XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Shaking Engine - Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:15 AM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2011 XJ Shaking Engine - Again

Can someone please aknowledge that I am NOT the only one with a 2011 XJ where the engine noticeably shakes and stutters at idle? They did a software fix for this (so they say they did), it improved only for a few days, then they said it is "normal", that a supercharged engine is desinged to do that, and now it's shaking even more. I'm not talking severe shaking, but just slight to moderate, but definitely noticable...as if it's about to stall for a moment. Happens at stop lights, singns, etc. I am sure I can't be the only XJ with this issue, and is it true this is normal for a supercharged engine?

The following users liked this post:
JaromirJaguar11 (07-23-2018)
Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Its true to a degree, the 5 litres have a noticeably rougher idle, especially cold. I dont know why dealers want to say theres a fix for this. Its not cause its normal. Just leads to customers thinking they continually have an issue then.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine has a very slight roughness when cold, but then smooths out completely when warmed up--never feels like its going to stall and it idles at about 700 RPM whether cold or warm.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what type of motor mounts do the 2011's have? This might be an issue with the motor mounts not handling the additional vibration at idle.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The most significant change on the 2011MY V8 engines I picked up on whilst reading the Jaguar website was the change to direct fuel injection into the cylinder rather than into the inlet manifold, ( essentially the petrol engine now mimics a diesel with this change). Can this be the cause ? Nothing else has changed much.

There is always a learning curve for clever engineers who think up some new "wheeze" to improve the car. Lets face it, they are paid to think up new things. Trouble is the bean-counters eventually tell them "OK guys, it has to go into production, you have had long enough to test it". So one or two minor problems are allowed through; while the engineers work on them. If it didn't work at all, it would not go into production, (at least I hope not !!).

Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The most significant change on the 2011MY V8 engines I picked up on whilst reading the Jaguar website was the change to direct fuel injection into the cylinder rather than into the inlet manifold, ( essentially the petrol engine now mimics a diesel with this change). Can this be the cause ? Nothing else has changed much.

There is always a learning curve for clever engineers who think up some new "wheeze" to improve the car. Lets face it, they are paid to think up new things. Trouble is the bean-counters eventually tell them "OK guys, it has to go into production, you have had long enough to test it". So one or two minor problems are allowed through; while the engineers work on them. If it didn't work at all, it would not go into production, (at least I hope not !!).
the 5.0 is the engine that when direct injection amoung many other changes. Totally redesigned and differant than the 4.2 outgoing V8 that is no longer used. The NA is almost as powerfull as the SC 4.2. Kinda like the 4.0V8 NA was about as powerfull SC4.0 straight 6 it replaced.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
Can someone please aknowledge that I am NOT the only one with a 2011 XJ where the engine noticeably shakes and stutters at idle? They did a software fix for this (so they say they did), it improved only for a few days, then they said it is "normal", that a supercharged engine is desinged to do that, and now it's shaking even more. I'm not talking severe shaking, but just slight to moderate, but definitely noticable...as if it's about to stall for a moment. Happens at stop lights, singns, etc. I am sure I can't be the only XJ with this issue, and is it true this is normal for a supercharged engine?
pwl
do you still have your xj?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have experienced no issues related to idle or a rough idle. There have been times that the idle has varied slightly while I am at a stop light, but my Porsche did the same thing.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:13 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamp
pwl
do you still have your xj?
Ha! I'm back. For the moment. Most issues had gone away (after 15 days and 3 visits to the shop), and I was about to accept an "offer" they made to reimburse me for my pain and suffering, until noxious fumes permeated into the cabin this morning for about 15-20 minutes. I had to drive with the windows down. I am done with forgiveness at this point. I've endured too many problems for too long, and the fumes leaking into the cabin is the last straw (btw, rough idle and vanishing display have never been fixed). There is more than enough people and issues here to start a class action suit against Jaguar.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Not trivializing your issues, but funny how people jump on the "class action" band wagon as a solution. In reality they take years and the pay off or payout is usually minimal...too little too late. I was involved in a class action in my last vehicle and received a $15 check. Who hoo.

YMMV

Have jaguar take your car back as you obviously have gotten a lemon WHICH ALL MANUFACTURERS MAKE and get something else. It can be done and they are obviously at that point if they are offering you some type of settlement. Firm but nice will go a long way, or they can dick you around for a long long long time

Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I noticed a little "stutter" here or there at engine idle speed. Like a miss fire in a cylinder once in a while. It's just a little occassional shake. But I have to say, my old 2003 XK8 does that and so does my Mercedes CLS63.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine stutters at idle too. Most noticeable when the engine is cold.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default shake

Originally Posted by pwl
Brutal is right, I don't know what software update you are talking about, because there isn't one. Also the 4.2 liter engine would do the same in the morning. There is a bullentin for MAF imbalance on the 5.0 XF, where we were putting in new Air Filters. My guess is Jaguar addressed that for 2011 XJ's, or I would hope so because the Bullentin or SSM was for 2010 XF 5.0L

Old 12-04-2010, 03:38 PM

Might be some buyers remorse present here??? Maybe "OH MY GOD, THERE'S FUMES!!!" Hey what's this a recirculation button. What a clever thing that has been invented. Hey can anybody say "Smog Sensor" because you XJ's got one. That will turn the recicrulation on for you if it detects nasty smog. Or you can just take 1 second and push your finger on that button. Listen, I'm not bad mouthing anybody's post. I just work in this business, I have an amazing clientele, I just love making fun of the little things, It helps me get through the day with a smile.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

lol

Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 AM

I'm wondering if the fumes are byproduct of fuel. Like sulfer???? Rotten egg type smell. Which is normal, just switch the gas that you use. Just a guess.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have a new XJ SC that also has a rough idle. Almost seems like it is missing. Going to take to the dealer to check it out. Hope they find something, because this is definitely not "normal" for any kind of precision engine. More noticeable when the engine is still warming up, in gear but foot on the brake at idle, and worse when the AC compressor is turned on.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine has a slight rough idle when cold, but as soon as it warms up it smooths out. If yours still does this after it has warmed up it is not normal--could be the idle is set too low.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Now you can refer to bulletin jtb00241 for this issue. ISSUED OCT 2011. Keep in mind that sc cars do exhibit a slightly rougher idle which is normal. So if you want to put a glass of wine on the hood and expect it to be totally smooth your gonna waist your time and think the issue is never gonna get fixed. Because its normal to a degree. Jus sayn

Last edited by Brutal; 02-10-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Now you can refer to bulletin jtb00241 for this issue. ISSUED OCT 2011. Keep in mind that sc cars do exhibit a slightly rougher idle which is normal. So if you want to put a glass of wine on the hood and expect it to be totally smooth your gonna waist your time and think the issue is never gonna get fixed. Because its normal to a degree. Jus sayn
Our car is in for the second time with a shaking at idle. The car jitters or surges while sitting at a stoplight while in drive and foot on the brake. The first time, they ran some fuel system cleaner thru it. Why would a brand new car have a dirty fuel system. That's what they plan on doing this second time too.
Does anyone know what jtb00241 involves? Is it just fuel cleaner or something more?

Quick Reply: 2011 XJ Shaking Engine - Again