XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 XJ wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XJ wont start

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I have a 2012 XJ V-8 that is sitting in front of a friend's house right now because it will not start. I have used the search function but have not been able to find a definite answer.

Last night wife and I are ready to leave when car displays "smart key not found". We had both fobs so i get out and take one of the fobs away but still did not work. car will not turn over, fobs have good batteries.

Do you think it is possible to use that docking station type thing i have read about? I think it is or was called the"start control module". Where is this located on my car and what does it look like?

Does the metal key come completely out of the fob to put it in? I just want to get it home first but then I guess its off to the dealership.

PS I just purchased this car from car max three months ago, so it has never been to the dealership with me. do you think jaguar warranty would cover this issue? Many thanks and I will be sure to post what happens..

Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Update: Found in owner's manual the location to put smart key.. Hold it against dash under where fog light switch is on lower left side of steering wheel. Initially did not do anything, gave me the same "smart key not found" . I heard some sort of static over the speakers, just briefly and only one time. The panel instrumentation flashed on for a split second and still nothing..

I kept pushing the start button and sliding the fob around on the area indicated and voila!! fired right up. On my drive back home I noticed "Smart key not found, Refer to owner's manual" is being displayed. Parked her outside the garage in case I need a flatbed to get to dealership. Now same starting sequence, put fob up to spot on dash and it will start. Still shows message each time.. Thanks in advance for any assistance..

Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanC
Update: Found in owner's manual the location to put smart key.. Hold it against dash under where fog light switch is on lower left side of steering wheel. Initially did not do anything, gave me the same "smart key not found" . I heard some sort of static over the speakers, just briefly and only one time. The panel instrumentation flashed on for a split second and still nothing..

I kept pushing the start button and sliding the fob around on the area indicated and voila!! fired right up. On my drive back home I noticed "Smart key not found, Refer to owner's manual" is being displayed. Parked her outside the garage in case I need a flatbed to get to dealership. Now same starting sequence, put fob up to spot on dash and it will start. Still shows message each time.. Thanks in advance for any assistance..
Your Smart key battery likely needs replacement. I certainly would try this before calling for a flat-bed.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately both fobs have new batteries. I just replaced one again just to make sure but no dice...If I hold it up to the area underneath the fog light switch it fires up but otherwise not.

Guess i'll call Scott Jaguar in Charlotte tomorrow. i will keep everyone updated..

Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

1- New batteries in each FOB.
2- car is now starting but you are still getting the message from the car
that it does not see the FOB.
Not starting at all is the real problem

Trouble to the computer in the car.

There are times I do not drive the car for a week or so.
I have gotten messages like 'gear failure', 'Brakes failure'.
I was told a voltage build up for the car sitting for a long time.
Turning the car off, letting it sit, when restarting the message was gone.

I knew my messages were false when everything still works.
But not starting at all it does not matter what the message says---
The computer is not seeing the FOB.
In trouble shooting we would change the computer.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not a good place to be. I hope you sort it out. Your xj is a beauty. Keep us posted pa.bill

Originally Posted by Pa.Bill
1- New batteries in each FOB.
2- car is now starting but you are still getting the message from the car
that it does not see the FOB.
Not starting at all is the real problem

Trouble to the computer in the car.

There are times I do not drive the car for a week or so.
I have gotten messages like 'gear failure', 'Brakes failure'.
I was told a voltage build up for the car sitting for a long time.
Turning the car off, letting it sit, when restarting the message was gone.

I knew my messages were false when everything still works.
But not starting at all it does not matter what the message says---
The computer is not seeing the FOB.
In trouble shooting we would change the computer.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

Sounds like the car battery is failing.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I would try a hard reset by disconnecting the battery in the trunk for a couple of minutes. I have read and seen where this has resolved many electrical gremlins.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 PM

Update: Took the car to Scott Jaguar in Charlotte on Monday and was plesantly surprised to find out the warranty is in effect till 50 K miles (25 K on it now) or Feb 2016. They provided me with a sweet loaner ride but unfortunately they were all out of Jaguar loaners so I have been rocking the Dodge Caravan all week!

Service department called Monday afternoon to say it was a "Gateway Module" that was bad. Had to order one but had software update issues installing it. I believe this had to do with an update for the diagnostic machine at the dealership. It took all day Tuesday and today to get that resolved. Finally finished it at 5 PM today so I am going to pick the car up in the morning.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanC
Update: Took the car to Scott Jaguar in Charlotte on Monday and was plesantly surprised to find out the warranty is in effect till 50 K miles (25 K on it now) or Feb 2016. They provided me with a sweet loaner ride but unfortunately they were all out of Jaguar loaners so I have been rocking the Dodge Caravan all week!

Service department called Monday afternoon to say it was a "Gateway Module" that was bad. Had to order one but had software update issues installing it. I believe this had to do with an update for the diagnostic machine at the dealership. It took all day Tuesday and today to get that resolved. Finally finished it at 5 PM today so I am going to pick the car up in the morning.
Please let us know what a "Gateway Module" is.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

Converts between the computer buses.