XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 Jaguar XJL Portfolio Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,397 Likes on 1,889 Posts

The key FOB and the transponder in the key are two separate systems. The battery runs the FOB and transponder is responsible for starting the car. You can prove this to yourself by removing the battery completely and starting the car using the push button.
So first thing is put a new battery in the FOB/Smart Key. But they also wear out and are not very expensive off of EBay. So you might consider getting a new one.

Do you have 2 keys? Seems like all used cars always come with just one key. Be sure and get that second key BEFORE you have problems. It's much easier to add a key now.

But your problems are pretty minor and should be easy to fix. Keep posting back for more help.

The following users liked this post:
JordanXJL (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by JordanXJL
Fraser Mitchell, thank you for your response! I will stay on top of maintenance, and will keep an eye out for all known/common issues on the XJ's constantly. And that's quite the Drive! England to Germany roundtrip! Glad to hear you never had any worries or issues on these trips, makes me feel rest assured!
My last trip was to a place north of Nuremberg, and driveway back to driveway was around 3000 miles. This included local trips once we got there. We also called in at Aachen on the way back to see the tomb of Charlemagne, the first Holy Roman Emperor, (crowned by Pope Leo III in the year 800.)

JordanXJL (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,318 Likes on 3,464 Posts

... 2) Key fob does not work, I can't lock or unlock the car with my fob but car starts by push start so the battery is not the issue i'd assume. 3) One of the cupholder slide covers came apart as I opened my cup holder. Kind of frustrating as the dealership literally showed me it worked fine during my virtual tour of the car. ...
You have a 2012 XJ, so no doubt your Smartkey fob has had the batteries changed many times. After 9 years, it's likely that the copper prongs in the battery compartment have stretched and are not making good contact with your new CR2032 battery.

Don't try to bend the prongs, as they are fragile and if they break you'll need to buy a new Smartkey and have it programmed to the car.

You can easily fix it with a small piece of aluminum foil. Fold it into a shim and wedge it under the CR2032 battery to make a tighter fit against the prongs.

I, too, used Superglue to repair the sliding doors over my cupholders, but it didn't like how it turned out because ther sections kept coming loose and falling off. When I found that the cupholder assembly was updated with a new, improved design I decided to replace it. Here's how I did it, with detailed instructions and photos.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...olders-208542/

I'm not a car mechanic, and if I can do it, so can you.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
JordanXJL (08-29-2021), roviw (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 06:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Clubairth: As you guessed, I do have one key. I didn't know the FOB and transponder were two separate systems, this makes more sense now. I will get a new one this week, to ensure I don't have problems. I am definitely happy as all these issues are minor, just very inconvenient lol.

Fraser Mitchell: That's awesome! I'd love to visit such destinations. Safe travels on any future trips!

Stuart: Very good information, I plan to get a new Key for backup but if I can get the first working with aluminum foil, then I'll happily be able to say I have two keys! LoL.
I just checked out your thread on the sliding cupholders. Seems quite easy and intuitive. Huge thanks for the response!

Old 08-29-2021, 08:18 PM

Dang...just got home from taking the car out on my third drive. Went 30mi. to go visit my Mom as tomorrow is her birthday. When I started the car to go home, I got a notification "service required" which as I noted before and will again: I expected to have to do maintenance to the car, however it was just "serviced" less than a month ago? As I get home and am on the roads leading up to my home and am backing into my garage the wheel is shaking very noticeably at low speeds in both drive and reverse. Not too sure what this could be as both alignment and brakes are OK...
Clubairth: back to what you were saying previously...I got this from one of the owners who like to let multiple problems pile up until the car is a mess! Big bummer and I am quite disappointed that this dealership would sell me a car in such condition. BUT, I will sort through EVERY one of these issues and get the car to it's fullest potential.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need a Jaguar specific scan tool to clear that message. It was showing up on my 2012 XJL when I purchased it this past Winter. I ordered and use this tool from Amazon.
Amazon Amazon
There are others our there that do more but this one is all I needed for my purposes.

JordanXJL (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 02:32 PM
Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Clubairth: As you guessed, I do have one key.
Shortly after the 2012 model, Jaguar changed the key fob to one much smaller and lighter. That would be the one I'd recommend as a replacement. You can also change only the shell of your existing fob. You might be able to improve the battery contacts at the same time.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2012-a-239831/

JordanXJL (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 05:23 PM

CMCW: Thank you, I'll look into the various OEM scanner tools and see what will best suit my needs

Baltobernie: I miss the key in my 2017 Jag XE very much right now thank you! I did not know I could completely upgrade to the new version, my entire key plan has changed yet again, LoL!

Old 08-31-2021, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

If the car had the oil changed at the dealer he should have reset the service reminder. Can you call him to do that?
It's a bit annoying to have the service indicator coming on at every start. Usually it has a mileage associated with it that counts down as you drive.

Good advice about the scanner and I have a very cheap one that surprisingly does it as well. Autel HT200 about $60 but is getting old so may not be around anymore?
The smaller FOB is worth getting too.

