XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 -2019 XJ InControl Touch Pro 8” to 10.2” factory upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020 | 05:12 AM

Ah those vents.... the last XJ I worked on they popped out very easily, although it was a 2010, it seems they have done something to the 2016 vents to make them impossible to remove.

Got them out in the end by removing them in three pieces, no damage fortunately...

Thanks to Dave, we are at the mid-point of this conversion from 8" to 10.2", so far so good.

8" InControl Touch Pro

We got the dealer to make the update to 19C, the version in the car was so old it was impossible to check what the version was, so far as we could tell it had never been updated since the car was built.

Veneer / facia 10.2" vs 8", I was a little disappointed that the 10.2" version did not have the chrome strip around the outside like the 8" version.

10.2" screen came out of a Range Rover Sport, got the mounting bracket as a spare part.

The dash centre reinforcing section, was bought new.

Checked the map version, I couldn't tell if this was new enough or not. The latest version for Australasia & Pacific is 08.030.0105.0154, which I tried to purchase, but in typical fashion they took my money, but the download didn't work, the HERE site directed me to the Australia Jaguar Customer Relation Centre, who have done nothing more than reply with a generic email and a ticket number. As we couldn't wait I pressed on without the map update, but it seems like we got lucky, because the existing maps display fine on the 10.2" screen.

Fitted the 10.2" screen to the car, along with the updated FCIM, and this is what we saw, the 8" image offset to left with some black vertical lines. Well at least we knew that the 2nd hand wrecker screen was functional.

After the CCF changes and Variant Coding, we got this upon re-boot.

Which was very promising!

And there it is, woohooo!!!!

The whole point of this exercise was to get Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, and there it is!

For whatever reason, it's almost impossible to get a good picture of the CarPlay screen with the InControl Touch Pro, it's the same on the other JLR models with this screen, I don't know why, but it's only the CarPlay screens that blow out the exposure of the camera.

SDD

Complete stack, ready to go back in, all fits together well, factory parts so no surprise.

With the veneer / trim

Current state of the car, re-assembly tomorrow.

The only thing I haven't addressed is the camera module, yes we need to re-flash it, but i'm waiting on some guidance from the gurus, if we flash it with SDD, flash it with Pathfinder, or flash it via other means, or simply replace it.

Will post up some pics once it's all back together.

Last edited by Cambo; 03-25-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2020 | 11:49 AM
|
Veteran Member

I'm glad its going ok. Looks like you didn't need to remove the floor console entirely to wiggle the bracket out which is helpful to know.

That XJ looks to be an R, so be sure to change the CCF for the Vehicle sub type from Mainstream vehicle to Racing (or similar, I forget the actual byte labels and I am stuck at home now due to this coronavirus).
It will change the loading graphic from Jaguar to the R emblem with some fancy animated swirls. That's all it does, but it looks nice.

Old 03-25-2020 | 04:45 AM

Like this?

Old 03-25-2020 | 04:52 AM
|
Veteran Member

That's the one!

Old 03-25-2020 | 04:56 AM
Old 03-25-2020 | 04:57 AM

Couldn't have taken worse photos if I tried....

Old 04-04-2020 | 08:31 AM
|
Veteran Member

IPMB - camera module - addendum

It is now confirmed that as well as the official JJ32-14F026-AC (C2D55068) module, you can re-flash HY32-14F026-AH and likely other A# revisions of that part to work with the 10.2" HMI. I've attached a photo here for reference.

As more people complete this upgrade, if further modules are found to be compatible with the flashing process described in this thread please can you share the part numbers.

I'm particularly interested in compatibility for the non-360 camera version as so far I've only done or seen this done with the 360 cars.

Old 04-18-2020 | 06:21 AM

Thanks again to Dave for sorting out the camera module.

So cameras working correctly now, job done!

I borrowed an Android phone to test out the Android Auto (since I only have an iPhone).

I haven't spent much time with the "new" XJ so was interesting to find a few little features I wasn't aware of.

Very cool.

Once again big THANK-YOU to Dave for making this possible, and all the other upgrades he's pioneered over the years.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
christ (04-18-2020), xdave (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020 | 09:25 AM
R R

Thank you Dave.

My hands-on ability is not as good as yours.
so I went to a car modification factory to upgarde my infortainment system and screen.

Screen upgarde was successful.They modified the centre reinforcement bracket by using angle grinder instead of replacing it.

But there is something went wrong when they tried to update the infortainment system.

The infortainment system host was bricked.They have to remove it form the trunk then sent it to the jlr factory.

I waited for a few days for the host.When it got back it was updated to phase 4 and the infortainment system version is 19C_19.46.48-458817.

After writing the map data and reflashing the camera module the new infortainment system finally worked.

It costed about 900 dollars.

The new system works great so far.
But I noticed If I use the dark skin in the night and adjust to the highest brightness,the screen will appear slight water ripples from top to bottom.

There is no water ripples on the start-up page.It only shows up when the system is ready and the jaguar logo disappear.

