XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2013 Jaguar XJL Portfolio

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Jaguar XJL Portfolio

I have a 2013 Jaguar XJL Portfolio. The check engine light came on and I am told there is a coolant leak and it needs repair. Supposedly the components that are leaking are the water pump, thermostat and rear coolant manifold with all the gaskets needed. How can I know that this is indeed a needed repair? Does anyone know how much this repair should cost?

Also, I'm told there is an active suspension fault and the control module needs replacement. Again, how do I know that this a indeed a needed repair and how much replacement of a control module should cost?

ANY INSIGHT AND INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:30 PM
Default 2013 Jaguar XJL Portfolio

I have a 2013 Jaguar XJL Portfolio. The check engine light came on and I am told there is a coolant leak and it needs repair. Supposedly the components that are leaking are the water pump, thermostat and rear coolant manifold with all the gaskets needed. How can I know that this is indeed a needed repair? Does anyone know how much this repair should cost?

Also, I'm told there is an active suspension fault and the control module needs replacement. Again, how do I know that this a indeed a needed repair and how much replacement of a control module should cost?

ANY INSIGHT AND INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had this issue three times with my 2012 XJL, my local Jaguar dealer charges between $3000-$3500 for the cooling stuff. I'm not a DIY so I'm at their mercy and their best customer when it comes to coolant issues.
gpk

Old 03-29-2024, 03:46 PM
Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

If you are questioning the validity of diagnostic services, you have two choices: obtain the necessary hardware and software to perform your own diagnoses ... or find a shop that you can trust. Are you planning on doing your own repairs that require Jaguar software? If not, maybe post on this subforum and site-wide for recommendations of a Chicago area independent shop. I strongly suggest you stay away from JLR dealers with your 10+ year-old car.
The cooling system failure you're describing is most assuredly a universal issue with the V-8 X351. In fact, your car has probably had several components already replaced. Is your car supercharged or N/A? I had extensive cooling system repairs done last year on my 2012 N/A for $3400. There are a number of aftermarket metal parts that purport to solve these problems. You may want to investigate these further, but your immediate task is to resolve the items in my first paragraph.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:52 PM

One more thing ...
Has your car experienced overheating? The temperature gauge in these cars is notoriously innacurate. Before beginning repairs, have a scan performed to look for a permanent DTC indicating overheating. Often the X351 driver will get a "coolant low" warning without any temperature warning. If your car suffered an overheating condition, report back here before spending thousands on repairs.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:54 PM

i know what you mean about being at their mercy. Seems like an outrageous amount.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:57 PM

I have not experienced overheating but was told when drive at service appointment tech noticed it running warm

Old 03-29-2024, 04:02 PM

I don't think mine is a V8. I think it is a V6. and not sure about supercharged. I'm not able to do repairs myself ,so I am at the mercy of what I am told. What do you mean JLR dealer?

Old 03-29-2024, 04:20 PM

I don't think $139/hr. is an outrageous hourly shop rate, particularly if their parts markup is reasonable and there are no extra charges.
Jaguar-Land Rover is often abbreviated here as JLR.
"service appointment tech noticed it running warm" is not helpful to you or us. The car is either within proper operating range or not. Check the codes. And yes, you may have the V-6. I misread your initial post; thought you have a 2012.
You'll get the most help on this forum by listing all the particulars of your car and any past service history, if available. We once had a thread that went on for weeks before the OP stated his car was a diesel, unavailable in the US.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 04:23 PM
QP7
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

By JLR he means Jaguar Land Rover...

WARNING - you are in real danger of losing your engine and owning a useless car (paperweight). The coolant systems on the X351 are, as Baltobernie accurately stated "most assuredly" crap. The coolant pipes leak and even worse the water pump ALWAYS leaks until you get the 7th edition variant of that specific pump. And, yours is an Aluminum engine with no reliable temperature gauge, so once it over heats - which it will - A) you won't be able to tell, and B) it will very likely RUIN your engine. So I would recommend the following: - A) don't drive it until you know the coolant tank is correctly filled, B) when you do drive it (preferably don't) check that coolant every time you stop (that is what I do; yes I open the hood and look every single time I get in or get out; and because of that (and regular top ups with distilled water) mine is fine (even though I have a tiny leak... waiting on my tech to fix it), but as BaltoB shrewdly alluded to I don't have any metal coolant pipes yet; B) get some black dye and a UV Light and find a decent indie to tell you how to put the dye in the coolant tank and use the UV Light to see where it leaks; C) get the 7th edition water pump no matter what; D) start buying the metal coolant pipes ready for the replacement or face the inevitable.

Oh, and read every decent thread you can find on here on X351 coolant systems, and then you will have a lovely car. BTW check and change your valve cover gaskets when you do the coolant pipes and check the alternator for oil contamination. Do all that and you will have a wonderful, inexpensive and reliable car. BE CAREFUL until the leaks are fixed or you will regret it big time, sooner or later. GOOD LUCK. (PS I have a 2013 XJL too, and its great)

Last edited by QP7; 03-29-2024 at 04:27 PM.
ralphwg (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,454 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Who has told you all this ? Have you looked under the hood to see if the coolant header tank is full ? Coolant leaks have a distinctive smell and you should be able to see globules of coolant if you look around, especially in the dark with a torch (US=flashlight).