JordanXJL (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:58 PM

I cannot sadly, as they're located multiple states away from me. But, I do have a multi point inspection scheduled with jaguar and will have them reset it for me then. I'm gonna have them strip the car apart and check it all out thoroughly. After this, I'll tend to issues (if any) and all my preventative maintenance I have on my list.

I own a Lenovo OBD1&2 that I think may do the trick (it works on all other foreigns I've hooked up to. Will be grabbing this from my buddies house this week to run my own scans as well. I have a smaller key FOB on the way now, I dislike the older version and mine is quite corroded anyways. It's also missing the physical small key as well.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Autel AP200 worked on my 2015 to reset the service light, and is in current production. $62 at Amazon right now.

JordanXJL (09-02-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 09:42 PM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

As I get home and am on the roads leading up to my home and am backing into my garage the wheel is shaking very noticeably at low speeds in both drive and reverse.
Lug nuts could be loose or all 4 wheels in need of re-balancing.

JordanXJL (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Good find Mark SF!
I wonder of the AP200 is a replacement for the older HT200?

JordanXJL (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

As an experienced 2010 XJ owner, I would personally recommend skipping all the maintenance on your 2012, sell it, and buy a 2016 or newer. There are too many parts that were updated from 2012 that make it much more reliable and replacing them all on a 2012 would take lots of time and money (I know because I’ve done it on my 2010). Just my 2 cents.

JordanXJL (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
As an experienced 2010 XJ owner, I would personally recommend skipping all the maintenance on your 2012, sell it, and buy a 2016 or newer. There are too many parts that were updated from 2012 that make it much more reliable and replacing them all on a 2012 would take lots of time and money (I know because I’ve done it on my 2010). Just my 2 cents.
Uh, got a list of what you did?

As a new owner of a low mileage 2011 with a long life ahead of it I would be interested in the details.

JordanXJL (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:26 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I’m not in front of my computer right now, but here are some quick things I can remember off the top of my head.

- - - - -

There were a few things that I addressed that are less problematic in a 2016 model:

timing chain tensioners/guides
water pump
various coolant system pipes
sticky interior buttons
Popping/ creaking sun roof
I think also a sunroof rail rust guard was added in later models, but someone else can verify
i also had the original slow infotainment system

i replaced all those except for the sunroof parts

- - - - -

many parts of my car also had wear and tear due to age that would be less prominent in a newer model.

Numerous suspension components/ bushings replaced
engine and tranny mounts replaced
leaking vacuum pump (believe 2016 model uses a longer bolt)
headlight stalk replacement
coolant reservoir tank float issue
rattling wires in doors
supercharger snout replacement

other maintenance included
brake fluid
tranny service
differential service
coolant flush
tpms sensor replacement
brakes and tires

- - - - -

2016 model also has numerous upgrades relative to 2012 including the 8-speed transmission, updated lights, etc.

Anyway I have done lots more work to my car than this, but not everything was essential.

The following 4 users liked this post by Nedoerr:
CptChaos (09-09-2021), JordanXJL (09-02-2021), Ken Dreger (09-06-2021), rothwell (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 01:12 AM

Thank you to everyone for the responses. Nedoerr, I believe your latest reply pretty much sums up everything I'll need to tend to on my recently purchased 2012. My Lenovo OBD1-2 scanner works great on the XJ, I reset my maintenance reminder today.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:33 PM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Ask yourself - Do I enjoy driving this car? If you do then keep it and do the preventative maintenance. The issues with your car are typical gremlins and can be easily overcome. Tackle the most annoying one first and go from there. I have a 2011 5.0L N/A portfolio and purchased a servicing and diagnostic tool for it which has been invaluable. Any car of this vintage needs a bit of extra TLC and I knew that when I purchased it. It's my daily driver and the best form of preventative maintenance for any vehicle is drive the damn thing 😁

Ken Dreger (09-06-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Have to agree with Fossberry. Yes a newer car will have less problems but with a much higher purchase price.
So far I don't see any major problems with your car and with the help of this forum you can certainly get it all fixed.
Glad to hear the service indicator is now off too!

Old 09-06-2021, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XJL AC at Idle

2012 XJL Portfolio 70 k

Wondering if anyone has this issue or can add some thoughts Thanks in advance !!
. I would love to do this, but lately can't find the time
My vehicle is not blowing cold air at idle. If you get up to highway speeds it will blow cold. Took it to a local mechanic. He mentions they should be serviced at 50k I have 70k. He tried vac and recharge it did not help. Pressures on the low sign were approx 50 but would drop to what he stated was normal range 35-40 when the compressor kicked on, High side was approx 250, He stated the compressor was weak and changing compressor was the answer. I was unable to leave the car at the time. and still trying to find the time to get back. I was told by a friend to try a hose down the condense coil which I did and the AC seems to get cold at idle but did not last long. he said it might be the condenser coil

Mechanic wanted 1200 to change out the compressor

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2012 Jaguar XJL Portfolio Problems??