This problem is very minor and can even be ignored but it bothers me.

Old 07-10-2020 | 12:40 AM

This post is absolutely fantastic! Great work! I want to see if this is also possible on a 2016 F type R with the Gen 2.1 system(since the unit is the same as the XJ I believe). The main drawback of the f type is this slow and ugly screen IMO. @xdave

Old 07-15-2020 | 02:03 PM
|
Veteran Member

It will not be possible with the F-Type, pre-IMC. Although middle model years had a system that looked similar to the ICTP box-style UI, it was still based on the old hardware.

Old 07-15-2020 | 02:15 PM
|
Veteran Member

I missed a part from the programming instructions at the start of this thread.

In order to get Apple CarPlay and Android Auto working you will still need to enable the smartphone pack. To avoid going to a dealer for this you have two options:
1) Run the smartphone pack candidate from SDD, or,
2) Set the Connect and View module bit in the CCF to enable it when you make the other changes.

For the CCF approach, the byte you want is 244, and you want to change it to 0x0E which is labelled as "mySPIN, CarPlay & Android Auto". (mySPIN is what the InControl apps run on.) As noted before, please check the byte number in your CCF XML file to ensure it is the same for your car.

Another forum member has just completed this upgrade on their 2016 XJ and found that the entire floor console doesn't need removing from the car - you only need to loosen it and move it backwards a little to get the centre reinforcement bracket out. That avoids the hassle of detaching the gearbox park release cable.

We also discovered that there may not have been any XJs produced with the 10.2" screen that did not have the 360 camera system fitted (so only the rear view camera).
I spent a couple of hours testing out different software codes to try and find a match, but nothing would download from JLR. The logical conclusion is that was because the software does not exist, or that I still haven't found the right release number. If you have, or know of, an XJ with the 10.2" screen factory fitted that only has the rear view camera please can you PM me with the VIN so I can grab the as-built files for inspection?

Because the forum member's XJ only had the rear view camera, we fitted the module from a similarly equipped Evoque which provided the correct UI and options, however I was unable to flash the XJ calibration data onto it for the reason above. Because the camera position is different on the two models the reversing direction lines and 'sonar' bars were drawn a bit too high. The WERS was HK83-14F026-CF.

Fortunately it looks easy to retrofit the 360 camera system using overlays...

Last edited by xdave; 07-15-2020 at 02:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cambo (07-27-2020)
Old 07-15-2020 | 02:27 PM
|
Veteran Member

Just a quick additional note for my future self to read before I forget again:

When the boot/trunk is open you won't get any reversing direction lines or 'sonar' bars shown on the camera display, and the UI button to enable them is disabled. I spent hours trying to get that feature working on my first upgraded car, before I found by accident that the feature is only available when the boot is closed. When doing this most recent car I forgot about that again and could not work out what it was not working until everything was packed up and I went to reverse the car out of the workshop and there it was rolling its eyes at me.

Old 09-16-2020 | 04:20 AM
|
Veteran Member

Quick PSA:

As of SDD v160, released last week, the NGI updates are now enabled again for SDD cars like the X351. There have been no downloadable NGI packages since December 2019 so you can only update to 19C at the moment, but if you are at I think 18C or maybe 19A or later you can ask a dealer to turn on SOTA in TOPIx (only dealer-level logins have the option) so you can get SOTA to 20B.

You need a 64GB USB 3.0 drive, and use the new InControl Touch Pro USB tool on the quick launch dashboard which formats the USB drive, sets up some ext partitions with the files on, and verifies the data back again. Then you launch SDD as normal, select the Electrical | Entertainment top level symptom and on the Recommended actions tab you will now be able to execute the Update phase 4 infotainment candidate that was blocked since mid-January 2020.

As ever with module updates route all the diagnostic cables where they will not get knocked by a hand or foot during the programming else you can brick things. You will need access to the arm rest USB ports during the update.

(NB at present the IMC update is the only one that uses this new more robust process - the ISC (rear entertainment controller) uses the old process still so given the frequency of failures with the old process I would avoid doing ISC updates with SDD at the moment. The IMC downloads and applies the SOTA updates so connect to WiFi and use that for now.)

While playing around with this I updated a couple of used IMCs I have for testing with, and was surprised to find that you can relearn the vehicle VIN to a used module. Normally modules are VIN-locked so you would need to install a virgin module that hasn't had a VIN flashed to it yet, but not the IMCs (at least for the moment). This is important because the connected services (Here mapping) use a shared secret that is linked to the IMC VIN and the BCM VIN. If they differ, which they will with a used module, you wont be able to install any map updates or sign in to your here account for live services. By performing a full IMC re-flash with the latest software to re-learn the VIN and then running the 'notify shared secret' candidate in SDD you can then log in to jaguar.here.com again and have access to the car and any map updates you have already paid for with a used IMC.

