XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Deferred Technology

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is aggravating, not the way to start out with a brand new car. they should've done more testing.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
My car has been at the dealer since Wednesday at 7:00 am for the roof knocking problem. The evening before I took it in, my audio, phone, and nav systems stopped working when I made a gas stop--they did not come back on when I restarted the car. The audio system icon on the touch screen was grayed out, the phone system icon didn't do anything and would not bluetooth connect to my phone, and when I hit the nav system icon it said "initiallizing" and never changed. Later that evening I started the car again and everything worked. I mentioned this to the service advisor when I took the car in and he said this was a known problem that they had a software download fix for and also said something about replacing a fuse first. I had hoped to get my car back yesterday or today, but it won't be until Monday or Tuesday because Jaguar wants the dealer to heavily document everything since the car model is so new per my service advisor. Still not sure why this will take 4 to 5 days and am not real happy about it, but they did put me in a new XF as a loaner so I can't complain too much. I hope that every time I have to take the car in for something minor they don't have to keep it a week--that reminds me of the kind of service I got on the Maserati QP I traded in!

By the way, I'm pretty impressed with the XF--it is very well appointed with nice fit and finish, good performance, and a giant leap forward from the X Type I had for a loaner several years ago in my opinion.
did they fix it?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:10 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm dismayed at all these posts, to see so many have the SAME problems I have had, though mine seem to be the worse.1) First, they did not tell me the voice control would not be functional, until after I did the deal and was preparing to drive off, then they made me sign a paper before they'd let me take the car. Didn't think much of it, but it is a big deal, because the NAV system is not easy to work by hand.2) That notwithstanding, the NAV system completely locked up and would not work. Dealer fixed, and is not working again. When it does work, it is very slow to recognize input.3) Entire radio/sound system stopped working. Dealer was able to fix, for now.4) Power window will not stay closed. Will open up on its own. You need to close it 5 times before it stays. Dealer fixed, but problem is happening again.5) Loud knocking sound in the interior of car when you go over bumps, at any speed, and especially when turning the vehicle.6) Huge problem with stuttering engine, as if it’s about to stall. Mine is a SC version, and has the same engine as the XK/KF, which was subject to a safety recall. The NHSTA website says it can lead to a crash. I don’t know if it’s the same issue, but it sounds the same as the one described in the recall…basically a stuttering engine (as if it wants to stall). 7) Fancy digital speedometer, blanks out for 15 seconds at a time without warning.8) This is more a design issue, that you don’t know until you use the car day to day, but the touch screen is near impossible to see in certain day light conditions.9) I could go on, but the above are the more serious matters.And these cars were delayed a long time, ostensibly so they would be delivered with no problems. I am the younger buyer Jaguar covets to replace the Old XJ buyers (who are dying off). I gave them a chance, but they have failed me it seems. Very unfortunate.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
pwl

BTW, I am far too busy to be dealing with a $90,000+ car that has all these problems. I now have a better appreciation for the Mercedes I stepped out of for this, and at least they would bring a Benz loaner to my office and pick up my car for service. Jag, I have to there, and they gave me a Hyundai. I'm not joking. And the Hyundai gave me no troubles. Go figure.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear of all the problems!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamp
did they fix it?
No--it's actually worse than when I took it in even though they kept it for a week (they did give me an XF loaner). They pulled the headliner and tightened some bolts and said they took it for a test drive and could not hear the popping, but it is not fixed. AND they put a scratch on my hood that I'm sure I will have to fight about. I have to take it back in and go for a test ride with the tech as soon as I get some time. Very annoying.

I have had no further problems with the electronics since the one time my audio/nav/phone system stopping working the day before I took the car in, but everything came back on a couple of hours later. The dealer said they did some sort of download upgrade that is supposed to keep this from happening again--we'll see.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
No--it's actually worse than when I took it in even though they kept it for a week (they did give me an XF loaner). They pulled the headliner and tightened some bolts and said they took it for a test drive and could not hear the popping, but it is not fixed. AND they put a scratch on my hood that I'm sure I will have to fight about. I have to take it back in and go for a test ride with the tech as soon as I get some time. Very annoying.

