XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2014 MY XJ Model Line Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts
Default 2014 MY XJ Model Line Information

Engines

§ The XJL Portfolio (RWD) is now equipped with a 3.0L V6 supercharged engine, replacing the 5.0L V8 Naturally aspirated engine which is discontinued on the car line
§ A new 550hp version of the 5.0L V8 supercharged engine is added to the line‐up as standard fitment of the XJR while the 510hp version is eliminated.

Engine fitment:

Standard Wheelbase
XJ------------------------------------ 3.0L V6 S/C 340hp
XJ AWD--------------------------- 3.0L V6 S/C 340hp
XJ Supercharged------------ 5.0L V8 S/C 470hp
XJR (swb)----------------------- 5.0L V8 S/C 550hp

Long Wheelbase
XJL Portfolio--------------------3.0L V6 S/C 340hp
XJL Portfolio AWD-----------3.0L V6 S/C 340hp
XJL Supercharged------------5.0L V8 S/C 470hp
XJR (lwb)--------------------------5.0L V8 S/C 550hp

v Derivatives

§ As already announced, XJR in both standard and long wheel base versions are introduced.
§ The XJ/XJL Supersport derivatives are being discontinued. The semi‐aniline interiorpreviously only available on these models will be offered as an option

v Features

· Soft door close introduced as a standard feature on all derivatives
· Front seat massage functionality significantly enhanced with 5 settings and 5 intensity levels
· New options available on long wheel base derivatives only:
Ø Electric side window sunblind (L models only)
Ø Meridian 1,300 watts Reference Audio system with conversation assist are added but only available on long wheelbase models, except the XJRL with sport seating as 3 speakers (1-tweeter, and 2-midrange speakers) are in each front seat back facing the rear passengers.
· Introduction of soft feel trim on the instrument panel and door top of the XJ entry trim level (Portfolio trim continues to upgrade to soft grain leather)
· Canvas and Parchment headliner colors replaced with Ivory
· Wood veneer rear tray tables discontinued across all long wheelbase derivatives

vAt 2014MY, the following changes to the engine line‐up are implemented:
§ The 3.0L V6 supercharged engine replaces the 5.0LV8 naturally aspirated on the XJL Portfolio RWD, aligning the standard and long wheelbase models engine fitment.
§ The 5.0L V8 naturally aspirated engine is no longer available on any XJ derivatives.
§ The 5.0L V8 supercharged engine in 510hp version is eliminated replaced by a 550hp version fitted to the XJR.
v Semi aniline leather trim
§ The semi‐aniline interior trim previously standard on the Supersport models is now offered as an option on all derivatives except for the XJ V6 S/C RWD or theXJ V6 S/C AWD.
§ The semi‐aniline leather trim upgrade consistsof:
· Semi‐aniline leather on front and rear seatingsurfaces
· Leather headliner
· Soft grain leather stitched and tailored upper fascia, IP binnacle, door top roll,door pannier, door armrest and center console lid with twin needle stitching
· Front seat massage

Semianilineis not available in conjunction with sportstyleseats.
When ordered on the XJR, the vehicle comes fitted with front “Comfort‐style” with out the “R” logo branding (front or rear seats). The option is also only available with restricted color choices and only with Piano Black or Carbon Fiber veneers.

Veneers
v Satin Zebrano is available to order on any Portfolio trim‐equipped derivative
v Veneers previously available with the Supersport models are now orderable in conjunction with the semi‐aniline interior trim upgrade option

Mataiva Wheels will now be available on the XJ/XJL Supercharged Models

This information is what the dealers have received in a more complete form.

Last edited by XJsss; 08-13-2013 at 04:16 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by XJsss:
axr6 (08-04-2013), barryf43 (08-05-2013), ExpatJag (08-21-2013), LiquidIce (08-06-2013), Ralph12345 (08-06-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

The most obvious change is from the 5.0 V8 to the 3.0 V6 SC. While I have the 5.0 in both our XJL and XF, I must say that if given a choice I would be somewhat torn to choose. But, I guess, no choice will be given.

For general feel and driving I prefer the smooth relaxed power of the 5.0. However, when it comes to MPG the 3.0 seems to be a lot more frugal. While many of us do not purchase a big Jaguar for fuel economy, the difference made me think.

I did the same 42 miles drive in my 5.0 XJL and an XF loaner with the 3.0. My XJL returned a very decent 25.6 MPG on that mostly freeway drive but, the XF got itself a 32.7 MPG. That is a very significant difference.

So, I guess, V8 fans get your cars before that NA V8 disappears likely forever.

Albert

Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Not a big deal but does anyone know why the wood veneer picnic tray tables are being discontinued?

