XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2013 XJ 3.0 AWD Supercharger and Cooling System Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

That doesn't look like the oring seal from the pics. It looks like they added some high temp silicon sealant.

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
That doesn't look like the oring seal from the pics. It looks like they added some high temp silicon sealant.

if you scroll up you will see a picture of the pipe before install and the oring seals are red exact same I am the one who installed it I did not add any sealant that is the oring seals squeezed out probably because they are cheap aftermarket
What do you think will it start to leak?

I will ask the dealer if they sell just the 2 O-ring seals to the rear coolant manifold.

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; Yesterday at 10:03 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

And totally wrong amount. Remains squeesed away from actual joint outside is not harmfull, but same amount (or more) is inside and will end up in circulation. These remains will end up in radiator/coolers causing poor flow.
I have found few cases where this have been done in oil side causing major main bearing failure. in one of the case it was an extremely expensive italian hand made engine owner fixed himself...

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JaguarXJL15
if you scroll up you will see a picture of the pipe before install and the oring seals are red exact same I am the one who installed it I did not add any sealant that is the oring seals squeezed out probably because they are cheap aftermarket
What do you think will it start to leak?

I will ask the dealer if they sell just the 2 O-ring seals to the rear coolant manifold.
That is bizarre that the orings could be squeeze out of their channels like that. It makes me think they weren't seated in their groves correctly when you put them on.

In terms of leaking, the only way to know is to pressure test the system and see if they leak.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

That is bizarre that the orings could be squeeze out of their channels like that. It makes me think they weren't seated in their groves correctly when you put them on.

In terms of leaking, the only way to know is to pressure test the system and see if they leak.
even if they were not seated properly they should've fit into place when I tightened the bolts I think they were over sized o rings for some reason
I remember when I installed pipe it did not look squeezed out like it does now must've happened during operation

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

FYI, I believe Clubairth1 in a different thread recommended using a factory seal and not what came with the rear manifold pipe. I wrote it down for future reference: Jaguar AJ811600 Seal. It is not an o-ring because the sealing surface is round on one side and flat on the opposite side.
Secondly, has anyone had experience with the one piece aluminum heater manifold pipe yet?

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Freddy J
FYI, I believe Clubairth1 in a different thread recommended using a factory seal and not what came with the rear manifold pipe. I wrote it down for future reference: Jaguar AJ811600 Seal. It is not an o-ring because the sealing surface is round on one side and flat on the opposite side.
Secondly, has anyone had experience with the one piece aluminum heater manifold pipe yet?
The question is will the OEM seal fit the aftermarket manifold pipe? I was just at the dealership they are not returnable item so I want to be sure they will fit the aftermarket pipe. Clubairth?

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,415 Likes on 1,900 Posts

As posted in this thread? With pictures.
Rear Water Manifold

The following users liked this post:
JaguarXJL15 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

I was thinking about leaving it good thing I removed it to see what is going on
This is what can happen when you go aftermarket

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; Yesterday at 08:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, that is just bizarre. What is suppose to be O-rings looks exactly like high temp silicone. I don't understand how so much of the O-rings oozed out past the tight fitting union and then coalesced on the outside to look exactly like silicone does when you assemble with it.

I won't be using those O-rings, that's for sure. I wonder if anyone else has noticed the same problem.

Old Today, 10:15 AM
Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Ohh... These O-rings came with the part seems to have 2-3 times too large in diameter. Lucky you removed it and catch the remmands before they ended up in any of heat exchangers.
Measure the depht of the O-ring groove and add about 1/3th of the measured depth for new O-ring thikness. -> If the groove depth is 2mm use 3mm O-ring. (choose diameter about mid groove, so O-ring have bit space to expand when tightened on place) O-ring have to be type to withstand glygol and olis.

Last edited by Vasara; Today at 10:16 AM.
Old Today, 10:20 AM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Wow, that is just bizarre. What is suppose to be O-rings looks exactly like high temp silicone....
And posted by someone who asks if they should put RTV on everything... What a coincidence.

Last edited by 12jagmark; Today at 10:22 AM.
Old Today, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
And posted by someone who asks if they should put RTV on everything... What a coincidence.
A coincidence and nothing more if I used any sealant I would've said like when I used sealant gasket maker on the oil cooler gasket
Those two o rings not real they were some kind of cheap rubber in the shape of o rings once heated up they melted

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; Today at 10:36 AM.