XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Thermostate housing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostate housing replacement

I am replacing the thermostat housing on my XJ8 and have tried using a claw wrench to reach the rear thermostat housing bolts. Having difficulty with that because I'm a little fumble fingered and wonder if I can simply pull the 10 intake manifold bolts and slide it to the rear inch or so to replace the housing and then re-position and tighten the intake manifold since it's dry. I thought I might put paper or cardboard between the sealing surfaces as I slide it to the rear to keep from getting dirt on the intake sealing rings. I have new intake sealing rings but don't know if I can lift it high enough to install new ones without pulling everything apart. Any comments?

Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

The usual solution is a crowsfoot wrench. Is that the same as a claw wrench?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is the same. Heard it called both depending on where you are from. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but I'm worried about stripping the thread when I reinsert the bolt because if the lack of room and misalignment. Would like to have a game plan before I start. Thought if I couldn't get it started I might move the manifold. Wondered if anybody has slid it back for clearance and knows if it will reseal with the old seals since it is dry and has no coolant to worry about. lf not is there room to put new seals in the intake manifold buy just lifting it or do you have to pull everything off of it to remove and replace the seals.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't know if you did this job yet, but if not here's what I did.
Having disconnected the various hoses and electrical connections needed to gain access to retaining bolts, I removed the 2 bolts nearest to front of car, leaving the rear one in place. Stuff a fair sized rag down the thermostat housing so that its just clear of the bottom of the housing. I then got hold of the plastic housing, and physically yanked it upwards, causing it to snap near the last bolt. Don't panic, it's plastic and WILL break. Any small piece of plastic that breaks off will be held by the cloth you previously inserted. This gives you easy access to reach the last bolt with an open ended spanner and remove it. (Don't forget to remove the cloth)
When replacing the bolts, use one of the three bolts from the actual thermostat cover to insert into the rear bolt position. The 3 bolts on that cover are the same size and thread as those holding the housing on, but are slightly shorter, and will enable you to insert one into that rear bolthole. I then bent the open ended spanner I had used previously about 1 inch from the end, to tighten the back bolt down. A kind of home made crowsfoot. Worked a treat for me.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

The manifold is sealed with channel captured seals and in many cases they can be reused, however you stand the chance of a leak if they do not seal properly. I should also mention that you also have 2 bolts under the throttle body that may need to be loosened or removed to give you access to the 2 bolts on the thermostat housing. I hope this helps.