XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Interior Water

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 XJ Interior Water

I bought a 2011 Jaguar XJ Supercharged on 05/06/2011. I bought it with approx. 8200 miles. I drove it from Houston to Dallas on Friday and drove it a little around town on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday evening i noticed a significant amount of water in the back floorboards. Enough water that when you pushed on the floorboard a pool of water would appear. The car had not been in the rain or even driven through a puddle. I took it to the dealership on Monday. They applied several recall updates and claim they investigated the water issue but were unable to find anything. They said it must have been attributed to the detailing performed at the dealership I bought it (B.S.). I picked it up, drove it approx 10 miles and noticed water beading under the dash of the front passenger seat and in the back driver side. The beads were not present when I picked it up. I immediately drove it to another dealership in town and dropped it off. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? The new dealership claim they've never seen it and can't locate anything on the Jaguar technician forum. With the exception of the water issue (very big issue in my opinion), this car is unbelievable. I hope this doesn't become a love hate relationship. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that this would apply but had similar symptoms many years ago on another car that the A/C condensation tube got blocked somehow and all the condensation went straight to the floorboards. Highly doubt this would apply to your car but had to share.

The following users liked this post:
jandj (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks jlindy. That's consistent with what I've heard from others. SUPPOSEDLY the first dealership checked that. I wonder whether they actually checked that or just don't have the experience in knowing the intricacies of the new body style. If the new dealership finds that is the issue, I'll divulge the dealerships involved so others in DFW will know where to go for service.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hey, I have moved your thread off to the proper area .
Congrats on your XJ and have many happy driving

Old 05-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

sounds like a ac drain to me based on what youve said. But, there are issues with water coming in from outside the car at the cross car seals.It is posible that not the interior detailing but the exterior car washing got water inside. But Ide still go to the ac drains because that would be much more relavant to a larger amount of water. This isnt anything that has come out yet, but it doesnt meen it cannot happen. The drains on XK's are a big issue and Jaguar has gone through 3 drain changes to finally fix. Your issue could either be incorrect installation during factory build, or if the dash ac unit was removed for some reason and the drain pinched. or the issue with the rubber drain is that the "duck bill" ends get gummy and stick together with time and ac water begins to back up and come out the hvac box into the car. All they really need to do to properly diag that issue, especially in Dallas is let the ac run, pull the carpets away from the dash and trans tunnel to monitor any water coming down, or minimal or no water coming down under the car as its supposed to.

The following users liked this post:
jandj (05-13-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

i haven't encountered this with the new xj but it is safe to assume that it is similar to the xf "heater box". i have had this happen to 3 or 4 xf's where the a/c drain is blocked by a foam gasket where the drain meets the floor (different that the xk where it has a short tube that goes thru the floor). then the water accumulates in the box and then drains thru the floor vents, thus flooding the carpet and damaging all the modules that are stored under the driver and passengers seat. In the xf it is 5 modules i think. the xj is a few more than that. the fix is to remove the dash and remove the heater box and replace or reposition the foam gasket that goes around the drain where it meets the floor. Easiest way i have found to check this is move both front seat forward and look down the floor vents to see if there is pooling of water.