XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Deferred Technology

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonXJL
I didn't have to sign anything when I bought the car - but my salesman did tell me there were some things that were in development and would be corrected in a software upgrade. I spoke to dealer today and they have pieces of the upgrade but not the full upgrade.

I am having trouble with the Ipod/Bluetooth/sound system cutting out and not coming back on without a hard reset (unhook the battery). The car has also stalled 3 times, which I am told is due to the same software upgrade requirement.

Has anyone else had these types of problems? LOVE the car - this is my first Jag...a convert from the UBER boring Lexus.
Tese are some of the same problems that i had and the update has resolved those for me - contact your dealer and get on their schedule if you haven't done so already

Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi UKBUSINESS,

In addition to the voice recognition, is there are added functionality given to the navigation pad on the right side of the steering wheel. Currently all it does is bring up the menu of various car setup options in the right dial of the instruments. Any ability to scroll through iPod songs or anything?

Thanks

Nigel

Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ngregson
Hi UKBUSINESS,

In addition to the voice recognition, is there are added functionality given to the navigation pad on the right side of the steering wheel. Currently all it does is bring up the menu of various car setup options in the right dial of the instruments. Any ability to scroll through iPod songs or anything?

Thanks

Nigel
No. All the functions for the NAV and audio is done through the voice command. You can voicetag many functions and they seem to work quite well. It is NOT the Ford Flex system but it works and so far I have found only a minor glitch in the nav system which does NOT recognize some commands if you have the system set to the UK English Voice.
The scrolling through iPod can be done with the audio controls on the left side of the steering wheel.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 AM

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by jcamp; 10-18-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by ukbusiness
No. All the functions for the NAV and audio is done through the voice command. You can voicetag many functions and they seem to work quite well. It is NOT the Ford Flex system but it works and so far I have found only a minor glitch in the nav system which does NOT recognize some commands if you have the system set to the UK English Voice.
The scrolling through iPod can be done with the audio controls on the left side of the steering wheel.
I was just advised by my service advisor, after a meeting he had with a Jaguar Area Rep, that the UK Language issue is just that - an issue - the cars in the US, apparently are only programmed for American English and all other language choices are not functional in the US.
This seems, to me, to be one of the most stupid things I have ever heard. My Garmin unit can change to multiple languages and voices and still have functionality and for Jaguar to decide that should not be available in a high-end vehicle just seems very short sighted on their part.
I am certain that somewhere in the halls of Jaguar Computer Programming Labs that there is some programmer who can put in the difficult task on a system that can differentiate between the UK "Address" or "Postcode" and the US "Address" or "Zip Code" - duh!
A British Car should speak and understand the Queen's English!

Last edited by ukbusiness; 10-22-2010 at 04:53 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Yes, the software angle for this car seems to be quite pathetic in my opinion. In the advertising and reviews they tout the sophisticated electronics and user interface but:

1. There is a total lack of clear information ANYWHERE (in the handbook or on the web) about how t his stuff works, which bits have been implemented, by which dates' in which countries...

2. As you say, some of the progamming choices and implementation re software functionality are shoddy or just plain DUMB. Eg. Why are there so many options via voice recognition to specify tracks on CDs etc (which is obsolete music technology) and bugger all to allow you to navigate an iPod Or USB stick (which is current technology). For the iPod you can choose PLAY, OFF, MIX or NO MIX.....give me a break! What about IPOD-BROWSE-ARTIST and stuff like that. This is made all the worse by the fact that to actually navigate your iPod via the touchscreen is a nightmare, with only 4 lines items showing at a time, and a slow and kludgy arrow scroll down ability to browse through them. Also how hard is is to show the current song and artist in the left hand dial of the dash (instead of just Nigel's iPod......duhhhh...I know that)

I have a whole slew of other gripes that I won't go into now, but overall I have to say i am quite disappointed in the software upgrade in terms of the obvious stuff that it DIDN'T fix. I wouldn't mind as much if i felt that these enhancements would come quickly and easily, but I suspect we'll be waiting months for anything new.

I guess I'm spoiled by eg the frequency of updates to my iPad etc, but if Jaguar is aiming for a younger generation of buyers (I am in my mid-40's, so not THAT young), they'd better get their act together. I know that they are a relatively small company but most of the stuff I am ranting about is ALREADY THERE in the system and probably just involves a few minor programming tweaks!!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM

I agree on the iPod issue - at least give me the opportunity to search by name or title - trying to find Rascal Flats when I have to start scrolling from Aaron Neville can be quite time consuming - I guess I will need to pre-plan my music playlist on my iPhone before I start my travel.
Is there an App for that???

Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I was told that Jaguar had software licensing issues between vendors supplying Jaguar with those items. That is why you can't get the rear entertainment until Q4. I custom ordered a Q4 car becasue I really wanted rear entertainment. Last week I was told, yet another delay. Cancelled custom order and bought car from inventory.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Many of you got the car when it just came of the line as a brand new untested model. Those things are almost inherent with such "early adopters".
Things have gotten much better. I took delivery of my car last week of October and at that tie all the software upgrades and pooping sunroof fixes had been known and done by the dealer before letting me have the car. Actually I had to argue as I didn't want to wait and the dealer who just got the car of the truck made me wait until all these bulletins had been implemented.

