XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Vanishing TFT Display

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 AM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2011 XJ Vanishing TFT Display

Another problem I haven't seen posted yet, that may be unique to me (I must have the worst XJ they made). This one is the vanished TFT display. Where your entire dash disply (speedometer, etc.) just vanish. It will come back usually within 15-20 seconds. It can happen anytime, but mostly happens when exiting a dark parking garage into daylight, going under tunnels/overpasses, etc. It has not happened very often (thankfully), but the first time it happens it will freak you out, and second time and thereafter it just pisses you off.

Spoke to Jaguar NA a few weeks back, they said they had only one other known instance of this happening, so I guess I'm not alone. And it appears another "software update" resolves this, which hopefully will be addressed next week.

Again, no one else is experiencing this?

Old 09-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Just a thought on this one. The display is at full bright when the lights are off. When you are in a garage or an underpass the lights come on. Do you have the brightness turned up for the lights on time. If not it may appear that they go off, but just get real dim.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Try switching off the auto-lights function and see what happens. If it solves the problem you at least have a workround until Jaguar come up with a cure.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM
pwl

Definitely not a display brightness setting issue. Disply brightness is set at highest, and you can see the disply when the lights are on, and you are in a garage...the moment you exit the garage into daylight, the disply slowly starts to vanish. Then will slowly start to reappare about 15 seconds later. Most of the time it happended in situations like this, though once in broad daylight. I've been told the the unit needs to be replaced (which means not taking it out, but replacing with..again, some sort of software component).

I can live with it for the moment as it doesn't happen too often, and hopefully they just fix it for good.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

What is clear is that there is a brightness setting that depends on ambient light levels. In your case it is not working correctly.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 PM
pwl
Unhappy

Perhaps, though I fail to see how any such settings, by design, would cause the entire disply to vanish, so definitively a defect. They told me today it was fixed, but cannot pick up car yet as they need more time to fix other things. Will be 3rd day they've had it this time. Last time was 4 days.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Pwl.
You are what we in the IT industry call an "early adopter", so it is your fortune to be first with the new stuff nobody else has got, but your misfortune to be the first to find out about problems the car developers and testers did not find out about whilst testing, OR they did find out but were ignored as the launch date was set in stone.

I have to say an electronic instrument display always makes me a bit nervous. There was one fitted to a Lagonda in the 70s and this used CRTs !! The original Jaguar XJ40 had something similar. Incidentally, with its leading-edge fault detection and warning system, the early XJ40s were said to be the car that always told you there was something wrong with the car every time you started the engine. Not good for customer relations !!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TFT displays have been in use in the Range Rover for several year models now. I wonder if any of the Range Rover forums have any thoughts. Certainly would be similar given Bodacious Tata's ownership of both companies.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Default Vanishing TFT

I had a similar issue happen today. This was the second such incidence where my entire dash flashed then went completely black. On both occasions, the display blinked then reappeared after about 20 seconds.

Maybe it's just some visual effects to go along with the rattles and pops.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Its definitely a defect and would make sure it gets elevated to Jaguar NA so they can find a solution.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Its definitely a defect and would make sure it gets elevated to Jaguar NA so they can find a solution.
Jaguar doesn't exactly have their head in the sand here. They know about it and are replacing instrument packs that exhibit the condition. I have replaced a couple in the last 60 days. Usually has a fault for a failed inst. cooling fan, but the fan is working fine. Display winks out for a while and then comes back on. Take her to your dealer and let them correct it.

Cheers,

Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I posted of having this issue back in January... along with 100 other issues that are wrong with my vehicle, still, that Jaguar NA knows about and has refused to replace my car. I still have the issue, however, mine will stay off longer than that. What are the last 4-5 #'s in your VIN? Cars pre-2000 vins are plagued with issues unfortunately.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Thumbs up Resolved

Originally Posted by Aaviaation
I had a similar issue happen today. This was the second such incidence where my entire dash flashed then went completely black. On both occasions, the display blinked then reappeared after about 20 seconds.

Maybe it's just some visual effects to go along with the rattles and pops.
I left my Jag with the dealership for 5 days. I'm pleased to say that all issues appear to be resolved. I once again love driving my XJL.