I have had no further problems with the electronics since the one time my audio/nav/phone system stopping working the day before I took the car in, but everything came back on a couple of hours later. The dealer said they did some sort of download upgrade that is supposed to keep this from happening again--we'll see.
Im taking mine in on tue they said they know about it around 4 or more cars have it too. Jaguar told the to keep the car for 2 days to inspect. He said it may be a recall. I will let you know. sorry to hear about your scratch.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow i guess I must have got somethin going with my first post of the roof popping problem. Since my "fix" I haven't heard any noise from the roof. My prediction is however not positive. Here's why, The popping sound started during conditions in which there was torquing of the car body such as when there was a bump or slight incline over which the car traverses at an angle. This makes me think the car chassis is not very stiff and the roof design(which includes a lot of glass) is not handling the torque loads placed on it. Consider that most reports during fixes refer to tightening bolts that have backed out. However and much more serious are the reports of bolts being sheared off! My point is, this does not sound like a "tweaking" problem. Instead it sounds like full scale roof structural design issue and therefore a more involved fix than periodic tightening of a couple of bolts. As with every opinion, this is mine and i take ownership , and I could be wrong. In fact I hope I am !

Old 09-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Celestial, I fear the same thing. On flat pavement I don't hear any noises, but when the car torques, I still hear the pop even post fix. I am also worried about the long term implications of this, even though I love the car for everything else it offers.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:14 PM

The glass roof is a dumb idea any way. The sunroof is enough glass. If they sold it with a glassless roof I'd have bought that instead.
I knew the electric shades would be a problem the 1st time I used it.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:52 PM

It does appear to me to be a flexing problem and not a loose bolt problem, which would explain bolts shearing off and why tightening bolts does not appear to fix the problem. It is definitely a "pop", not a loose bolt "rattle", like a bolt that is torquing.

The panarama glass roof in my wife's Mercedes is flawless.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 AM

maybe Jag needs ask Mercedes how to do it !!??? ....

Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 PM

Another thing I have noticed is that the "popping" noise is worse when the weather is warmer. This would make sense because the metal expansion in the heat would tighten up the bolts even more and I believe it is the movement (flexing) of the roof under these bolts that is making the noise. I definitely think the dealer's tightening the bolts more made it worse. Maybe they need to install some fiber washers or something to get rid of the metal-to-metal contact, but it would have to be a permanent fix--can't use felt or some other flimsey material that would wear through over time.

Obviously, just guessing. I'm certainly no expert.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Celestial
maybe Jag needs ask Mercedes how to do it !!??? ....
maybe you need to trade in your Jag for a new S class!!??? ;D

Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JagMaster
maybe you need to trade in your Jag for a new S class!!??? ;D
Actually I'm still very impressed with the car overall. It is just unfortunate that Jaguar is having difficulty getting to the bottom of the roof popping noise because it is quite annoying and not something I (and others obviously) can just ignore. I don't think I've ever owned a car that didn't develop some squeaks and rattles that the dealer could never address to my total satisfaction--some people can just turn up the radio and be satisfied.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:05 PM

I too have an overall positive experience with this flawed but nevertheless magnificent vehicle . I have not heard any roof popping nor experienced any more software related problems over the past 400 miles of use since the last service visit. I haven't met the perfect man made anything and that is the context that i try to form all my critiques and judgements in. This past driving weekend was nothing short of marvelous and I wouldn't trade it for anything ....

Old 09-09-2010, 04:20 PM

I took my car by the dealer today and went for a test drive with the tech that is supposedly their 2011 XJ guru. Sure enough, the popping sound occurred frequently (I can always make it happen when sharply turning onto an up or down incline). The tech is going to discuss this further with Jaguar and let me know when to bring the car back in for repairs--he thinks that the entire roof "cassette" might need to be replaced. I told him no more experimenting with my car--get a fix from Jaguar first. He says that mine is the only one that has come in with this problem and they have sold quite a few.

Celestial--they had a Neiman Marcus edition on the showroom floor. That is an absolutely stunning color! At first I thought it was dark blue metallic up close, but it got more black as I stepped away from it.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM

I spoke to my dealer today re: popping and he confirmed 100% that Jaguar is aware of this issue, understands that this is not isolated to 1 or 2 automobiles and are actively working on a resolution. I'm taking a level headed approach to this...I know it's a pain and believe me it sucks on a $90k car, but I still love the car...I still love my carbon fiber and alcantara headliner, B&W sound system, massaging seats...and on and on. I'm just going to work it our with my dealer and keep them honest by checking back here frequently. I had an 08 911 Carrera Cab before this and I had to work the issues out of that 3rd year model car also.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
pwl

I'm supposed to pick my up mine by COB tomorrow (will be 4 full days at the dealer). They say they fixed the poppping and "believe" it was caused by "shifting glass". Wow, shifting glass? What does that mean?? Doesn't sound good, but I will ask when I see them. And while some of you say Jag is well aware of this issue now, they have not returned my queries on this asking for an explanation. It did require removing the headliner (so hunter, there goes your coveted alcantara headliner, hopefully the reinstallation doesn't effect the integrity).

Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM

My headliner has been removed once already with no issues.

Quick Reply: 2011 XJ Deferred Technology