XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2013 XJL 3.0 SC, Stalls at Idle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2013 XJL 3.0 SC, Stalls at Idle.

69k miles, I recently purchased the vehicle. Drove 500 miles or so. Last night, while I was 40 miles from home, car suddenly stalled at a light. It was fine prior to that. I restarted the vehicle and it sounded like it was going to stall again, so I held down the brake and gave it a little gas to maintain 1000 rpm’s.

I drove the 40 miles on the highway with no issue. My first stop it stalled again, so I did the brake/gas thing until I got home. When I pulled into my driveway, it stalled right away.

I researched some last night and since it runs good and no engine codes besides the stop lights, I thought it might be the MAF sensors. This morning I took off and cleaned both MAF sensors with cleaner. The air filters were very dirty, I ordered some new ones and vacuumed and cleaned the filters and the filter box.

I had to drive 40 miles away again today. It started up good and idled very solidly. I had to stop at 6 different places after my 40 mile drive. Car started up and ran perfect all day, at all the stops and startups. Then right when I was about to head home, I stalled at a light. Waited for green, restarted it and drove 40 miles home. Did the brake/gas thing until I hit home, but one time it stalled anyways. As soon as I pulled into my driveway it stalled again.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7199.MOV (16.97 MB, 5 views)
Old 12-29-2022, 01:32 AM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Well, you have a system called Start-Stop in you vehicle, like any modern car have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system
It a system to stop the engine in traffic lights etc where you are stationary to save fuel. The green light on your video on lower part of dash indicate it working. Once you lift your foot from brake the engine will start again and you drive off.
Please read owner manual for more info of it and also more feratres of the vehicle.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Vasara
Welcome to the forum.
Well, you have a system called Start-Stop in you vehicle, like any modern car have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system
It a system to stop the engine in traffic lights etc where you are stationary to save fuel. The green light on your video on lower part of dash indicate it working. Once you lift your foot from brake the engine will start again and you drive off.
Please read owner manual for more info of it and also more feratres of the vehicle.

Oh My!!! Thank you so much, I can’t believe I didn’t know about that. I was losing my mind with that one. The inconsistencies of it was freaking me out. Atleast it’s an easy fix and I have clean MAF’s and air filters.

I plan on doing a lot of DIY with the Jag, so I’m happy to be here. Absolutely love the car!!!!

Old 12-29-2022, 10:31 AM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

There are an button on middle of the dash to turn feature off if you don´t like it. The sysem only turns engine off, when all demands are fullfilled, cabin cooled/heated for requested temp, battery charged, engine on op temp etc..
XJ are well DIY able. Brakes, suspension, engine service etc.. are just standart. You might want to source an suitable OBD device for resetting the oil change indicator etc. I bought Jaguar SDD (clone) from eBay and used old Win7 laptop for it.
Note: Full service and repair manual available on Sticky section.
Note2: Remember to write an Hello post for new forum member, so everybody know you a bit.

The following users liked this post:
wombat (12-30-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vasara
There are an button on middle of the dash to turn feature off if you don´t like it. The sysem only turns engine off, when all demands are fullfilled, cabin cooled/heated for requested temp, battery charged, engine on op temp etc..
XJ are well DIY able. Brakes, suspension, engine service etc.. are just standart. You might want to source an suitable OBD device for resetting the oil change indicator etc. I bought Jaguar SDD (clone) from eBay and used old Win7 laptop for it.
Note: Full service and repair manual available on Sticky section.
Note2: Remember to write an Hello post for new forum member, so everybody know you a bit.

Thank you so much. I can’t believe I didn’t realize that was the issue. I live in PA and it’s been below freezing for the first week I had it, so it never happened. Take in the fact it’s a used car I just purchased and there you have it……

I did purchase an Icraft OBD reader, so I have it. I’ll do the Hello now!! Thank you so much for the help.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Also check the age and condition of the main battery, anything less than 100% healthy and fully charged and the start/stop system no longer works properly.
With a 2013 model it's possible it still has the original battery and if so it's well past it's use by date.
But more likely the battery has been renewed at least once.
Even if the battery is relatively new and healthy it is good practice on a modern Jag, especially one with start/stop, to regularly connect up a battery tender/maintainer, CTEK is a favoured brand around here.
Last but not least on a 2013 you will have the two battery start/stop system where the smaller/secondary/auxiliary battery is used to power the peripherals (HVAC, lights, infotainment etc) during the second or so that the engine take to fire up again after a stop. Fairly common for that secondary battery to become weak and if it does the start/stop system goes on the blink. No need to charge it up separately just hook up a tender to the main battery and that will do the trick.
Or you can disconnect that secondary battery or even remove it from the car altogether, that will permanently disable the start/stop system with zero effect on anything else other than maybe prolong the life of the main battery. Saves having to remember to hit the start/stop off switch every time you get in the car.