XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ door locks but beeps twice without folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 XJ door locks but beeps twice without folding mirrors

HI! I have a 2011 jaguar XJ supercharge. When using the keyless entry the doors locks but it beeps twice and the mirrors don't fold up. What could be the cause?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Shouldn't beep twice...should only beep once. If it beeps twice and flashes the lights, then usually it indicates that the car is not locking because something is open.

Have you tried using the keyfob and pressing the lock button twice in quick succession?

If you are sure that the car is locking but the mirrors don't fold, then it could be an electrical fault. I have had an issue a long time ago where only one mirror folded and the other didn't. Was some kind of electrical issue which the dealership fixed.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

teelove28, something you can try is sitting in the car and locking the car. If you have the key in your hand, it should fail as it will not let you lock yourself into the car. But, if you look at the right side of the instrument cluster, it should also put up a message about what it doesn't like. I may do the same when you have someone lock the doors with you in the driver's seat. Then you can figure out what the car is seeing as being an issue.

I do know that if you close the door and hit the lock button on the outside of the door too fast, the car will not have registered the door closing and it will do like you are seeing (beeping twice and the mirrors remain out). Along those lines, does the car also beep twice when you hit the door button? This would rule out the keyfob as being a potential source of the problem.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:23 PM
Default It's locks when it beeps twice. I will try the keyfob to see if that works. Thanks

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Shouldn't beep twice...should only beep once. If it beeps twice and flashes the lights, then usually it indicates that the car is not locking because something is open.

Have you tried using the keyfob and pressing the lock button twice in quick succession?

If you are sure that the car is locking but the mirrors don't fold, then it could be an electrical fault. I have had an issue a long time ago where only one mirror folded and the other didn't. Was some kind of electrical issue which the dealership fixed.
I will try the keyfob. It does lock.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

The answer to this question will tell you what the problem is:

Does the double beep occur immediately when you press the lock button, or does it happen after one second?

If immediately then it thinks a door (or the trunk or hood) is open. You can test each door ajar switch in turn by opening the door then closing the latch with your hand to the fully closed (second latch) position, then trying to lock again. It is rare for this to be the issue as you would notice a door ajar warning inside the car when the ignition is on and the doors are shut.

If it happens after one second then the keyless locking module is not receiving a lock confirmation signal from one or more of the door locks. Typically it is because the mechanism inside the driver door lock has worn* and it needs replacing. You usually find the mislocking starts infrequently and gets worse and worse. Sometimes slamming the door and locking multiple times can get it to lock. Parts are around £100 + a couple of hours labour to fit.

* The locks are Volvo parts fitted to many different makes and models since the mid 2000s, and the wear is a common problem with them.

It is easy enough to find which door is mislocking if that is the symptom because you can just walk up to the car and open that door when the others are locked. The alarm will sound. Obviously you cant have the key within range of the door handles so the keyless entry is disabled.

The following users liked this post:
lcmjaguar (09-17-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
The answer to this question will tell you what the problem is:

Does the double beep occur immediately when you press the lock button, or does it happen after one second?

If immediately then it thinks a door (or the trunk or hood) is open. You can test each door ajar switch in turn by opening the door then closing the latch with your hand to the fully closed (second latch) position, then trying to lock again. It is rare for this to be the issue as you would notice a door ajar warning inside the car when the ignition is on and the doors are shut.

If it happens after one second then the keyless locking module is not receiving a lock confirmation signal from one or more of the door locks. Typically it is because the mechanism inside the driver door lock has worn* and it needs replacing. You usually find the mislocking starts infrequently and gets worse and worse. Sometimes slamming the door and locking multiple times can get it to lock. Parts are around £100 + a couple of hours labour to fit.

* The locks are Volvo parts fitted to many different makes and models since the mid 2000s, and the wear is a common problem with them.

It is easy enough to find which door is mislocking if that is the symptom because you can just walk up to the car and open that door when the others are locked. The alarm will sound. Obviously you cant have the key within range of the door handles so the keyless entry is disabled.
Yes, I checked and it's the passenger front door that's not locking. I guess I'll have to take to the dealership as I can't find what sensor it is. Thanks for the information. It was very helpful.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

does the passenger door lock if you press on it manually? does the lock move (even slightly) when you lock the car with the remote?

I had a similar situation with my XFR, turns out the lock was just getting stuck, a little bit of grease solved it

Old 09-17-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
does the passenger door lock if you press on it manually? does the lock move (even slightly) when you lock the car with the remote?

I had a similar situation with my XFR, turns out the lock was just getting stuck, a little bit of grease solved it
Yes, it does. The inside shows its locking. It's the front passenger door looks like the problem. I greased it and it still not working. Looks like I have to replace the lock part that close the door. Any suggestions where to order this part?

Old 09-18-2016, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Are you going to fit yourself, or have a dealer do it?

If you are getting it fitted then have them order it so you can be sure to get the right one as there are a few different variants. I'm not familiar with US-spec cars but I think you don't have dead locks for some regulatory reason. Up to VIN V86786 the RH front door with passive locking, without dead locks, is C2D5637. Available for £90 here, or about $160 US from a quick Google search. It can be described for the X351 or the X250 models because it is a shared part.

Do not buy used unless the donor vehicle is being broken as is will likely have been removed for the same problem you are trying to fix. Avoid any used that are in labeled boxes because they are obviously swaps.