XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2013 XJ 3.0 AWD Supercharger and Cooling System Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 11:45 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXJL15
Did you use any grease for o rings? also how did you bleed the air out of the cooling system?
For the O-rings I don’t recall but sounds good to add a bit for sealing. Maybe the guide would mention that.

For the coolant, I used a vacuum refill kit with my air compressor. I highly recommend this method to get it filled. Otherwise, I read on here that the dual coolant system for this model sends all coolant bubbles to the reservoir, so it naturally bleeds. I’m not the expert, just a messenger about that. I haven’t had any trouble in case there were a few bubbles introduced when my vacuum fill was nearing its end.

https://a.co/d/7ik7yJX

Old 05-31-2024, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 268 Posts

Did you use any grease for o rings? also how did you bleed the air out of the cooling system?
On any hose or oring connections in the cooling system, I always use Hylomar. It never dries and acts as a lubricant. It makes it much easier to disassemble later. It’s also good for holding gaskets in place during assembly. Amazing stuff for these purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLWUVJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLWUVJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by lotusespritse; 05-31-2024 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 12:47 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
On any hose or oring connections in the cooling system, I always use Hylomar. It never dries and acts as a lubricant. It makes it much easier to disassemble later. It’s also good for holding gaskets in place during assembly. Amazing stuff for these purposes.

https://a.co/d/dKndILE
Do you have any other recommendations Hylomar is not for sale in Canada their are a couple sellers on Amazon.ca but the shipping time takes 1 week

Old 05-31-2024, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have any other recommendations Hylomar is not for sale in Canada their are a couple sellers on Amazon.ca but the shipping time takes 1 week
I don't.

Old 05-31-2024, 03:01 PM

My supercharger is stuck on something the two pins in the middle have disconnected but its not lifting up seems like it stuck on something towards the back the front seems very loose
whatever it is I don't want to pull to hard and break w-ever its stuck on or maybe I am not pulling hard enough? I have watched videos on youtube once the two pins disconnected does not take much effort to lift out

Watch video

Old 05-31-2024, 03:06 PM

I did not remove this plastic thing at the back of the SC because its not connected to anything two bolts one on each side

Old 05-31-2024, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

My supercharger is stuck on something the two pins in the middle have disconnected but its not lifting up seems like it stuck on something towards the back the front seems very loose
whatever it is I don't want to pull to hard and break w-ever its stuck on or maybe I am not pulling hard enough? I have watched videos on youtube once the two pins disconnected does not take much effort to lift out

Watch video
https://youtu.be/HI1fWNKo4KU
Why are you so sure the two pins have disconnected? It looks to me that it's possible the supercharger is still hung up on one or both pins. If you removed all the screws holding the supercharger to the engine, there's nothing else to hold it down like that.

Old 05-31-2024, 04:27 PM

Why are you so sure the two pins have disconnected? It looks to me that it's possible the supercharger is still hung up on one or both pins. If you removed all the screws holding the supercharger to the engine, there's nothing else to hold it down like that.
All six bolts have been removed you may be right the pins are still holding it The front lifts about half inch the back not much play the pins are probably rusted any ideas ? any special tools?

Everything was going nice and smooth until I got to this stuck supercharger

this guy had to get on top of the engine and pull

Old 05-31-2024, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

All six bolts have been removed you may be right the pins are still holding it The front lifts about half inch the back not much play the pins are probably rusted any ideas ? any special tools?

Everything was going nice and smooth until I got to this stuck supercharger

this guy had to get on top of the engine and pull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z97PBTyvmZ0
Strength and persistence. Put anti seize to avoid a repeat.

Old 05-31-2024, 04:41 PM

Strength and persistence. Put anti seize to avoid a repeat.
Thanks I will keep trying I will order this from Amazon in case I can not pull it

Old 06-01-2024, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by griff831
For the O-rings I don’t recall but sounds good to add a bit for sealing. Maybe the guide would mention that.

For the coolant, I used a vacuum refill kit with my air compressor. I highly recommend this method to get it filled. Otherwise, I read on here that the dual coolant system for this model sends all coolant bubbles to the reservoir, so it naturally bleeds. I’m not the expert, just a messenger about that. I haven’t had any trouble in case there were a few bubbles introduced when my vacuum fill was nearing its end.

https://a.co/d/7ik7yJX
How did you pull apart the snout from the supercharger? I removed all 7 bolts I assume its the glue that is still holding it together I have a rubber mallet I can hit it with
Where is the Supercharger oil? at the back in the black box? with a T30 screw on top to drain and fill? How did you drain the oil?

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 06-02-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 05:05 PM

I turned the supercharger upside down removed the drain plug the amount of oil that drained out is next to nothing
Is the normal? for V6 Engine?

Old 06-04-2024, 05:10 PM

Should I put grease on the seals of the Heater Manifold

Old 06-05-2024, 11:33 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I turned the supercharger upside down removed the drain plug the amount of oil that drained out is next to nothing
yes, I would say that some of the oil is either consumed or in the corners. It only takes 5.5oz for this service.

I would recommend some light grease for the o-rings but nothing heavy that would get into the coolant system. Again. I did not use any, maybe a little residual coolant.

Old 06-05-2024, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

This seems to be a trend. Every post I have seen about removing the old oil from the supercharger, including my own personal experience, is that there is much less oil removed than specified.

The oil is only for lubricating the 2 big gears in back, so it probably doesn't take a lot to be picked up by those gears. The oil does not lubricate any of the bearings and doesn't even make it to any part of the front of the supercharger.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 06-05-2024 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:42 PM

Another problem I cant get the aluminum pipe in Impossible I don't think its the gasket I think its metal on metal Is this normal ? I put a lot of grease still it will not go in
I'm thinking about getting a new plastic pipe from Jaguar and forgetting the aluminum upgrade

Old 06-05-2024, 11:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Another problem I cant get the aluminum pipe in Impossible I don't think its the gasket I think its metal on metal Is this normal ? I put a lot of grease still it will not go in
I'm thinking about getting a new plastic pipe from Jaguar and forgetting the aluminum upgrade
Do you really wanna do that job twice?
i used coolant on my O-rings and pushed straight down. Not sure why yours insnt working 🤔 dimensions seems on point with the oem.

Old 06-08-2024, 07:57 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Try to smooth off the second camber on the Alu pipe with a touch of fine wet and dry (with o-ring removed so you don't get bits of Alu on the ring)? I found the 'angles' on my Alu pipes a bit aggressive. Once the pipe is in place the 'shoulder' does nothing.

In the end I wimped out of fitting the Alu pipes on the recommendation of my indie who felt there wasn't enough 'mileage' on them yet to recommend. So went for new-style plastic, knowing I might need to do it again in a few years or so.

Old 06-10-2024, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by cbarr
Try to smooth off the second camber on the Alu pipe with a touch of fine wet and dry (with o-ring removed so you don't get bits of Alu on the ring)? I found the 'angles' on my Alu pipes a bit aggressive. Once the pipe is in place the 'shoulder' does nothing.

In the end I wimped out of fitting the Alu pipes on the recommendation of my indie who felt there wasn't enough 'mileage' on them yet to recommend. So went for new-style plastic, knowing I might need to do it again in a few years or so.
I ordered another two sets of pipes off Amazon and one finally fit
The original one I ordered off of Ebay did not fit with or without the o rings
The second one I ordered fit without the o rings but would not fit with the o rings
Finally the 3rd one fit with the o rings although not as snug as the OEM