Jaguar has listeneded to all of you. As a matter of fact my car with a built date of 07/10 was held at the port for Jaguar of North Amercia and had not been released by Jaguar to the dealer UNTIL all these fixes had been out. They did this to protect their quality ratings.

Sorry, many of you had been the testers. Thanks to you Jaguar was able to bring this fixes.

I had one of the first CLS63 in the country. Actually the second one. And there, too, had been a couple of service bulletins which required the car to be left with the dealer. Mercedes did not have the software problems, but on the other hand, the Jaguar system is by far more enhanced and offers many more features.

I hope I am right in my believe that this will be one of the best Jaguars out there. But only time will tell.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear a good note for the XJL. I love mine and look forward to my next excursion in it ....

Old 11-04-2010, 02:38 PM

got the phone call last fri that the nnew software was in and ready to beinstalled had it done yesterday took all day,but the voice system on the phone works great

Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 PM

Just bought another XJ8L today and it had the update done and works awesome. Bought it when I brought my wifes in to get the update done! Expensive update! Love these cars, sexy! Got Cavair, looks almost black at night!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the software update and roof fix done last week and the awful creak/groan is finally gone. It would be nice if there was some documentation on what updates were provided and some instructional information. I've managed to figure out most of it, but am not really sure how the TMC function in nav works. It appears to dynamically reroute but I'm not sure what criteria it uses. I do, however, love the ability to input an address via voice control while driving, or choose from a previous destination.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngregson
Yes, the software angle for this car seems to be quite pathetic in my opinion. In the advertising and reviews they tout the sophisticated electronics and user interface but:

1. There is a total lack of clear information ANYWHERE (in the handbook or on the web) about how t his stuff works, which bits have been implemented, by which dates' in which countries...

2. As you say, some of the progamming choices and implementation re software functionality are shoddy or just plain DUMB. Eg. Why are there so many options via voice recognition to specify tracks on CDs etc (which is obsolete music technology) and bugger all to allow you to navigate an iPod Or USB stick (which is current technology). For the iPod you can choose PLAY, OFF, MIX or NO MIX.....give me a break! What about IPOD-BROWSE-ARTIST and stuff like that. This is made all the worse by the fact that to actually navigate your iPod via the touchscreen is a nightmare, with only 4 lines items showing at a time, and a slow and kludgy arrow scroll down ability to browse through them. Also how hard is is to show the current song and artist in the left hand dial of the dash (instead of just Nigel's iPod......duhhhh...I know that)

I have a whole slew of other gripes that I won't go into now, but overall I have to say i am quite disappointed in the software upgrade in terms of the obvious stuff that it DIDN'T fix. I wouldn't mind as much if i felt that these enhancements would come quickly and easily, but I suspect we'll be waiting months for anything new.

I guess I'm spoiled by eg the frequency of updates to my iPad etc, but if Jaguar is aiming for a younger generation of buyers (I am in my mid-40's, so not THAT young), they'd better get their act together. I know that they are a relatively small company but most of the stuff I am ranting about is ALREADY THERE in the system and probably just involves a few minor programming tweaks!!
Wow, you are so right regarding iPod and other current technology (I am mid-40s too). Hopefully they will listen. We should not have to push all around the Touch Screen while we drive. They need to unleash the power of the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel and update the voice commands for more current formats! I still love my car, it's a blast, I think we will be on a journey though! On a brighter note, I do appreciate being able to access my phonebook via voice. I have over 2000 contacts and this is very helpful. In my old 2008 Mercedes S550, the phone book only went to the letter "k" and I was told that it took up too much space and there nothing I could do.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Default Xj-sc

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
When I ordered the car, I had to sign a document that stated that I was aware that a few features would not work upon delivery until a software upgrade was performed later this year. These features were voice command capability, Ipod integration, and traffic on the nav system. This was no big deal, however, I wonder why Jaguar is having problems figuring these things out--seems to be pretty basic stuff that other manufacturers have sorted out.

Has everyone that has taken delivery on a 2011 XJ been told the same thing?
Hi just found this post & note you have an XJ-SC a great Jaguar may I add
I have been creating the XJ-SC data Base for over 20 years & have the details of all 5013
so must have yours in there if you could supply the 6 or even last 4 digits of the Vin I can find it
Kind Regards
Bleasie
www.jagicr.org

Old 12-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Default Update

Well, the last software update made the system MUCH more responsive and added some minor FM HD change. Yeah the iPod menu is scarse. Could be nicer. May they'll update later. But, after all I bought a CAR not an entertainment system.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 PM

I don't think the iPod issue has been fixed completely. I can play music from the iPod, but I can't select Artists, Albums, Playlists, etc.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the iPod connected thru Bluetooth or the USB? Mine is connected thru the USB and works fine, access to playlists, artist etc.. I haven't tried it thru bluetooth though.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 AM

Mine works fine through USB. And the music player on my Blackberry also works fine via Bluetooth including playlists ect.

Quick Reply: 2011 XJ Deferred Technology