XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2014 XJR Upgraded Inter-Cooler and Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts
Default 2014 XJR Upgraded Inter-Cooler and Pump

I swapped out the stock inter-cooler for a larger all Al. one. All 5.0L SC cars across Jaguar's product range use the same IC.
Part #C2C39565. Be aware that there is a wide range of price for these things and I stupidly did not dig deep enough and paid
an additional $500! There was sticker on the unit when I got it and it was a Paramount sticker!
Looks like they are all the same so I think there is only one place that actually makes these.

Paramont has them for around 1000 GBP. This is the best price I can currently find.
Intercooler

DO NOT get it from here!
Intercooler

It is a high quality all AL. TIG welded unit. No crappy plastic end tanks like the stock unit. No idea if it's made in the UK or not but the workmanship is top notch!
Here are 2 units are compared;

Not too bad of an install. Front bumper must come off but that's pretty easy. Then everything is out in the open to work on.
Here is what you have after the bumper is removed. IC and pump right up front. Pump mounted on the left side of the picture.

Some wiggling of the old IC is required to get it out. The new one is thicker but fits the brackets fine. One difference is there is no spot on the new IC to bolt the pump to. No problem and I used a tie wrap on the back side just to keep things from moving. The pump is the old stand by Bosch 010 pump. This is added to many cars and is a common upgrade. I followed Bigg Will on this one and swapped the electrical plug over to the Mercedes version. With the IC out of the car fitting the pump is easy. Bigg Will did it with the IC in the car and it's very tight to get the old pump out and new one in with all the tight bent rubber hoses. Also requires some trimming of the rubber holder on the pump but it's easy to see what needs to be trimmed back.

Here it is all installed and ready to put the front bumper back on.

I have been data logging and still can't tell if I got any improvements or not and I look at cooling mods as more for reliability and durability over the long haul instead of HP increases like a pulley or tune.
I really don't find my car in heat soak even in hot temperatures?

I added the stage II tune at the same time and am very happy with VAP's tune. I think it is conservative and I still am running stock non-copper core spark plugs too.
I think there is more to be had with the tune but probably won't push it right now.

But again data is sparse in the Jaguar world. I am looking at IAT2 temps and catalyst temperature with my scan tools to look for problems.
Not really any numbers out there to compare too?
I mean how hot is too hot for the intake air temp and the catalyst temp?
With other cars/models I do see these types of numbers to use as tuning aids.

PS; Anyone looking for a stock inter-cooler? I have one for sale.

The following 5 users liked this post by clubairth1:
Lightspeed (11-29-2019), Panthro (12-02-2019), Reaxions (08-25-2023), TXFireblade (11-29-2019), XJ8JR (12-02-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks great, nice job! I’ve seen this cooler used on other models but nice to see it also fits our XJs well.

I would assume the best way to see a measurable difference would be to look at coolant temps in the supercharger circuit. Unfortunately there is no integrated temp sensor that I’m aware of that measures this.

When I measure my cat temps by OBD scanner, I think it’s measuring the heated o2 sensor because it reads around 1600 degrees on my Bluetooth scanner. Yet when I used a thermal gun on the cats it actually measures around 250-300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also how are IATs used for diagnosis? Are these the temp sensors that are part of the MAFs, or are they different sensors? Thanks.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Blower cars have at least 2 IAT (Inlet Air Temperature) sensors. So I am looking at IAT2 on my XJR.
I "think" that is the correct sensor to monitor. This should be the temperature coming out of the inter cooler before the air enters the engine.
I have seen a post about this being the wrong sensor to monitor but that explanation fell apart as no other sensor was mentioned.

IAT is before the blower so basically air temperature with no heating from the blower.

Old 11-29-2019, 02:17 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Okay got it. This must be from the TMAP sensor in the back of the engine. My understanding is it measures everything about the air after the supercharger.

Im wondering whether the compressed air temp would actually be colder, or if it would just allow more air to enter and then become compressed, heating it back up.

Old 11-29-2019, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

@ clubairth1 I'm interested in the difference you encounter with the larger radiator and increased capacity circulation pump over the stock setup.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yep that is the question because I don't know how to measure it without adding a bunch of sensors. It's bigger so it should delay heat soak but again unless you have exactly the same operating conditions like on a dyno you are still guessing. I do play a lot with Torque Pro and other engine apps monitoring different things.