XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 XJL Supercharged Rear Speakers and issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2012 XJL Supercharged Rear Speakers and issue?

I just bought a beautiful 2012 XJL supercharged and it is great. My question to any owner is:

For some reason, the rear speakers sound really weak. Even if I change the fader to rear. The dealer told me this was "Normal" but I do not buy it. Can anyone help me with this issue.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Do you know which audio system you have (base, or Bowers and Wilkins)?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:06 PM

B & W 1200W ont he supercharged with Exec Pckg

Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

I read somewhere if the XJL trunk is full (groceries, luggage, gulf bags, wife's latest purchases, etc.), the base response of the audio system is diminished significantly. Just food for thought.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:44 PM

Nope, trunk is completely empty. I think there is an actual problem even though the dealer said they sat in another 2012 and it sounded the same. Very weak rear speakers and subwoofer.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

I have the Meridian 825 watt 20 speaker system and I think it is outstanding. As for rear speakers, they are there and I can fade back to them but they are not quite as loud as the other speakers. However when the system is on the Meridian Trifield setting all my occupants have clear full range enveloping sound and feel that each one is in the center of the audio. As for base, when the windows are closed i can barely make out the sub woofers and the base is good , but open the windows and I think I am a kid with humongous sub woofers. So I think that Jaguar made a good move to Meridian just as Range Rover and McLaren.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
Old 05-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by znir1
I just bought a beautiful 2012 XJL supercharged and it is great. My question to any owner is:

For some reason, the rear speakers sound really weak. Even if I change the fader to rear. The dealer told me this was "Normal" but I do not buy it. Can anyone help me with this issue.
I'm calling BS on the dealer.

The B&W is an equal opportunities system. All occupants get the full stadium effect.

Also, I haven't noticed any difference in performance between loaded and unloaded. There aren't any speakers in the boot cavity (the subwoofers are in the front doors).

Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
I have the Meridian 825 watt 20 speaker system and I think it is outstanding. As for rear speakers, they are there and I can fade back to them but they are not quite as loud as the other speakers. However when the system is on the Meridian Trifield setting all my occupants have clear full range enveloping sound and feel that each one is in the center of the audio. As for base, when the windows are closed i can barely make out the sub woofers and the base is good , but open the windows and I think I am a kid with humongous sub woofers. So I think that Jaguar made a good move to Meridian just as Range Rover and McLaren.
I don't claim to be an expert on such things, but have noticed on more than one car that the base sound increases with the windows/roof down or open. I believe this is because base notes require moving larger volumes of air at lower frequencies, which is why base speakers are much larger than mid range, and dwarf high frequency speakers.

Problem is, today's cars are hermetically sealed much better than years ago, to quiet the interior from extraneous noise, and the passenger compartment is better sealed from the trunk or boot compartment. And, although their are vents in the the rear fender structures of the XJ/XJL that allow easier closing of doors, these vents don't act at low enough pressures, nor quick enough, not to restrict or depress the pressure waves of the cars stereo system base notes, and therefore reduce their perception by our hearing system.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Giles, I beg to differ with you, in that the sub-woofers are indeed located in the rear shelf and have openings into the boot (trunk). I'll attach the Meridian In-car Audio press release for the XJ Ultimate (this is the same system used on all XJs with 825 watt systems from MY2013 on). While the speakers and amplification changed the speaker compliment and locations were carried over from the Bowers & Wilkins 1200 watt audio systems. Also, for those that are looking to replace speakers it shows the sizes.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
meridian-xj_ultimate[4100].pdf (393.5 KB, 622 views)
Old 05-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig

Agree with Polyesterpig...that thread covers the issue which you seem to have.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

The lack of bass while can be annoying was known by B&W. Attached is the link from the whole article but I quote the following below.

However, B&W points out that “when you turn up the sub on the interface it does boost sub bass level to the parcel shelf bass speakers which, they admit, are under utilized most of the time because the door bass drivers are so potent. They point out and I concur that “the system goes quite ridiculously loud but more importantly is never stressed”.

First Listen: 2011 Jaguar XJL & The B&W 7.1-channel System | The Absolute Sound

Old 05-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

switch the sound design to > DTS Neo:6

That sound style sounds the best by far.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-13-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B&W No rear Fader Solution......Fixed by dealer.

Hi there!

I also had the same issue many owners have with no rear fade and poor sound with the 1200W B&W system.

Thanks to this forum and some persistence I had the amplifier swapped out from a 2015 Model. Don't ask me how as I know the new cars are supposed to be different but anyhow that is what the dealer told me....that they replaced the amplifier. Now my car stereo sounds amazing not only do the subs in the trunk work but the overall sound has improved dramatically.

I now cannot wait to get into my car to hear the audio system.

To all owners......do not accept "this is normal" as an answer from your dealer and others on this forum. If you have no sound when you fade to the back your amp is faulty as many are.....print this post and others like it and take them to your dealer.

Good Luck!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
I read somewhere if the XJL trunk is full (groceries, luggage, gulf bags, wife's latest purchases, etc.), the base response of the audio system is diminished significantly. Just food for thought.
I just realize that, if you put some luggage or bags and suitcases in the trunk, something in the rear 2 subwoofers (I have meridian 380w) happens, like they go out of syncronizzation and you will not hear any sub bass sound anymore. But if you go in sound option (with luggage in the trunk) and you center the sound and after you set again your usual setting, the sub bass will return back!
Centering the sound work like a resyncronization depending on the air volume of the trunk. Just try it incredible!