XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 jaguar xj overheated

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 jaguar xj overheated

2011 jaguar xj over heated do to pump going bad. I had only one indication and that was when it over heated. Took it to jaguar shop and they said i have low compression and a piston compression ring was bad after only having 66 thousand miles.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

So you never got a notification that the coolant was low?

Old 02-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

When my water pump went my Coolant Warning was going crazy, let me know every 10 minutes before I could actually get it to a shop. Oddly enough the temp of the engine never went up.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

The coolant temp only works when the sensor is immersed in liquid so you would never see an overheat issue for coolant as it cannot register in steam. In a word if it says low coolant check it right away and fill it up and if it goes again on the way to the shop add water. I seriously doubt that if only a compression ring relaxed due to excessive heat that the heads would not have been warped before that would happen. IMHO I would seek a second inspection, unless you have great confidence in your shop and ask them to save the old parts for you inspection

Last edited by XJsss; 02-21-2016 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SovietKitsch (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by XJsss
The coolant temp only works when the sensor is immersed in liquid so you would never see an overheat issue for coolant as it cannot register in steam. In a word if it says low coolant check it right away and fill it up and if it goes again on the way to the shop add water. I seriously doubt that if only a compression ring relaxed due to excessive heat that the heads would not have been warped before that would happen. IMHO I would seek a second inspection, unless you have great confidence in your shop and ask them to save the old parts for you inspection
I bought my car in Florida and was planning on driving it back to NY. The day after I bought it (As advertised as a CPO but later found out it wasn't...) I started to get Low Coolant warnings on the road. I let some time elapse before pulling off and refilling with coolant, and 30 minutes after that I got a Coolant low warning and immediately left the highway and parked the car to be towed the next day. No overheating warnings ever showed up. It's been in the shop twice now and no one has said anything bad about the engine, should I have someone take a good look at it?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Just trying to understand the sequence of events. Have you ever seen a Carfax on the XJ? Is the XJ at a reputable Jaguar Dealer? In my experience overheating has resulted in head and head gasket failures and also possible other gasket failures. IMHO the XJ had a bad waterpump when you purchased it and I would be looking to the selling dealer to make all repairs. If a cylinder has low compression, I would be asking for a long block replacement (includes all the block internal running parts pistons, crank shaft, etc.. I had a water pump and water valley tube failure 90 miles from home. My low coolant light would come on after 45 minutes driving and I would either stop emediatly and add water of just get off on an exit 35 to 40 minute intrervals ad fill with water and was able to avoid further damage. The XJ v8 water pump has gone through at least 3 revisions due to premature seal failure. sorry to run on but I highly advise you check the Carfax and get the dealer who sold you the XJ under false pretenses to pay for everything. Lastly if you feel you cannot find a really good dealer close by I recommend my dealer Hennessy Jaguar North ( http://www.jaguarnorthpoint.com/ ) and ask for Pete Alvarez in service and ask to have Kieth or Matt assigned to the car. Good luck as when your repairs are completed you will love the car for a long time.

Last edited by XJsss; 02-22-2016 at 08:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SovietKitsch (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Just trying to understand the sequence of events. Have you ever seen a Carfax on the XJ? Is the XJ at a reputable Jaguar Dealer? In my experience overheating has resulted in head and head gasket failures and also possible other gasket failures. IMHO the XJ had a bad waterpump when you purchased it and I would be looking to the selling dealer to make all repairs. If a cylinder has low compression, I would be asking for a long block replacement (includes all the block internal running parts pistons, crank shaft, etc.. I had a water pump and water valley tube failure 90 miles from home. My low coolant light would come on after 45 minutes driving and I would either stop emediatly and add water of just get off on an exit 35 to 40 minute intrervals ad fill with water and was able to avoid further damage. The XJ v8 water pump has gone through at least 3 revisions due to premature seal failure. sorry to run on but I highly advise you check the Carfax and get the dealer who sold you the XJ under false pretenses to pay for everything. Lastly if you feel you cannot find a really good dealer close by I recommend my dealer Hennessy Jaguar North ( Jaguar North Point | New Jaguar dealership in Alpharetta, GA 30009 ) and ask for Pete Alvarez in service and ask to have Kieth or Matt assigned to the car. Good luck as when your repairs are completed you will love the car for a long time.
Sorry to Maurio Smith for hi-jacking his thread, although it may help if he has something similar to mine.

I bought the car with a clean Carfax, two owners.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwI...ew?usp=sharing

There was no services recorded on the CarFax, only the yearly registration and mileage updates. It was sold to me as a CPO from Alpine Jaguar in Fort Lauderdale, FL (If naming names isn't okay here someone let me know and I'll edit) It has a good name and I've been told is the place to buy a Jag in FL.

I was driving it from Palm Beach, FL and around Georgia the low coolant notification was on. I clear the warning and drive a little further until we can pull off and top the coolant off.

Once the car is cooled down enough I fill it back up. 30 minutes down the road the Coolant Warning comes back on again, so I I pulled off as we were right near an exit, parked it and the engine was smoking due to the coolant being sprayed all over it.

The next morning they towed the car to Hilton Head, SC to Hilton Head Jaguar where I received the most amazing care. They changed the water pump and a coolant pipe and I was told that this had to have been an ongoing issue as under the car was caked with coolant. They cleaned it off, checked the engine, and I was back on my way. This was done as a goodwill repair because my CPO wasn't "showing" yet. I did specifically ask for them to take a look at the head gasket because going into the dealership that seemed to me to be the most likely cause of all my issues, having just done a head gasket on an older car of mine. They did report that everything seemed fine.
2011 jaguar xj overheated-wxyr0fw.jpg

The next 950 miles, which were all done in one day...were fine.

When I got it back to NYC, the car had a few minor and moderate issues that I wanted fixed as well. The speaker was blown out, sunroof was whistling due to a bad screen/gasket, and the drivers side window was getting stuck, so I brought it to Jaguar Manhattan. I also told them about the water pump/coolant issue and I wanted everything thoroughly checked. I was once again told nothing was wrong, although once I got my car back my tire mysteriously grew a bubble the next day, they bashed the front end off a curb, and broke the laminate on the wood panel when replacing the speaker/window arm, plus a bunch of little chips all across the car that weren't there when I got the car, so it's back in the shop again. If anyone has any good Jaguar places in Manhattan/Long Island/NYC area, please let me know.

Once I did get it to Jaguar Manhattan, I was told the car did not carry the CPO warranty until what would have been November, so all repairs have been paid for out of pocket by Alpine Jaguar, and they offered me an extended EasyCare TotalCare 3 year/36k mile warranty and $500 off in addition to the $1500-$3000 worth of repairs already done to the vehicle. They been very communicative about the whole thing and I don't believe this is par for the course for them, as they're more than likely taking a heavy loss after everything done and paying out for the warranty.

Last edited by SovietKitsch; 02-22-2016 at 09:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SovietKitsch:
dmchao (11-05-2018), Ken Dreger (09-03-2021)
Old 02-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

So let me see if i have it correct Mario has not responded to the thread about his history and SovietKitch had the misfortune of an overheat and warranty repair issue. So SovietKitch has no engine block/piston issue. Therefore, Mario what was your story that brought about being diagnosed with bad compression in one piston?