XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2013 XJ Changes & Updates?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Do guys think the feature can be disabled with a software update?

I remember reading somewhere, a new 3 series owner almost got into an accident(something along those lines) because of that feature and had a shop deactivate it. I am guessing the same should be true for Jaguar????

Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I don't think the car manufacturers will have much choice with the ever increasing government gas mileage requirements. They have to keep dreaming up ways to save gas and that's why it will never be an option.
From what I can glean from folks in the company, you are closer to the mark than the others. We just had a training day with corporates and three of the new 2013's. Spent half a day getting the feel of the new SC V6 AWD in the XF and XJ, and also the new XF I4 Turbo.
Chatting off the record with some, it's clear the "Intelligent Start/Stop" is all about one thing, Corporate Average Fuel Economy; having the I4 Turbo is, too.
For those that don't know, CAFE is all a game, a game that the manufacturers have to play. That's why the XK8 always had a "back seat" for instance; four seats are 'classified' differently by the EPA than two seats. Just about everything has to have "points" or an offset. The I4 sort of serves as an offset to the F-Type that was unveiled yesterday. The Stop/Start business is something that can't be truly quantified as far as the EPA is concerned, meaning you can't say it saves X miles per gallon. So the fact that it's understood that it has to save SOME fuel, the mfg. gets "points", these points serve as an offset somewhere else. In one sense the mfg's don't really like the Stop/Start because of the technical and wear challenges; on the other hand, they get their "points" because it is there for the consumer to be "green". From that point, they don't care if you turn it off or not, they know the EPA can't MAKE you use it, but it's there. Unfortunately, you will have to do the dance and turn it off at every start.

As far as how it works, strangely enough, I can't say. I don't think it ever kicked in for any of us that day. Conditions have to be just right. It's supposed to be pretty smart, for instance if you make a stop at the median, like you are going to make a U Turn, it won't let the engine stop. It won't stop if the temp is below 32 deg. F [for heat], or above 104 deg. F [for Air Cond]. If it does kick in a lot, like say New York City, before long it's going to terminate Stop/Start to save the battery. Time will tell, we'll see how people get along with it.

But to the original point, this is just the beginning of the silly ways they are going to try to "game" the CAFE ratings. And guess who gets to live with the aggravation.........the consumer.

Ummmmm! Time to defund the EPA!

Cheers,

Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Time to defund the EPA!

Defund and defunct...

Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
The saga continues. As I stated before I ordered a 2012 Jaguar XJ SuperSport with the Speed Package way back in January and due to delays in building the car finally arrived this past Monday. In the meantime since delivery was so drawn out and that 2013 production started August 1st, I had decided to roll my order to a 2013 model year. In the meantime I have gotten quite chummy with the Jaguar market manager and we communicate often as to the disposition of my “old” car and “new” car. Tom the market manager had told me that my 2012 car had arrived at the Hennessy Jaguar Dealership in Atlanta and offered to bring it by my work to look at as I wanted to be sure that the 2013 car I ordered was all the right exterior and interior colors and finishes that are the same as the 2012 car. The car is to be used as a manufacturers demo and in fact is going to be loaned to Porsche of North America. Well Tom came by and I not only got to look it over but take it for a short drive. WOW this car was unlike the normally aspirated and supercharged models I had previously driven. This car a short wheel base was so there, it’s response to steering, braking, ride, and of course acceleration made it a true sport sedan. With the catlike response to any driver input and the car is gorgeous as the pictures will show. Currently the 2013 car is tentatively due to arrive at the Hennessy Dealership near me in Alpharetta November 20th and I cannot wait now that I’ve had a chance to see and drive the 2012 car and know the 2013 will be even better.
Is this the original car your ordered:

2012 Jaguar XJ SUPERSPORT (510 HP S/C) (REAR DVD) (SPEED PACK) 995 miles - Stock #PB4735 - Internet Price: $89,995 - Retail Price: $118,425

Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Hi Tommyd, while the car is the exact same specs I do not think this was my 2012 car as my car was used as a manufacturers demo and loaned to Porsche here in the Atlanta area, but the production month is the same as mine was. My suspicion is that when it comes off loan it will be sold as a demo with just under 5k miles unless they drove the *#^t out of it and dumped it.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM

This is indeed a factory demo car.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I checked with the factory rep and it is indeed the car that I had first ordered! It was offered to the Atlanta dealers and they did not want it so it went through the dealer auction and Chantilly bought it. It is a great car!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM

I agree. Only 1K on the clock. Great deal for someone at the right price since it would be titled as a new car with a full warranty that starts on delivery date.