XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2010 XJL Bowers & Wilkins soft on volume

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 XJL Bowers & Wilkins soft on volume

Hello all!

A belated happy new year/happy Lunar new year.

For some reason, I'm not too sure what I might've done, the music on my 2010 XJL has gone softer. My car has the B&W sound system option.

As I pair up my iphone to the car to listen to music, previously with the same song which I listen to daily, volume level 35 would've been just right.

Now, the volume has to be at 40 to be as loud as it used to be at 35.

Is there a reason why the sounds are now 5 volume levels below where it used to be and I have to compensate by turning it up 5 volume levels?

I noticed the volume of music sometimes getting louder and softer randomly, without me touching anything.

I've wondered if this is similar to BMW's where the volume increases as the car picks up speed to compensate for wind/road noise.

However a lot of times, my jag changes volume when crawling at a snails pace.

The volume number doesn't change. 35 is 35. Just becomes a tad bit louder or softer on it's own.

Any idea why?

Any feedback for assistance is much much appreciated and great thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
johndahlheimer (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

I have a 2011 XJL with the base sound system, rather than the B&W option, yet experience the same adjustments in sound, some which are obviously programmed, i.e., when backing up, so one can hear the nearby rear obstacle warning signals, but at other times seem random, but may be pre-programmed to vehicle speed to compensate for anticipated increased wind/road noise. The sound may increase or decrease in an attempt to compensate for improperly detected changes in ambient "noise" from external sources, but ends up over or under compensating the volume level due to the frequencies (high or low) of these external "noises". In any case I wouldn't blame it on the Bowers and Wilkins system per se, but perhaps on the basic Jaguar programming of whatever sound system is employed.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I noticed the volume of music sometimes getting louder and softer randomly, without me touching anything.
JLR adopted the Audyssey MultEQ system across the full range of audio systems available for the 2011 XJ. In automotive applications, MultEQ is not speed sensitive, but rather "listens" for road conditions and adjusts frequency equalization and dynamic compression accordingly. Sounds good on paper and in an home-theater application, but on the road this may be a bit too ambitious resulting in the aberrant volume fluctuations you're experiencing.

MultEQ probably works as advertised 90% of the time, but I've learned to live with it for the 10% that it doesn't as the MultEQ system can't be defeated.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for all the responses!

That probably makes abit more sense now with regards to the volume fluctuations.

With regards to the volume going softer, for some reason Everytime I "Bluetooth" for music/phone my iphone5s to my F10 BMW 5 series, and I come back to the Jaguar and "Bluetooth" thereafter, the "Sound Check" function on my iphone is enabled, which means everything sounds softer.

If I remain in the jag only but do not drive the BMW there's no problem. Weird. Haha

Thanks again for all the responses and help