Old 09-16-2020 | 04:14 PM
|
Veteran Member

Just wanted to issue a correction:

Originally Posted by xdave
We also discovered that there may not have been any XJs produced with the 10.2" screen that did not have the 360 camera system fitted (so only the rear view camera).
A member has been in touch who does have the 10.2" ICTP and only the rear camera fitted.
I don't have the engineering number for the IPMB/camera module HMI software yet, but will hopefully be able to update this thread in the next few weeks with that information.
That will then open up this upgrade to all 2016MY or later cars without having to use the camera software from a RR model where the rear camera is mounted at a different angle.

If you are someone with a 2016MY or later with the rear camera only and wants to keep it like that but fit the 10.2" screen in place of the 8", please can you drop me a private message with your VIN? It would be good to get a documented upgrade process for that scenario.

The following users liked this post:
mohaqq (09-16-2020)
Old 11-11-2020 | 03:30 PM

@xdave I'm going to see an XJ 2016 tomorrow and hopefully I will buy it, I would like to do the big screen aswell but is way to much for me. I'm in UK aswell, I m not sure if you have a garage but will you ever consider to do it for someone else? I'm more then happy to pay for everything.

Old 11-12-2020 | 07:00 AM

I have XJL 2018 Autobiograply, suppose it is 2016 MY, it have InControl Touch Pro with rear multimedia and 1300W system, is there an option to add Apple CarPlay?
How to check if it is possible to swap 8" with 10" or just run some software update to get AppleCar Play?

Old 11-12-2020 | 08:20 AM

I've found in Navigation menu the following info:
Product name:
InControl TouchPro
App version:
'20.14-1165'
Date Acctivated_
'19.11.2015 0:00'
Last map update:
'11.11.2020 13:38'

Old 11-12-2020 | 02:24 PM
zYx
Cool

Guys, I know you already know but this is amazing. I have an XJ from 2016 with a small screen and 360 cameras and ACC.

Would you consider doing the work or at least the programming for $$$ or maybe recommend a "tool" that will do the job for me? I'd like to do other programming "enhancements" too going forward.

I assume those are Jaguar part numbers and I can only order them from them? Ok I found them in various places... any online stores you can recommend?
Black screen/AC panel surround is C2D55049. - I wouldn't mind getting this brand new, but the item below is a bit steep.
Fascia centre reinforcement bracket is C2D53485.
The metal bracket for the screen is C2D54236.
The FCIM/AC control panel you need depends on the vehicle spec:
With start-stop, dual view, heated windscreen is C2D54084 (WERS JW93-18C858-AA).
With start-stop, single view, heated windscreen is C2D54085.
The IPMB (image processing module B, aka the parking camera module) is C2D55068

When it comes to dual screen, I am not sure what can be seen by the passenger, not sure if I even need/want it but what I would like is to disable the video "inhibition" :] so that I can see the video in motion. I probably not gonna watch it but I don't like the limitation. Is it possible to do this via SDD?

Also, do I really need a new control panel despite different mounting methods? I have the one below. I can see that some hard buttons are replaced with soft buttons such as camera and parking assist, but can I not keep the same panel and carry on using the hard and/or soft buttons, including the dual-view/music button? Even if I need to modify the brackets, if possible? DIY is not scary to me.

The only real concern I have is the SSD and the hardware. I'm new to Jaguar. SDD and "supported hardware" - I'd appreciate it if you could recommend the hardware that works well.

My InControl App version is:
2019A.8-8407

It's been mentioned above that Jag should update it first? Can this not be done via SDD?

Last edited by zYx; 11-12-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2020 | 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
To be very clear – this upgrade is only possible if you have an existing InControl Touch Pro 8” system. These are sometimes referred to as NGI (next generation infotainment), and use the IMC (infotainment master controller) located in the boot/trunk behind the left hand carpet trim. This system was fitted to the XJ from the 2016MY, which is typically from VIN V90866 (although some cars as far back as V88000ish were built as 2016MY).
The IMC does not need to be replaced as the software can simply be configured to use any combination of 8”/10.2” and single view/dual view. There are no wiring changes. If you have the 360 camera feature (front and side cameras) then you will need to replace the IPMB module behind the back seats if you want factory functionality (but it will still work with caveats). If you just have the reverse camera you don’t need to replace the IPMB.
Checked what I have in trunk: I see there FW93-19C211-EK unit, looks kike this one:

It is XJ Long Autobiography with 8" In Control Pro / rear multimedia with Meridian 1300W amplifier / 360 Cam and park assist with AC, under warranty until July 2021
Looks like I have IMC controller which I do not need to change and have possibility for 10.2 upgrade. Last 6 numbers in VIN are V82584.

It looks that I have outdated software, and I do not see an option to download an update like I have in JLR Velar with 10.2" screen. Should I ask dealer to update all the software and modules to latest, or there is some easy DIY route?

Am I right, that to get Apple Car play I need to do upgrade from 8" to 10.2" with changing camera module and only then I can add "Phone pack"?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2016 -2019 XJ InControl Touch Pro 8” to 10.2” factory upgrade