Can't comment on the suspension issue, it depends on the fault codes, but it sounds suspicious. Much more likely is a sensor is damaged or displaced.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:43 PM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

How many kilometres/miles are displayed on the instrument cluster?

Which engine is fitted to the vehicle?

What DTCs are stored in the system?

What work has been recently been done?

Has the shop in question performed a cooling system pressure test to identify the cause and location of the coolant leak(s)?

Old 03-29-2024, 04:52 PM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Here are the aluminium water outlet pipes fitted to a 2013 X351 with the AJ126 engine:

The following 3 users liked this post by NBCat:
Don B (03-30-2024), QP7 (03-29-2024), ralphwg (03-29-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 08:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,903 Likes on 3,207 Posts

KBS, I am going to throw a bit of doubt on this diagnosis. The odds of having 2 or more things all start leaking at the same time is pretty abnormal. So, that puts doubt in my mine. Now, I could possibly understand a water pump/thermostat issue as the two are semi close ot each other and knowing which caused what is not always obvious. But, the rear coolant crossover pipe is nowhere near the pump and thermostat. So, a second opinion is in order. With that being said, I would do some looking on this site for the aluminum coolant system upgrades and get all of them. yes, it is going to be about $400 in parts. But, when you do this upgrade, your coolant system is going to become almost bullet proof. All the common failures will be corrected and have a part that is not subject to cycle failure (ie heated and cooled until it cracks and fails, that is what happens to all the plastic parts in the engine bay). So, that kinda brings you back to your first diagnosis and going with it is not going to necessarily a "bad call" if you do the upgrades, not stick stock plastic parts back in. The overall job will probaby cost you $1500, but there is a fair amount of labor involved in it.

As for the suspension fault, CODES!!! CODES!!!! CODES!!!!!!. Give me something to start with. A suspension fault in not a common issue with these cars, but the 2 that I have seen here (my car and one other member) were both solved by replacing the right front strut. If you look, there may be other examples. I would be looking at fuses first as that is a more likely suspect than the computer at this point in time.

QP7 (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,389 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Pretty, pretty, pretty!

Old 03-30-2024, 01:00 PM
Received 13,088 Likes on 6,520 Posts

Kbschicago,

I have merged your related thread in the General Tech forum with this thread in the correct X351 forum to reduce confusion and duplicated effort on the part of members who want to contribute.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-30-2024 at 09:09 PM.
ralphwg (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 02:54 PM
QP7
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
KBS, I am going to throw a bit of doubt on this diagnosis. The odds of having 2 or more things all start leaking at the same time is pretty abnormal. So, that puts doubt in my mine. Now, I could possibly understand a water pump/thermostat issue as the two are semi close ot each other and knowing which caused what is not always obvious. But, the rear coolant crossover pipe is nowhere near the pump and thermostat. So, a second opinion is in order. With that being said, I would do some looking on this site for the aluminum coolant system upgrades and get all of them. yes, it is going to be about $400 in parts. But, when you do this upgrade, your coolant system is going to become almost bullet proof. All the common failures will be corrected and have a part that is not subject to cycle failure (ie heated and cooled until it cracks and fails, that is what happens to all the plastic parts in the engine bay). So, that kinda brings you back to your first diagnosis and going with it is not going to necessarily a "bad call" if you do the upgrades, not stick stock plastic parts back in. The overall job will probably cost you $1500, but there is a fair amount of labor involved in it.

As for the suspension fault, CODES!!! CODES!!!! CODES!!!!!!. Give me something to start with. A suspension fault in not a common issue with these cars, but the 2 that I have seen here (my car and one other member) were both solved by replacing the right front strut. If you look, there may be other examples. I would be looking at fuses first as that is a more likely suspect than the computer at this point in time.
Thermo is on the money !!!

Old 04-03-2024, 11:43 AM

If you read my post on this thread (#4), you will see on the work order that my car was leaking in 4 areas, including the radiator! I mention this not to throw shade, but to make another point; only allow a shop with JLR experience to work on your car.
I bought mine 5 years ago, and got a "coolant level low" on my drive home from the NY seller. I mistakenly took the car to an independent shop; one that I had used in the past with reasonable satisfaction. They charged me $2200 for cooling system repairs. This was 5 years/25k miles ago.
Imagine my surprise when the car began leaking again last year. This time, I took it to a competent shop. The lead mechanic was visibly upset with the previous repairs. Such things as using sealant on O-rings, generic water pump and more. He saved the faulty parts, which I took to the original shop. This shop claimed that the repair warranty expired. I countered that the repairs and parts they used were faulty when installed.
They wouldn't budge, and my only remedy is small claims court.
KBS, this forum can only offer suggestions to fix problems. You will only play an expensive game of Whack-A-Mole without a competent shop. This goes for anybody else considering an XJ purchase. Don't buy the car before vetting a shop.

QP7 (04-03-2024)