XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

[Help] How to verify if it is XJL or XJ and HP

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-04-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyt87
​​​​​​Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind sharing, may I know what made u decided to let the car off ? Was it due to maintenance cost ? Continuous issues etc ? Can you share some experience ? $5000 is for the entire car or just the body frame ?
As you may knew, in Singapore, we need COE (Certificate of Entittlement) to own a car for Amaximum 10 years. My car is coming to 10 years in Sept 2020. I can continue to own it by renew the COE ($35K) today or sell the car away. It is not worth to own it for another 10 years due to high roadtax for car with 5000cc and beyond 10 years.

The wear and tear issue also starting to kicking in and this car is not cheap to maintain in Singapore. The parts and labour cost is too much here if compare to other make like BMW or Merc.

The $5K is for the body only. In Singapore we can get back the rebate for the tax we paid for car within 10 years so I can get back around 60K for the so call paper value for the car and 5K for the body. The dealer can choose to scrap the car or export it to other country after buying my car.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:39 PM

​​​​​​Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind sharing, may I know what made u decided to let the car off ? Was it due to maintenance cost ? Continuous issues etc ? Can you share some experience ? $5000 is for the entire car or just the body frame ?
Car approaching 10 years - We need to renew COE (35K) and pay extra loading to the roadtax for car beyond 10 years. For 5L car, the roadtax is very expensive after 10 years.
Maintainance - Maintainance is quite high here in Singapore in term of parts and labours and brand (Jaguar) compare to other make like BMW and Merc. May need to spend 20K for engine and transimission if wanted to drive the car for another few years.
We can take back the tax rebate for the car within 10 years. 5K is only for the body offer by the dealer to scrap or export.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:38 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

​​​​​- Wheels don't really look suitable with the car. Stock looks better
I don't really care for the rims on there either. I don't really like the OEM rims either though. I am looking at changing my rims to black and gray colored aftermarket rims. The OEM brake pads put out a LOT of brake dust, which is very visible on the light gray colored OEM rims. I am guessing that was a huge factor in the previous owner putting those black rims on there.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi All, Im looking into getting my very first Jaguar and I am eyeing a used XJL. However due to the numerous engine options, may I know how can I verify if its the 385HP, 470HP or the 510HP version ? VIN: SAJAC28R4CMV38418
Also is this the XJ L version ?

https://imgur.com/a/55s09Vs

Thanks in Advance !
God that is a beautiful car. Love those rims!

Old 03-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Dealer is asking for USD $33k. What do you guys think ? What else should I be checking ? What would be a fair price ?

The dealer mentioned that he could give a discount if I would settle everything on my own.

I was shopping around for something similar last year, when I bought mine and I can tell you $33k is a bit much (if you're in the US - in other countries this might actually be a great deal for a SuperSport), especially with some of the defects you mentioned and the age of the car. I personally feel it's more in the $28k range. Have you checked the NADA value? NADA Guide
Again this is my personal opinion and others on this forum might disagree.

Last edited by Nightshadow; 03-09-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:24 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightshadow
I was shopping around for something similar last year, when I bought mine and I can tell you $33k is a bit much (if you're in the US - in other countries this might actually be a great deal for a SuperSport), especially with some of the defects you mentioned and the age of the car. I personally feel it's more in the $28k range. Have you checked the NADA value? NADA Guide
Again this is my personal opinion and others on this forum might disagree.
I believe he is in Malaysia. So NADA, Kelly Blue Book, Edmonds, etc., won't be very useful in determining the car's value in the country he is in. I have lived outside the USA since 2007, and have experienced both sides of the coin in the four countries I have lived. Where I am currently living, used cars are generally a little cheaper than they would be in the USA. Especially for the luxury/sport cars. I find that to be the case in the middle east in general. In other places I have lived, they have been more expensive. In the Philippines, because of high taxes, import duties, fees, you can look on paying as much as 3 times what the same used car would cost in the states. And don't even think about importing one, because you will end up paying in duties, taxes, and fees, as much(probably more) than you paid for the car. Although not as bad as the Philippines, I remember Taiwan being more expensive as well.

The lack of a nationwide equivalent to KBB, NADA, etc., makes it more difficult to both buy or sell a car, when you are from the USA, and are used to being able to go online, put in the year, specs, etc., and determine what the value of the car is. When I put a car up for sell in the Philippines, I went to a major website with many cars for sale. I found around 35 cars the same as mine for sale, put it into an Excel spreadsheet, and had it calculate the average and mean asking price. Still, most people offered less than what I was asking. The problem is that people ask for more than they actually expect to get. I knew that, and thought going with the median asking price would be good, but I guess I was wrong.

Another problem, is that people put for sale signs on their cars, but don't put the price. Heck, even at used car dealerships, most don't put prices on the cars. That applies to both here and in the Philippines. Makes car shopping a real pain in the ***.

Last edited by sgtm7; 03-10-2020 at 01:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sgtm7:
Ken Dreger (06-14-2021), Nightshadow (03-10-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 09:14 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

In addition to the things you’ve already checked, on any used car I would recommend plugging in an OBD scanner tool and make sure there are no hidden codes. Check that the codes weren’t recently cleared. And check that it is smog ready (readiness monitors active).

Best of luck

Old 03-22-2020, 03:55 AM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Also is this the XJ L version ?..........if it takes a football field for you to turn a circle, then it's a XJL. Tongue in cheek remark.

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)