XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ 5.0 SC Misfire, Restricted Performance, and Blinking CEL light

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 09:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2011 XJ 5.0 SC Misfire, Restricted Performance, and Blinking CEL light

I have a 2011 Jaguar XJ 5.0 Supercharged. Recently installed new spark plugs and walnut blasted the intake. Also installed a new Mina Gallery intake tube with factory boxes and KN filters. Car was running great until I did a hard pull after getting it washed, then car went into "restricted performance" mode, check engine light blinking, and rough idle. Pulled over, opened the hood, and notice the new intake tube had detached at the throttle body. Reattached as best I could, Brought it back to my garage a mile away and trying to diagnose ever sense. Engine (PCM) is throwing the following codes using older Foxwell NT510 with JLR specific software:

P0332 Knock Vibration Sensor B Circuit Low
P032C Knock Vibration Sensor C Circuit Low
P033C Knock Vibration Sensor D Circuit Low
P0327 Knock Vibration Sensor A Circuit Low
P0657 Actuator Supply Voltage
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0308 Cylinder 8 misfire
P0307 Cylinder 7misfire
P0300 Random Multiple Cylinder misfire
P0216 Engine misfire detected on startup

I have done the following trouble shooting:

- Reinstalled factory intake tube and ensured all connection are tight
- Rotated coil packs on left (drivers side) bank --swapped 5&6 with 7&8
-Cleaned coils and coil connectors with contact cleaner
-Cleared codes

The rough idle issue persist and restricted performance / blinking CEL persists along with all the codes, except P0307 Cylinder 7 misfire.

Also, getting a sulfur/gas smell and oil reservoir has a fuel smell.

My initial thought was that PCM went haywire when tube detached and fueling couldn't keep up with massive amount of air intake that caused it to run lean. But now that the air intake tube issue is fixed, the car doesn't want to seam to return air/fueling process to normal.

I have a more sophisticated code reader on order to arrive in a couple of day, but thought I would post to see if there is any advise. I found a post with similar issues on an XKR but OP never mentioned a resolution.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

Old 04-15-2024, 10:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,928 Likes on 3,224 Posts

From what you are describing, it sounds like something got into the fuel system and it is fowled 3 of your injectors. This is causing the rich condition and all the codes. I had a similar problem, but I was also getting low fuel pressure codes too.

If you are sure it is a spark issue, then I would be looking at the cabling running to all the coils.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thermo
From what you are describing, it sounds like something got into the fuel system and it is fowled 3 of your injectors. This is causing the rich condition and all the codes. I had a similar problem, but I was also getting low fuel pressure codes too.

If you are sure it is a spark issue, then I would be looking at the cabling running to all the coils.
thanks, Thermo. Yes, I’m beginning to think it’s an injector issue. Any chance you know the procedure for testing testing coil cabling/connectors?

I noticed they are three-pin connectors, but haven’t dug into shop manual to figure out what each do or what voltages should be.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,928 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Unfortunately, I am on travel at the moment and do not have my normal computer wiht me with all my references. So, I am not sure what the testing method would be. Hopefully someone can come along and give you that.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Received 2,678 Likes on 1,838 Posts

@djmccoy77, prior to performing any diagnostic work, check the condition of the battery using a voltmeter. With the ignition in the OFF position for at least 30 minutes, check the available voltage across the battery terminals. There should be a minimum of 12.6 volts showing on the voltmeter, if not, charge the battery for five hours at 2 to 5 amps and retest. Many random DTCs are caused by low available voltage. If the retest indicates available voltage is still below 12.6 volts, the battery should be replaced.

Based on your description, it seems you have one or more failed injectors, which is quite common as the vehicles age. Do not operate the vehicle under conditions that cause the MIL to flash as catalyst damage is occurring.

If rotating the positions of the coil units did not change the misfire locations, the next place to look is the fuel injectors. If the injectors are sticking, the engine oil may become contaminated with fuel.