22 Chrysler -4
23 Ford +3
24 Mercedes-Benz -11
25 Dodge -1
26 Ram -7
27 Jeep -4
28 Fiat NA

Jaguar did not make the list. WTH?!??
Didn't CR know Jaguar was #2 on JD Power's list?
And are we talking about electronics or mechanical reliabiliy here?

Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

I believe these ratings are based in CU members responses. Probably not enough responses from Jaguar owners to be considered an adequate survey sampling, so our make isn't included.

The questionnaire is quite comprehensive, including mechanical and electrical. One problem I see is that they lump all models of a particular brand name together.

Secondly, these surveys were taken before the airbag fiasco (so much for Japanese supplier engineering and quality), which effects more than eight million U.S. autos.

What greater dichotomy can their be that a device that serves no other purpose than to save lives, is actively killing the innocent automobile occupants they are supposed to protect.

Of course, here in the United States the agency (NHTSA) that is supposed to assure automobile safety has again failed miserably in their responsibilities, including their web site (just like Obama Care's roll-out).

Old 10-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Consumer's Reports?????

I have always viewed the results of their "surveys" with quite a bit of cynicism. In my other life -- back when I was collecting a paycheck-- I conducted hundreds if not thousands of surveys and questionnaires, covering all sorts of subjects.

I learned early on to distrust a lot of the data because people, committed or attached to the topic at hand, almost always answered to support their positions, especially if it were their choice,

And so it is with Consumer's Reports on automobiles. Rarely does one want to be seen as making a multi-thousand dollar mistake! So, they answer the questions that makes them look like intelligent buyers. I saw this way back 20 years ago when "Japanese" was the smart buy; all of that perceived quality, don't you know.

I certainly never view that magazines "surveys" as anything more than people patting themselves on the back for how smart they believe they are.

That's O.K., I like my Leaper.
Luck
King Fala

The following users liked this post:
Jffcurt (10-28-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Not even counting any survey results, Jaguar has not in my experience been a great brand for me if I craved reliability above all else. What it has is an uncommon blend of style, luxury and performance that is hard to find. Many cars exceed the Jaguar in luxury, and many in performance, and some in style, but not all three together at a relatively affordable price point (for a used one, at least).

Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 AM
xjb
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The thread is about Consumer Reports reliability surveys. Is it really necessary to inject your political opinion on health care into this automotive forum?

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer

What greater dichotomy can their be that a device that serves no other purpose than to save lives, is actively killing the innocent automobile occupants they are supposed to protect.

Of course, here in the United States the agency (NHTSA) that is supposed to assure automobile safety has again failed miserably in their responsibilities, including their web site (just like Obama Care's roll-out).

Swimref (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Consumer Reports and Jaguar in the same sentence? Doesn't sound right to me. I might be wrong but I can't see prospective Jag owners reading CR. Jags are more of an emotional thing, IMHO.

I've always viewed Consumers Reports only as something for someone who has been married 5.33 to 8.74 years, has 2.65 children, annual income of $65100 to $83180, 3.91 years of college education, living in a 3.27 bedroom house.......

Well, you get the idea

Cheers
DD

Jffcurt (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
One problem I see is that they lump all models of a particular brand name together.
Oddly enough, for Jaguar, many of the issues are the same between models--water pumps failing, electrical gremlins, etc.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by xjb
The thread is about Consumer Reports reliability surveys. Is it really necessary to inject your political opinion on health care into this automotive forum?
Apparently you haven't used the government's website to try and check the VIN of your cars to see if they are involved in this recall. I didn't inject my political opinion on health care whatsoever, I simply pointed out our federal government run web sites suck, as these two monstrous failures clearly exhibit.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Oddly enough, for Jaguar, many of the issues are the same between models--water pumps failing, electrical gremlins, etc.
Drivers continue to report problems with infotainment systems in new cars and trucks, according to Consumer Reports' Auto Reliability Survey.

Of all the areas in its annual survey, the category including in-car electronics generated more complaints from owners of 2014 models than any other category.

Water pumps have always been a high warranty item of all auto manufactures because they use inferior mechanical face seal designs. The seal manufactures are in no hurry to correct the situation because they make more money (as much as five times more) from aftermarket pump rebuilders, than on seals for the OEM pumps.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 10-28-2014 at 02:48 PM.
QP7 (01-27-2024)
Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I think we are in good company as these marks were absent too:

Bentley
Ferrari
Lamborghini
Maserati
McLaren
Rolls Royce

Old 10-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

FIAT now own Jeep . FIAT allways end up at the **** end ( last ) of Uk surveys , along with Renault & Peugeot . As an ex Jeep owner ( Ok so it was only a UK spec Patriot ) my main concern is that ,,as this survey shows , FIAT will drag the American Icon , JEEP, down with it .

I didn't see Morgan on the Survey either .....

Old 10-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by XJsss
I think we are in good company as these marks were absent too:

Bentley
Ferrari
Lamborghini
Maserati
McLaren
Rolls Royce
A great observation. Elite cars don't associate with commoner forms of transportation.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:01 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Elite cars don't make the list because sales are super low. Besides, you can buy an older model for pennies on the dollar, but you'll still be charged outrageous amounts for regular maintenance.

Jags are in a weird spot, because they don't have big enough sales volumes and at the same time are desired cars by some, that most of the times abandon the idea due to high and fast depreciation plus the aforementioned gremlins and high cost of maintenance.

Btw the airbag problem affects Hondas only. And what is about the Lexus engineering that makes their cars so bullet proof? No, they aren't perfect but they're miles away in front of Germans and domestics when it comes to reliability and low cost of ownership.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
Btw the airbag problem affects Hondas only. And what is about the Lexus engineering that makes their cars so bullet proof? No, they aren't perfect but they're miles away in front of Germans and domestics when it comes to reliability and low cost of ownership.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s list of 7.8 million affected vehicles includes more than 50 models from Toyota, Honda, Mazda, BMW, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors, made between 2000 and 2011.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default FiAT

Originally Posted by Five Speed
FIAT now own Jeep . FIAT allways end up at the **** end ( last ) of Uk surveys , along with Renault & Peugeot . As an ex Jeep owner ( Ok so it was only a UK spec Patriot ) my main concern is that ,,as this survey shows , FIAT will drag the American Icon , JEEP, down with it .

I didn't see Morgan on the Survey either .....

The "Fix It Again Tony" company, (FIAT), owns Alfa, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep etc., Ferrari, Lancia, Maserati and of course, Fiat. Maybe a little too much of a good thing (?).

Now, they need a little cash so they want to sell-off Ferrari. Any buyers out there????

Luck
King Fala