This higher level trim model feature has for years always been part of the Jaguar XJ lineup.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Jag needs to make these improvements to better complete with the new ML S-Class, Audi A/S-8 and 7 series BMWs. The big question to me is whether they are upgrading the technology and electronics. If so, the XJR would look very tempting

Old 08-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks XJsss for the info!
So what are going to be the different engine choices now? Will we still have three types of engines?
V6 S/C
V8 S/C ??? HP (the one currently used in the regular S/C model)
V8 S/C 550 HP (the one used in the XJR version)

Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Here are the engine choices:

Standard Wheelbase
XJ------------------------------------ 3.0L V6 S/C 340hp
XJ AWD--------------------------- 3.0L V6 S/C 340hp
XJ Supercharged------------ 5.0L V8 S/C 470hp
XJR (swb)----------------------- 5.0L V8 S/C 550hp

Long Wheelbase
XJL Portfolio--------------------3.0L V6 S/C 340hp
XJL Portfolio AWD-----------3.0L V6 S/C 340hp
XJL Supercharged------------5.0L V8 S/C 470hp
XJR (lwb)--------------------------5.0L V8 S/C 550hp

I have edited my first post to reflect the engines.

Last edited by XJsss; 08-07-2013 at 12:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LiquidIce (08-14-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Will never purchase an XJ with a V6 engine...supercharged or not

So looks like the next XJL will have at least be a V8 Supercharged powerplant...

Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad idea getting rid of the v8, this is a big car it should not compete with the Audi a7 or the mb cls, it's a direct competitor of the sl 550/bmw750 both 5.0v8s
In fact I was waiting for the v8 to come in AWD , I have a 2011 waiting to trade but I will not trade for a v6

SAD SAD MAD

Old 08-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Will never purchase an XJ with a V6 engine...supercharged or not
I quite agree, it would just feel wrong...

Old 08-09-2013, 04:31 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Nixing the V8 was a big mistake, now you have to get the SC to get it. Bad marketing strategy by Jaguar IMO.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe that this is driven more by CAFE regulations than marketing strategy. I also think it depends on whether you have owned a V8 or are used to them. The first XJ I test drove was the V6 SC model. I didn't think it was that bad, and it would not have prevented me from buying it, had I not been looking for more a indulgence. Now that I'm used to the V8 SC, it's different.

I had a XF loaner for a day and out about 50 miles on it. It was a AWD V6 model. The driving was totally different. With the V8 SC, I've had to get used to feathering the throttle in everyday driving. The V6 you have to push to get it going. It does move OK when pushed though.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to XJsss for the info. In addition to the above changes, I've noticed in interior shots of the new XJR that the inside door handles have been redesigned with adjacent lock/unlock switches on all doors. The central locking button on the center console is retained though.
A few queries - Why have they discontinued the wood rear tray tables? That further reduces the already sparse amount of interior wood trim.
-Where's the power side window blind switches located?
As I intend to buy an XJL SC before the end of the current car's life cycle, I was hoping for Jag to make some other changes :
-More wood trim on the center console
-Climate controls similar to the XF,with more switches & less knobs
-Sliding sunvisors
Also if they could fit the new Range Rover's 360 deg camera at a later date,that would be fantastic. The S-class,7-series,A8 & Panamera all have it.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I think that the XJ is going the wrong direction and am VERY glad I bought my 2013 XJL Portfolio 5.0 V8 last month. I drove the V6 and wasn't at all impressed. Also think the lack of the wooden tray tables is sad.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Here is more.....

news categories: auto moto tuning safety stars & cars industry tech toys motorsport

2014 Jaguar XJ Announced with Enhanced Interior and Technology

share:

text size: A- A+

Jaguar has announced that the XJ sedan will feature a number technological upgrades and interior improvements for the 2014 model year.

Updates introduced across the entire lineup include 18-inch Manra lightweight forged alloy wheels, a new center armrest, soft closing door technology, a revised entertainment system with two high-resolution touchscreens, and an optional Meridian Reference Audio System featuring Conversation Assist.

Moving on to the long wheelbase models, Jaguar has added twin “airline” style reclining seats with massage function, function, increased headroom, fold-out business tables, and a re-tuned rear suspension set-up for improved rear seat ride comfort.

As expected, the engine lineup will be carried over from the 2013 model year, but the entry-level 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine has gained the company’s Intelligent Stop/Start system as standard.

“The 2014 XJ represents the summit of Jaguar’s luxury saloon range. The XJ’s unparalleled breadth of talent combines class-leading levels of luxury, comfort and performance with the elegant, contemporary design for which Jaguar is renowned,” said Adrian Hallmark, global brand director at Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Executive
Updates introduced across the entire lineup include 18-inch Manra lightweight forged alloy wheels, a new center armrest, soft closing door technology, a revised entertainment system with two high-resolution touchscreens, and an optional Meridian Reference Audio System featuring Conversation Assist.

