XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

'13 XJL: Daytime Running Lights vs. Signature Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dustincarter,

Why don't you just visit your local Jaguar dealer to have the LED light software turned on? No need to drive back to the place you bought it from.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jonny -

I tried to do that. They advised they were able to turn on the daytime running lights, but NOT the LED lights. There is a difference on the '13 XJ's. Supposedly, there is no way to just have the LED lights on upon starting the car. They only come on when the headlights come on.

Do you have evidence to suggest otherwise?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

as i mentioned in a previous post.....there is no way to have the signature lights on all the time. It will require some re-wiring (dealer wont do this)

Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dustincarter
Jonny -

I tried to do that. They advised they were able to turn on the daytime running lights, but NOT the LED lights. There is a difference on the '13 XJ's. Supposedly, there is no way to just have the LED lights on upon starting the car. They only come on when the headlights come on.

Do you have evidence to suggest otherwise?
If you want to just have the LED "Signature" lights on when driving, you need to put the light switch on the parking light setting. The issue is that they will stay on once you turn off the car and need to manualy turn them off each time. The XJ LED "signature" lights are not bright enough to be considered as daytime running lights . That is why the headlights turn on when programmed for daytime running lights, where as the XF and XK have the newer style "J Blade" signature lights that are bright enough to be daytime running lights.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I saw an XJ today (was from a distance, so I could not tell the year or specific sub type other than it was current generation) that had only the LED signature lights illuminated - no parking lights of any kind. They were fairly dim as compared to an XK or XF, but I like the look, and I guess at least one person has done what was needed to have them illuminate without the headlights...

Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 PM

Jonny is right. You can just put the LEDs on by switching the lighting option to the parking feature, however, you always have to turn it back to Auto or Off upon turning off the car. I wish they made the LEDs just a little brighter so they qualified as daytime running lights and thus turn on/off with the car engine.

Thanks for the clarification, Jonny.

D

Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Does that method also activate the taillights?

Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Jonny is right. You can just put the LEDs on by switching the lighting option to the parking feature, however, you always have to turn it back to Auto or Off upon turning off the car. I wish they made the LEDs just a little brighter so they qualified as daytime running lights and thus turn on/off with the car engine.

Thanks for the clarification, Jonny.

D
I agree. I had the dealer turn on the daytime running lights which are basically just the low beam headlights. I would have preferred just the LEDS on.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:11 PM

It appears the LED "parking light" feature does also activate the taillights. I wonder if there is anything that software could do that would make the LED Signature lights brighter, and also activate them as daytime running lights. I know heat is sometimes an issue with the enclosed LED, so there has to be some type of heatsink feature, which I'm not sure if the XJ has, but I'm confused why the engineers setup the LEDs in such a weak manner.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

What I don't get is why did Jaguar not modify the 2014 XJs so that the LED lights are like those of the J-blade XFs? Very weird that they have stuck to the same low-light non-DRL LEDs for four years running, ever since the original 2011 model.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I posted a hack on the signature lights a while ago. I will post a wiring schematic and some pictures soon.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Default Signature lights

So...back to my original question. I see that someone said it was a complicated wiring situation, but does anyone else have any advice/commentary on how to have the Signature LED lights (NOT THE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS) turn on when the car starts up? I can't believe Jaguar treated the XJ differently than the XF in this regard. The LED's on the XF are amazing! The XJ would stand out that much more with them on.

D
I posted a detailed hack for this a while ago. It is fairly simple. And no there is no problems with the LEDs being always on

Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, can someone refer to a topic where explanation what is daytime lights/what is LED lights is given...

My problem is: when i set the lights to Auto during the day I have no lights, it must be dark before they will lit.

I also want to avoid driving during the day on xenon lights - the only option I see is to set them to the second position after 'off' but in this way they will not turn off when I stop the car - which is quite stupid

Also, why are parking sensors activated only after I press the button?
To me when manoevering in small street and makng turns it is very useful to have the parking aid support...

Old 03-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Also what are these parking lights/tail lights? How do I activate them?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 PM

Hey, how long do we wait for this miracle hack about turning the LED lights on?

Old 04-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Here is a copy that gears sent to me

Attached Files
Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Default LED daylight running lights

Guys,
as far as I can see (from Topix and by measuring the wire outputs) the taillights and the LED's are hardwired together. Hence no software update or change can turn on the LED's strip in front without turning on the tail lights.

I posted a very simple hack a while ago. The way I did that is separating the LED's from the tail lights while ignition is on. When ignition is off they are connected just like OEM so that parking light functions work normally.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Default Signature light hack info previously posted

Here is the signature light hack info again:

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
H20boy (05-15-2015)
Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM

To me the LEDs are very weak and even using this clever hint police will give me fines for virtually not using any lights.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ridiculous that Jaguar didn't set this up. Just got my 2013 XJ Supercharged last week and noticed it rather quickly. Otherwise, absolutely love the car and I too get 28+ mpg on the highway. Averaging about 21-22 combined highway and city. Very nice.

Quick Reply: '13 XJL: Daytime Running Lights vs. Signature Lights