I wanted to try to explain this as best I can

About 2 months ago, I started the car and no radio sound. I fiddled around with a few settings and nothing happened. I thought I might have inadvertently set it on mute or something. For whatever reason, I decided to restart the car and it worked fine.

A month ago, same thing. I immediately tried the restart and nothing. Drove about 10 Km, turned the car off for 5 minutes, restarted it, and all was fine

Yesterday, same thing. Tried restart in the driveway, nothing. 2 restarts along the way, nothing. After 10 KM, stopped for 2-3 minutes, restarted and all was fine

Today - Same thing - Tried several restarts and nothing. The car sat for 2 hours, restart - nothing. The car then sat for 4 hours, restart - nothing and after another 2 restarts, I am home and still nothing.

I tried switching FM to AM, switching stations, turning radio off and on, and nothing worked. There isn't even static, just silence. I tried the Nav which worked fine, but no voice. I tried to change to the CD Changer, but the CD changer control didn't appear on the screen. I have the Alpine system, Nav, and the rear entertainment centre. I do have an external Sirius, but it is not hooked directly to the radio, There is no phone connected or tethered.

I read through a few threads which talked about a software reset, but there didn't seem to be a clear resolution. There was also mention of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but there didn't seem to be any indication if it worked or not

HELP! I'm sick of singing to myself. I am 5 hours from the nearest Jag dealer. If anyone could offer any helpful hints, or anything I cold try, I would be MOST appreciative!

Thanks

Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,364 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Mine does the same thing from time to time. I imagine it has something to do with system initialization or the ACM the dealer installed. Jaguar has no ideas.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Also it seems to happen more often when I leave the audio on when turning off the car, if I turn off the head unit first, then the car, it rarely happens.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

This happened to me right after I bought the car in September. I'm ashamed to admit that there was something I did that resolved the issue that worked, but I can't now remember what it was! If I remember I'll post it later, but I think it had something to do with going into the sound settings from the touchscreen system's setup menu.

Last edited by SuperTrav; 10-27-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: edit for grammer
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Mine does the same thing from time to time. I imagine it has something to do with system initialization or the ACM the dealer installed. Jaguar has no ideas.
Pardon my ignorance, but what's an ACM? So since Jag has no idea, you're continuing to experience the problem?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2011, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by SuperTrav
This happened to me right after I bought the car in September. I'm ashamed to admit that there was something I did that resolved the issue that worked, but I can't now remember what it was! If I remember I'll post it later, but I think it had something to do with going into the sound settings from the touchscreen system's setup menu.
If you do recall, I'd appreciate the help. I'll take a look at the settings this morning but I think I already tried that. Thanks

Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fairlane500
Pardon my ignorance, but what's an ACM? So since Jag has no idea, you're continuing to experience the problem?

Thanks
Ipod & USB hard drive dock. Yes it happens from time to time, maybe once per month. Leaving the headunit turned on when shutting off the car seems to make it happen more often, turning it off before turning off the car seems to keep it from happening. It also seems to happen more often when I have a hard drive plugged in instead of the iPhone which is why I suspected it may be ACM related.

The following users liked this post:
Fairlane500 (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same issue and paid the dealer to fix it after reading and messing with everything I could. Here's what I learned:

1. All the Jag stereo components need to be programmed for your exact car. So you can't just replace the amp, cd changer, head unit etc and expect it to work.

2. The stereo system is in a chain; kind of like the old computer token ring networks. Basically, if one component fails then nothing works. And even if there is an error it disables the entire system.

3. The CD Changers are a common failure item. Jag sells refurb units and will replace, program and install the part for just over $300. It has 1 year warranty.

My premium stereo would work flawlessly but then would have no sound. It has switched back in forth several times where it worked for months and didn't for weeks. I finally gave in and took it to the Jag dealer. The tech spent 2 hrs diagnosing it to discover there were initiation errors from the CD Changer. He could by-pass it and the system would work. They said, I'd need to replace the changer. I said, I'll wait. Diagnosis Cost $240

Strange thing is the stereo has been functioning fine for weeks now after the dealer fixed the error codes. So, I'll keep using it and likely eventually replace the changer if it acts up again.

You should take it in and have the system checked for errors. They will be able to test each component too.

The following 2 users liked this post by 04XJ8:
Fairlane500 (10-28-2011), jahummer (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

A clarification:

When this happened to my car, everything seemed like it should be playing. I could adjust volume, switch modes, etc., all appearing normal except no sound. I think it's starting to come back to me now. Something about when I turned up the volume all the way or close to it, I could BARELY hear audio. That's when I went to the system setup menus and found a setting changing made the difference. I'll try to remember to replicate it in my car later.

Fairlane500 (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same issue when i bought my 04. I could mute, unmute, change station, do NAV controls, turn up and down the volume. But not so much as a peep from the speakers. The AMP in the rear was getting confused, according to Jaguar, they cleared the software and reflashed it, and i havent had a problem with it since. They will also tell u about any other problems they find with your car which helped me troubleshoot and fix my suspension as well.

Fairlane500 (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Adam78
The AMP in the rear was getting confused, according to Jaguar, they cleared the software and reflashed it, and i havent had a problem with it since.
Does anyone know if unhooking the battery and hooking it back up will produce the same result of clearing the software errors? Is there any workaround that I can do that will show the codes? I know there is a process to get the system to show the AC error codes.

Thanks again

Old 10-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 04XJ8

2. The stereo system is in a chain; kind of like the old computer token ring networks. Basically, if one component fails then nothing works. And even if there is an error it disables the entire system.

The tech spent 2 hrs diagnosing it to discover there were initiation errors from the CD Changer. He could by-pass it and the system would work.

You should take it in and have the system checked for errors. They will be able to test each component too.
Makes sense, the ACM is designed to mimic the changer, so I still think it may have to do with the ACM. Frankly I rarely use the changer anymore and would be happy to bypass it. I also rarely use the USB drive, which seemed to cause this problem more often too. I use the iPhone & Pandora/Rhapsody the most.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, my stereo would function normally just no audio.

No, disconnecting the battery, removing the stereo, pulling fuses will not resolve the issue and won't reset the codes.

Unfortunately, it seems like a dealer fix as they have the equipment to read codes, test components and program.

Fairlane500 (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 04XJ8
I assume the Jag dealer needs to do this? - A regular scan tool won't work?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

sometimes it can be easier and cheaper to let the main dealer do a diagnostic check and hopefully find the issue straight away, had a similar thing on mine a few years back and it was the amp, they replaced it and "paired" it to the system, all fine since.