Moving on to the long wheelbase models, Jaguar has added twin “airline” style reclining seats with massage function, function, increased headroom, fold-out business tables, and a re-tuned rear suspension set-up for improved rear seat ride comfort.

As expected, the engine lineup will be carried over from the 2013 model year, but the entry-level 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine has gained the company’s Intelligent Stop/Start system as standard.

“The 2014 XJ represents the summit of Jaguar’s luxury saloon range. The XJ’s unparalleled breadth of talent combines class-leading levels of luxury, comfort and performance with the elegant, contemporary design for which Jaguar is renowned,” said Adrian Hallmark, global brand director at Jaguar.
Seem like Jaguar might start a TRULY great trend in REDUCING the wheel sizes? Up to this point 19" was the smallest on the XJ, as far as I know. I just switched the wheels/tires between my 18" XF and 19"XJL. The wheel offsets fit fine. Initial impressions are that the XJL ride has improved while the XF degraded. But, longer drives this week will be needed for full results. Also interesting that after re-tuning the suspension for better ride in 2013, they make further changes in the rear suspension. I frankly could not objectively or even subjectively feel the ride difference between the 2012s and the re-tuned 2013s. Hope they finally get it right and the XJL begins to provide that silky ride like models of years past.

Also, the top post seem to indicated that the V8 NA will no longer be available in 2014.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-20-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Albert,

I don't believe Jaguar offered 18s on the X351, you are correct on that.

Glad to hear you finally switched the wheels around with good feedback. If it comes down to it, you can always pick up set of 18s for the betterment of the long commute in the XJ.

Keep us posted once you do make that long trip.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Albert,

I don't believe Jaguar offered 18s on the X351, you are correct on that.

Glad to hear you finally switched the wheels around with good feedback. If it comes down to it, you can always pick up set of 18s for the betterment of the long commute in the XJ.

Keep us posted once you do make that long trip.
As it is, if this works out, I may keep the 18" on the XJL and have my wife drive the 19's on her short local trips. The XF looks very muscle-bound wearing the 19"s with the 275 rears. Speeds checked by GPS at 70MPH are now 2.5 MPH too slow on the XJL with the smaller wheels while it is dead accurate on the XF with the larger wheels.

As to the wheel size comparison the XF wheels are actually 1" less in diameter than the XJL wheels. That would allow me to get a 245/50/18 set of tires which would give me 0.5 inch more sidewall, therefore more flex, better ride while being the same diameter as the 19" XJL tires.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-20-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

I do not know where the idea of 18" wheels being offered on the XJ comes from as this is what I have from the Dealer Product Brief:

Attached Files
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
As it is, if this works out, I may keep the 18" on the XJL and have my wife drive the 19's on her short local trips. The XF looks very muscle-bound wearing the 19"s with the 275 rears. Speeds checked by GPS at 70MPH are now 2.5 MPH too slow on the XJL with the smaller wheels while it is dead accurate on the XF with the larger wheels.

As to the wheel size comparison the XF wheels are actually 1" less in diameter than the XJL wheels. That would allow me to get a 245/50/18 set of tires which would give me 0.5 inch more sidewall, therefore more flex, better ride while being the same diameter as the 19" XJL tires.
Albert
That would work too as the XF is only used for short trips.

Have you carved any corners in the XF with the 19" wheels and wider tires?

Originally Posted by XJsss
I do not know where the idea of 18" wheels being offered on the XJ comes from as this is what I have from the Dealer Product Brief:
It's possible the info in the blog is inaccurate. Here is a statement from Autoblog, but nothing about wheels...

Jaguar rolls out 2014 XJ updates - Autoblog

Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

That would work too as the XF is only used for short trips.

Have you carved any corners in the XF with the 19" wheels and wider tires?
Yes, somewhat. Following the installation, during my test drive of the XF we had a very rare summer rainfall, making the road surfaces unusually slippery. Over my local winding roads I worked myself up on the rear bumper of the latest ZO6 and stuck with it. I did not want to press my luck with a pass attempt due to the rain but, it was obvious that the V8 XF was up to the task with its bigger tires. The Z06 was definitely trying but, intimidated by the rain.

On the rear the XJL wheel offset with the 275s is perfect, tires just out to the fenders. On the front I still had the 15mm H&R spacers that located the big front tires perfectly, as well. I could easily feel in the steering that with the summer radials that I moved from the XJL the XF now has definitely more grip than with the stock all-seasons. Just makes the wonderful handling of the XF even better. The half inch ride height increase is not noticeable visually or handling wise.

The only negative was that as I was coming up to the house on the rough approach road, I begun hearing what I think was the door seal rattle. I think that was due to the rougher ride from the XJL wheels/tires. So, today I lubed the doors seals. Of course, my wife would never notice it either way.

Albert

Quick Reply: 2014 MY XJ Model Line Information