XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 - 2013 emergency key

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 - 2013 emergency key

ok.. who here is able to get the emergency key out of their key fob without the use of tools such as a toothpick, jewlers screwdriver, icepick or sledge hammer ?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Yo mate, are you joking or are you serious? If it's the latter, then I'm not sure if the 2012-2013 keys are different from the 2011 ones, but there is a small button on the side of the key which releases the latch and opens up the clamshell of the keyfob. Hope that helps...

Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not sure if the 2012-2013 keys are different from the 2011 ones, but there is a small button on the side of the key which releases the latch and opens up the clamshell of the keyfob
The 2012-2013 Smart Key is the new "miniaturized" key, Jaguar's response to complaints that the 2010-2011 key fob was too large and heavy. Oddly enough, the larger XJ key fob was the result of griping that the XF's key fob was too light, plastic, and not premium enough. Personally, I prefer the styling of the larger key fob; easier access to the emergency key and battery are a plus as well.

Randy, just slide the cap on the side of the new key forward (away from the attachment ring) and it comes right off, exposing the emergency key and battery tray.

The following users liked this post:
LiquidIce (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Smart key

I have a 2012 xjl. I have the large heavy key! I prefer it to the lighter key which comes with the xf loaners I've driven. They feel very cheap. My car was built on 11/11 but it is a 2012 model. So I'm not sure when they switched to lighter key on 2012? I think maybe its only on the 2013 models.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks Diablo for the explanation. Btw, speaking of the emergency key, has anybody had their battery go off on them and have had to use the convoluted way to open the driver door, then the bonnet, and finally the trunk/boot? I'm a computer software guy and even I get shudders just thinking about all that I would have to do if my battery ever dies on me, haha!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Thanks Diablo for the explanation. Btw, speaking of the emergency key, has anybody had their battery go off on them and have had to use the convoluted way to open the driver door, then the bonnet, and finally the trunk/boot? I'm a computer software guy and even I get shudders just thinking about all that I would have to do if my battery ever dies on me, haha!
Yes, I had this happen to me after I only had the car for 2 days so I didn't know the procedure at the time. I had dropped off the car to get the windows tinted and had enabled valet mode also. The tint shop had the doors open all day and ran down the battery in the process, then managed to close the doors while they were locked.

So I had to open the door w/ the emergency key, charge the battery enough via the hood pins to turn the center display on, disable valet mode, open the trunk and *then* charge the battery - all without instructions because my manual was in the trunk! What a PITA that was to figure out

Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

im used to the smaller key that came with the XF....the mechanical key slides right out.

when I got my XJ and tried to slide out the mechanical key, i wasnt aware that the remote opened like a clam shell, i thought it was going to fall apart into pieces

Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by another_geek
Yes, I had this happen to me after I only had the car for 2 days so I didn't know the procedure at the time. I had dropped off the car to get the windows tinted and had enabled valet mode also. The tint shop had the doors open all day and ran down the battery in the process, then managed to close the doors while they were locked.

So I had to open the door w/ the emergency key, charge the battery enough via the hood pins to turn the center display on, disable valet mode, open the trunk and *then* charge the battery - all without instructions because my manual was in the trunk! What a PITA that was to figure out
Geez mate, that sucks, sorry you had to go through that. Thanks for the explanation on what all needs to be done...really silly IMHO that we have to go through that process. And yea, I too get really concerned whenever I take my car in any place other than the dealership. I got my windows tinted and had to nag the guys not to leave the key in the car, and likewise when I had a puncture, I had to go back into the workshop area of the tire place and remind the guy to take the key out of the car lest it drain the battery. Sigh!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Agree. I would have preferred that they add a mechanical key to the trunk so you wouldn't need the hood pins. Seems like it would be a simple change that every other manufacturer seems to have figured out.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's amazing you were able to figure all of that out without the manual. The manual also states that supplying power in that manner may cause a fuse to blow (doesn't say which one); I take it you weren't cursed with that additional complication.

I'm seriously entertaining the idea of jerry-rigging a cable from the Luggage Compartment Emergency Release Handle to the interior of the car just to avoid the headache you went through.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, i wasnt joking!
It wasnt opening the fob that was the problem, it was 'flipping' the little key out.. I was able to do it on the 2nd key, but it looks like the one giving us trouble had the little emergency key in backwards or something because it was near impossible to extract.