XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJL on Top Gear @ Youtube

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2011 XJL on Top Gear @ Youtube

Jezza Clarkson overnights from Land's End to Lowestoft in a race against the sun, er, earth. Originally filmed for late Summer 2010 Series 15 (according to Wikipedia - how can you doubt?), broadcast in early 2011 Series 16 on BBC2.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7KjJ92dC6U4

Old 03-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks, I will look at it

Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do the Brits call it a supercharged instead of supersport? I never understood that, but every review I've read from a euro car mag or site doesn't distinguish between the supercharged and SS. it's like reviewing an M5 and simply calling it a 5 series.

Not a stellar review, which is very surprising from these guys. Very long piece, and not a mention of all the tech issues. Love top gear, Brit style, but this piece was fairly lame...and I own the car!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

They don't get the 470 hp supercharged version like we do. The only XJ model they get with a supercharged engine is the supersport, so to them, the two terms are interchangeable.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 AM

That certainly explains it, thanks.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by kid delicious
Not a stellar review, which is very surprising from these guys. Very long piece, and not a mention of all the tech issues. Love top gear, Brit style, but this piece was fairly lame...and I own the car!!!
2010 Top Gear Awards: Luxury Car Of The Year - Jaguar XJ
> http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/the...ards?imageNo=9

Top Gear Magazine: Jaguar XJ Series Driven
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jaguar/xj-...ad-test/driven

Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 PM

I've seen them praise it, which is why this was surprising.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I liked the video up until the very end when they bad-mouthed the looks of the car and showed that stupid Bertone design exercise that they thought was better (leave it to the Italians to think they can redesign a Jaguar better than the Brits). This is interesting since every car mag review I have read so far has said that the new design of the car is beautiful (with the possible exception of the somewhat controversial blacked out "C" pillar) and it certainly gets a lot of envious looks.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

loved the vid, never seen it before! The rear end is the only 'cosmetic' dislike that I retain...the 'future' design was very appealing as well...anyone notice the leaper was back?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I liked the video up until the very end when they bad-mouthed the looks of the car and showed that stupid Bertone design exercise that they thought was better (leave it to the Italians to think they can redesign a Jaguar better than the Brits). This is interesting since every car mag review I have read so far has said that the new design of the car is beautiful (with the possible exception of the somewhat controversial blacked out "C" pillar) and it certainly gets a lot of envious looks.
In the past few months I've watched series 1 (2002) through 15 (2010) of Top Gear, about 120 hours. Clarkson's not particularly consistent with his evaluations of basically the same cars, the new XK/XKR in 2006/7 for instance. But all three have been generally upbeat about most recent Jaguars, the grills of X and S being exceptions.

Also, their Top Gear TV commentary sometimes varies from their various print comments. The Bugatti Veyron has appeared several times on Top Gear and I don't recall any criticism. Yet Clarkson in The London Sunday Times commented on its tire roar, ride I think, and a couple of other things.

As the XJ road segment was originally filmed in the summer of 2010 and the studio segment more recently, could the technical quirks of the XJ as reported here have caused restraint in their praise? With regard to Jaguar they also seem to avoid overt nationalism, though that doesn't seem to be a problem with Aston Martin.

Just one look at the presenters' attire (floral shirts untucked, etc.) should cause one to doubt their aesthetic discernment even when we might agree with their comments. The Bertone design has somewhat retro lines and Top Gear was generally critical mid-decade of Jaguar's retro-ish designs, another case of TG inconsistency.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I liked the Bertone design exercise. It would have been a viable option a few years ago with the previous incarnation of the XJ instead of continuing on with the dated design as they did. Kind of reminded me of the ford design a few years ago of the interceptor

Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I loved this episode as I have also been on a Top Gear viewing binge. I was hoping of more of a review but I love their challenges. The Bertone design while cool is a little dated for my taste. I like the current direction they are going. Though the new XK doesnt really agree with me.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Design is an emotional and personal thing. And....it changes....some grow on you, some don't.
At first I didn't like the back. Now I do. And.....a few months ago I would have liked the Bertone look, except that it is leaning on the BMW Grant Tourism (coming soon) and other smaller sport sedand/coupes. BUT ...... the problem is and always will be....how to get headroom, especially rear headroom into a sedan with a design like this?
I know what I am talking about from my Mercedes CLS63. Call it a coupe alright, with rear doors, but it is tight in the back and you can't call it a sedan.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with gears. If I would have seen the Bertone prior to seeing the new model I probably would have liked it more. But now that I have new model is out I totally love the looks. The only issue I had with the looks of the new model is the stupid blacked out C pillars which I promptly had painted. Other than that I have absolutely no issue with the design. My issues lie manly with the tech which I won't get into on this string and a very weak owners support website. The website in general sucks.