XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 XJ Supercharged 5.0 rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 12:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2012 XJ Supercharged 5.0 rebuild question

To make a long story short, a mechanic misdiagnosed a failing timing chain tensioner as faulty high pressure fuel pumps. I know, I know, and I knew it at the time... that's not the same sound, but this was coming from a mechanic at what I was told was reputable shop. Just ask if you'd like the name of the place here in Austin so that you can avoid them like the plague. As a result, the tensioner on the passenger side failed (within 48 hours of the fuel pump repair), resulting in damage to four valves and two pistons. The engine now requires a rebuild. I'm having a devil of time finding anyone who will do the job here in Austin and haven't found a reliable machine shop that will do the work. It will most likely be up to me to round up all of the parts myself (some not so hard to find and others quite difficult to find).

Can anyone point me towards a list of what all I'll be hunting for?

I'll definitely be joining every single class action lawsuit that I can find related to this known tensioner problem. At this point in time all I hear is "you'll need to replace the engine", but the prices I'm being quoted are nearly the value of the car itself. I'd be saved if only my insurance could be convinced that this is equivalent to a "one vehicle accident" and contribute to the repairs (ha!). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

So when you picked up your XJ didn't you hear the same sound that you had when you brought in your car? If so what did the shop say? IMHO the shop needs to pay for the repair. As for engine internal parts they are extremely hard to find and maybe someone here can point you in the right direction. Or search for a good used engine. As for the tensioners, I do not believe there was a class action suit. Most shops with Jaguar experience are well aware of the guide and tensioner issue that was resolved in the 2014 and newer models. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2021, 01:20 PM

I was immediately aware of the sound when I went to pick it up. I started the car, then immediately turned it off and went inside the shop to bring the mechanic outside. His first reply was that the sound I heard was already there, to which I replied, "I brought the car in for you to evaluate that exact sound. Your diagnosis was high pressure pumps, so I had you repair those. Now you're telling me that whatever is making that sound is still there and I did not need the high pressure pump replacement?". He shuffled a bit and said, "I'm sorry, that sound was NOT there", to which I replied, "So you're saying that you did the repair and it resulted in a noise that was not there before?". He replied that the noise must have been there but was hidden by the noise that the now repaired fuel pumps were making. I told him that the sound is exactly the same sound that I brought in for the original diagnosis. He informed me I was incorrect. This went round and round and I honestly have no way to prove that the damage to the engine did not occur before I took the car to him. If you're in Austin, I highly recommend that you avoid "Luxury Auto Works" for any future business.

At this point I'm looking at salvage running vehicles with the same engine for a transplant, or warranted replacement engines. I can't pay Jaguar prices for a replacement engine. The engine is out of the car and I have located a rebuilt cylinder head, but cannot find a machine shop that will agree to pull the pistons and replace them in the block, even if I can locate and provide every single piece needed for the rebuild. Seems a shame that there are no mechanics around with the ***** to do a rebuild. I'd certainly welcome any leads for salvage vehicles or available engines. I've subscribed to Copart and about six other similar sources, as well as located an already pulled engine with warranty for about $7K delivered. It will require my existing supercharger and ancillary components..... but I do just happen to have those sitting around at a garage attached to a large chunk of useless metal.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Did you make a video with sound of your engine noise before bringing it to that armature shop? If so I would sue the shop for improper repair diagnosis. I would also, inform the shop that you will be posting your issue on as many forums and blogs that reference that shop (i.e. put your hand in their pocket until it hurts). Most shops have liability insurance so suing with your evidence may get you reimbursed. At the very least let the shop return your money. BTW. I have yet to hear of a high pressure pump failing on an XJ. Lastly I would not have taken delivery of the car with that noise.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:46 AM

Hindsight is 20/20

Old 03-03-2021, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:14 AM
Received 170 Likes on 134 Posts

Why are you being told that the engine needs to be replaced? It sounds like the shop does not want to pull the intercoolers, intakes and cooling to do the tensioner replacement.

Start with checking the codes so that you can post what codes you are getting.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Portfoliolio
The engine is out of the car and I have located a rebuilt cylinder head, but cannot find a machine shop that will agree to pull the pistons and replace them in the block, even if I can locate and provide every single piece needed for the rebuild. Seems a shame that there are no mechanics around with the ***** to do a rebuild. I'd certainly welcome any leads for salvage vehicles or available engines. I've subscribed to Copart and about six other similar sources, as well as located an already pulled engine with warranty for about $7K delivered. It will require my existing supercharger and ancillary components..... but I do just happen to have those sitting around at a garage attached to a large chunk of useless metal.
That really sucks. However, I think you may be looking in the wrong place (regular automotive shops) to do the actual repair/assembly of the engine itself. My experience has lead me to some awesome agricultural machine shops which do everything from huge industrial stationary diesel engines to tractors and stock car race engine builds. Those guys will tackle almost anything. I'm sure they'd need all the specs/shop info on the engine and its internals. This engine is still just another ICE, albeit with some quirks. I would start with local racing shops first since they are used to working on "unusual" projects.

Last edited by avidity; 03-04-2021 at 10:09 AM. Reason: corrected quoting
Old 03-05-2021, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My High pressure fuel pump (just one unit) failed after 112,000 miles on my 2012 XJ Supercharged. The car had no power and and started shake strangely. I limped it home. The exterior odors smelled terrible, like something you smell at an racetrack, unburnt fuel
. Fearing the worst, towed to dealership, they replaced both units... Total bill $2200 USD (Fuel pumps claimed to be $740 each)

Old 03-16-2021, 10:09 PM

Pretty much given up on the idea of having mine rebuilt. I've called approximated 30 speed shops, 20 machine shops, and 35 mechanics. From an area ranging from San Antonio to Austin and up to Killeen. No one in that area will touch a Jaguar engine, even if I said that I'd hunt down all the parts myself. I asked each one if they had a lead on a place that would do the job, and followed each of those leads... all to dead ends. Engines that have already been pulled start at $8K, so it looks like I'm shopping for a salvage car with a good engine. I've registered with 3 auction services throughout the US and will have to keep trying until I get one. All of this due to a failed belt tensioner. This is my fourth Jaguar, and will be my last.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:59 PM
Received 170 Likes on 134 Posts

Portfoliolio;

Contact the Osborns at Vintage Jag Works, 208-684-4767